What rod??

indiglofish61

Reaction score
A question from a newby at fly fishing . So i got a sage spectrum lt 4/5 wt reel . I got it cause the reviews were good. Anyway, i need some suggestions on what rod med range price, may be 9 or 10 ft. I want to do some trout fishing like rainbow and browns hopefully some good size ones. I looked at the sage rods, they are kinda high priced, thats why i said in the med range. Thank you.

claybanks

Reaction score
The Sage Foundation is a pretty good rod at the price point. A step up from it, in price, is the Pulse and then the Sonic. All of these are in the range of "mid-priced."

I owned the 490 Foundation for a while, and currently own the 586 Pulse. Have cast that configuration in the Sonic series too. They are all very good rods in my opinion, prices between them vary and some of that is because of componentry. The Sonics are built on a different tech.

They are all good, and would all make a solid rod to start fly fishing with. They are also rods that one will be happy to have even after becoming experienced.

One thing I have personally found with Sage is that their warrenty dept is easy to work with. I had an issue (reel seat came loose) with the Foundation, sent it back, and they fixed it for free, I paid for only the shipping. I feel a solid warrenty is important for one getting their first rod and probably having a limited number of rods in the quiver. If one breaks, it's nice to just get it fixed and be back on the water.

jayr

Reaction score
It would help more to describe the area(s) you intend on fishing. You don't have to be really detailed but a general idea as to stream size, density of trees and the like on the stream, etc. Also, what type of fly fishing are you intending to do? Dry, dry dropper, nymph, streamers, etc.?

There are MANY good rods out there other than Sage and I say that as the owner of many Sage fly rods. There are some really good prices out there especially for a beginner. How sure are you that you will continue with fly fishing? It is probably not in your best interest to drop a lot of money on something you are just starting and possibly unsure of. What do you consider medium range prices? That varies from individual to individual. Generally speaking, you buy the rod first then the reel. It's not the end of world if you don't, but one thing I have learned on this board from those far more experienced than I is that you spend the most money on what is closest to the fish with the reel being about as far away as you can get from the fish.

Your bio says you live in IL, correct? Are there areas nearby to you to fish for trout? I am not familiar with that specific area and the opportunists you may or may not have. After all, the absolute best way to learn is to get out there and be on the water.

Last edited:

claybanks

Reaction score
Just to note, I wasn't trying to suggest something beyond what what another considers "mid-priced." Thought that maybe the mention of Sage rods' pricing in the op's post was considering their flagship models and that there was a general interest in Sage, considering the reel is a pretty nice Sage reel and also the op mentioned looking at Sages.

A Foundation is 325 new, and used ones in good condition can go for around 200. Compared to lots of entry level fly rods, these are pretty good imo.

VaFisherman

Reaction score
A question from a newby at fly fishing . So i got a sage spectrum lt 4/5 wt reel . I got it cause the reviews were good. Anyway, i need some suggestions on what rod med range price, may be 9 or 10 ft. I want to do some trout fishing like rainbow and browns hopefully some good size ones. I looked at the sage rods, they are kinda high priced, thats why i said in the med range. Thank you.
I got an email today that Madison River Fishing Co. has Fenwick Aetos 9ft 5wts on sale for $125.00. Thats a good rod at that price point.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Sage pulse and foundation are nice and there is the new sonic that can get you most of what an X can deliver at half the price if you believe the review and if you want a sage rod to match that nice reel. I have not had buyers remorse buying sage, there are used models reasonable in price sure you dont have the warranty but sage will fix them for a nominal fee.

trev

Reaction score
With high end fly rods running ~$800-$1500 and cheapie rods well below $100, what does a "mid priced" mean? would medium price range be something like $270-$640?
Having used some of the $50-$100 rods a few times, they were all functional and in the strictest sense of need, probably all any of us "need", so, at the want and satisfaction level, the best advice in my opinion is; "always buy the best that you can afford."
I suggest to the OP, first describe the waters you will fish by size, then tell what type of flies you likely fish most, then tell us what you like most about any fly rods that you have used or looked at, then nail down a top limit to your budget, a number that you won't go beyond in dollars. There are dozens of possibilities for most types of fly fishing and the more information you provide these guys the better your feedback advice will be.

claybanks

Reaction score
Sage pulse and foundation are nice and there is the new sonic that can get you most of what an X can deliver at half the price if you believe the review and if you want a sage rod to match that nice reel. I have not had buyers remorse buying sage, there are used models reasonable in price sure you dont have the warranty but sage will fix them for a nominal fee.
I have only used Sage's warranty department once, and I was the second owner of that rod. They treated it like under warranty, fixed it for no cost, and the process was easy. I'm not sure if that is normal or how rod registration and repair works with them. Them doing that did give me confidence that they stand behind their rods and warranties.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I have only used Sage's warranty department once, and I was the second owner of that rod. They treated it like under warranty, fixed it for no cost, and the process was easy. I'm not sure if that is normal or how rod registration and repair works with them. Them doing that did give me confidence that they stand behind their rods and warranties.
Yeah man, a friend had his old used deathstar tip section break and Sage fixed it for like 100 bucks he told me, after that I was not afraid of buying used sages.

I`d say a mid priced single hand rod is 400-500 bucks and if the OP is looking at Sage I`m assuming there is a desire for a faster lighter rod with power in reserve and the rest is up to the end user.

Last edited:

coug

Reaction score
I have dealt with them several times and they have always been first-class.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
I'll just throw out a non-related comment to the OP's question but related to some of the above posts. I've owned many rods that I acquired both new and second hand, I have no trepidation buying used and am comfortable with recommending quality, clean, gently used, major maker used rods be a consideration for others looking at acquisitions of rods. Why? Because, mirroring the above comments, most major makers are very reasonable with repairs in regard to their non-warranty issues. Often a repair is free, or $50-$100, +/- shipping, which is really not much difference than a rod under warranty. If the cost savings in purchasing a used rod allows for a couple, or three repairs from new cost of same rod, then one can "safely" acquire a second hand rod without that concern being a roadblock, and often, this allows an angler the opportunity to buy top tier offerings at a "mid level" or even less price point. For Newbies, this is not only a good alternative for developing a quiver, but a pretty safe one too.....meaning if you buy a top tier rod for 50%-60% of it's original cost, you, arguably have two benefits - 1) You are using better equipment which might make your learning curve easier and you are being introduced to best performance out of the gate and 2) if the poop hits the fan and they decide fly fishing is just simply not "their thing" they can very likely re-sell their equipment for what they paid for it....which is not likely the case if they purchased new less high end gear. To me this is the safety net for those exploring fly fishing and uncertain of their length of interest. With one caveat....they either need to research and understand the products value before purchase...or rely on an experienced angler for advise before making the acquisition in any secondary market. This all said....OP you may wish to explore a top tier offering in a used rod as an acquisition.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
Look for a Winston on close out. MFRC is a good place to start.

callihan_44

Reaction score
IF you have never cast a fly rod I would read a ton of reviews, I think $500 +/- $100 is a price point I would shoot for used...medium action, yeah you can get a cheaper rod but it may cast like crap and then you'll decide fly fishing may not be for you....one thing if you buy a decent rod you may not take much of a hit if you decide to sell it....orvis- g loomis - sage - winston ....I started with a $250 low end sage , ive recommend the orvis recon to alot of people