Saltwater Connections

hilop

Reaction score
Hello

I just picked up my 10 weight reel line and backing for a quick trip to Cabo. I’ve always used slip on loops or nail knots for all of my fresh water fishing but I know hard pulling fish require more of everything. What knots should I use for my fly line/backing & fly line/leader?

Thanks

osseous

Reaction score
If you want to keep it simple, you can use an Albright knot for both. Time tested connection which does not rely on friction. Practice it on an old line until you have it down-

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I will never trust those braided loops. NEVER!
And I'm not too keen on Albrights either. They will let loose if not tight and "locked"
If I haven't tied a knot myself, I cut it off and retie it myself.
I use a whipped loop with 3 separate whipped knots. The same whipped knot that you'd use on the head of a fly
It takes seconds.

hilop

Reaction score
Put a braided loop on each end of the fly line...why mess around with a knot? CB
That’s what I ended up doing with a little super glue for support. I used a double surgeons for the backing.

Thanks guys

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
If you want to keep it simple, you can use an Albright knot for both. Time tested connection which does not rely on friction. Practice it on an old line until you have it down-

When you think about it, doesn't every knot rely on friction?

osseous

Reaction score
When you think about it, doesn't every knot rely on friction?
No- it's a jam knot. One line pulls against the other and locks it. The harder you pull, the more pressure is exerted between the opposing lines. As opposed to pulling one line along the surface of the other.

camelbrass

Reaction score
Providing it’s a new, good quality line I just use the welded loops on a 10wt attached to the backing with a double Bimini and double catspaw. Heavier outfits I’ll cut the loops off and attach my own braided ones. Be careful of old Dacron, I’ve not used it in years but remember there was an issue with it deteriorating.

Regards,

Trevor

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
No- it's a jam knot. One line pulls against the other and locks it. The harder you pull, the more pressure is exerted between the opposing lines. As opposed to pulling one line along the surface of the other.

So if you dip the two ends in motor oil before tying it, it will hold just as well? Maybe I will do that experiment at some point.

cb3fish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I will never trust those braided loops. NEVER!
And I'm not too keen on Albrights either. They will let loose if not tight and "locked"
If I haven't tied a knot myself, I cut it off and retie it myself.
I use a whipped loop with 3 separate whipped knots. The same whipped knot that you'd use on the head of a fly
It takes seconds.
Sir,

With all due respect, If you don't trust a braided loop, then your not installing/making them right. The braided loop is the end of all your knot tying problems, IF you know how to "do it right" my 2 cents, now after that being said, it doesn't make any difference to me what knot you use, I just hate to see people say bad things about a good solution-CB

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Mine will~

It seems to me that in the Albright knot the act of pulling on the two ends serves to increase friction between them by "jamming" them tightly against each other. In a friction-free world, though, this becomes irrelevant.

Anyway, under the assumption that no question has ever been asked that someone else has not already posted online, I did a little search and sure enough, the question of whether any knot could hold in a hypothetical friction-free rope is debated all over the place, particularly on various physics sites.

I would attach some links but I am sitting in the car dealership waiting for my airbag recall work to be done and my phone doesn't copy/paste reliably. I could later, but it is easy to search.

By the way, for the record I use a modified Albright for backing-to-line. For the first loop I pass the tag end under rather than over the standing backing line. It seems to lock down better, but who knows: I never seem to hook fish big enough to challenge that knot.

cb3fish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What material are you using for backing? and what are you fishing for? If your fishing for big mean saltwater fish...use loops and braid...If your fishing for Stripers and Steelhead /Salmon or trout...it doesn't make all that difference because they don't pull that hard, however you could snag the bottom and have to yank on it, so almost anything in reason should be OK..my 2 cents CB

osseous

Reaction score
It has stood the test of time- as well as the pull of many mighty fish. Any knot which is poorly tied can fail- that is a separate issue. The Albright takes some time to learn to tie well, but is an excellent knot once perfected.

I just used it to attach my first tippet section to the end of a 5' braided leader- trying S&S's trout leader formula. The one I bought has a loop woven into the end. It made an obvious start for an Albright for my 0X. Worked out great.