The TT Book Review – What We Have Been Reading

J

John Bailey

As we all know, angling is special in part because of its vastly rich literary history. There is no other sport that has been so written about over the centuries and even today, the flood of angling books continues unchecked.

Our vintage tackle store Thomas Turner sells special books. Rare ones. Signed ones. Special editions. Old ones. But we don’t always have to spend serious money to read about our sport. We’d like to think this review is the first of many. Please send us your own reviews of books you have been reading. If you have enjoyed them – great. If you have not, tell everyone why. This is the Thomas Turner Book Club, if you like, and like everything else we publish, we aim to tell the truth as we see it. So, don’t be afraid to write what you think, but please keep any criticisms sensible, objective and constructive.

Obviously, most of the books in TTBC will be fishing-focused but don’t be afraid of reviewing books on wildlife or conservation that you think have a bearing on where the sport is going.

Winter is here. If you can’t get out to the bankside because of weather or Covid, a book by a fire with a glass of something has to be the next best thing!

The post The TT Book Review – What We Have Been Reading appeared first on Fish and Fly.

Source Article...

bocianka1

Reaction score
I just finished reading

Fly Fishing the Book Series, volume 1: Fishing the Film by Gary Borger.

I found it to be a good comprehensive book that covered surface fishing pretty extensively in many more aspects than I would have thought possible.

There are great detailed sections on different casts, how to perform them, and when they are most effective.

My only critique was the flies shown are often hand drawings. While the drawings are well done, I have found I need color hi-res photos to fully appreciate the differences in flies. But the internet is available to look up flies if I need to. I have no doubt using black and white drawings is more economical and keeps the publishing costs down. Overall, the book was very informative and gave me much to think about. I have already borrowed a copy of volume 2: Reading Waters to begin reading. I suspect the whole series will be worth reading.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi John,

Just spotted the post, my only new addition over the past couple years was ..............

I just acquired that copy a while back this year and am only at the 1/2 of it. Based on the first half it appears to be a winner. Don't let the Pacific Salmon on the cover mislead you, the book covers the Atlantic Salmon as well. I'll have more to say after the mood arises and I finish up with it but thus far it's been the most engaging salmon book I've turned pages on.

bocianka1

Reaction score
Only books obtained through Thomas Turner?
I had wondered the same thing. I was all set to start a What Have You Been Reading thread when I searched and found this TT post. It seemed silly to have two nearly identical posts running and the TT intro seemed to indicate they are just looking for posts about books in general not specifically acquired through TT. So I just posted here. If that was incorrect, I'm sure Ard or someone will let us know and we can start a 2nd thread if necessary.

silver creek

Reaction score
I just finished reading

Fly Fishing the Book Series, volume 1: Fishing the Film by Gary Borger.

I found it to be a good comprehensive book that covered surface fishing pretty extensively in many more aspects than I would have thought possible.

There are great detailed sections on different casts, how to perform them, and when they are most effective.

My only critique was the flies shown are often hand drawings. While the drawings are well done, I have found I need color hi-res photos to fully appreciate the differences in flies. But the internet is available to look up flies if I need to. I have no doubt using black and white drawings is more economical and keeps the publishing costs down. Overall, the book was very informative and gave me much to think about. I have already borrowed a copy of volume 2: Reading Waters to begin reading. I suspect the whole series will be worth reading.

Fishing The Film is a great book as are the other books he has since published in this 20 book series:

Reading Waters
Long Flies
The Angler as Predator
Fly Gear

I just spoke with Gary a few days ago and he has written the next few books in the series which are not yet in publication:

The Perfect Cast I
The Perfect Cast II
The Perfect Cast III

I was fortunate enough to proof read the rough and prepublication drafts of Fishing The Film before the Jason Borger added the illustrations. I strongly recommend it to fly fishers who want become better and choosing and fishing flies on, in, and just under the film; and who want to really understand the process of emergence.

The book is self published by Gary through Tomorrow River Press which is Gary's company. The Tomorrow River is a local river that we fish.

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 3.06.41 PM.png

Last edited:

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I had wondered the same thing. I was all set to start a What Have You Been Reading thread when I searched and found this TT post. It seemed silly to have two nearly identical posts running and the TT intro seemed to indicate they are just looking for posts about books in general not specifically acquired through TT. So I just posted here. If that was incorrect, I'm sure Ard or someone will let us know and we can start a 2nd thread if necessary.

I think a thread like this would take off without a business involved.
What's in it for TT to do this? I would gladly contribute to such a thread without that involvement.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
The big guy in the red suit delivered a wonderful book last Friday,it's Monte Burke's "Lords of the Fly..Madness,Obsession,and the Hunt for the World Record Tarpon".I don't have a lot of books about fishing and confine my reading to books about Bonefish and classics by the likes of Norman Maclean,Tom McGuane et al.I should mention all my reading is primarily related to the salt.

Last edited:

WWKimba

Reaction score
Just reading (and tying) the flies from Helen Shaw's "Flies for Fish and Fisherman, The Wet Flies". Trying to tie each and every pattern in this book - I enjoy soft hackles! Excellent book by and excellent writer, fly tyer and educator!

Kim

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
The big guy in the red suit delivered a wonderful book last Friday,it's Monte Burke's "Lords of the Fly..Madness,Obsession,and the Hunt for the World Record Tarpon".I don't have a lot of books about fishing and confine my reading to books about Bonefish and classics by the likes of Norman Maclean,Tom McGuane et al.I should mention all my reading is related to the salt.
It's a great book. As is his book Sowbelly.

Tudor Davies

Reaction score
I may have mentioned this book before but The Feather Thief by Kirk Wallace Johnson is a fascinating read for fly anglers. One of the best accounts of a crime and subsequent investigations I have read. And that is from an ex UK cop now in B.C.