New Ross Colorado reel

johan851

Reaction score
You beat me to it by a few hours JGO. I just started poking around to see if I can find a black 0-3 or 3/4 on closeout... it's starting to look a little thin out there. :)

JGO

Reaction score
You beat me to it by a few hours JGO. I just started poking around to see if I can find a black 0-3 or 3/4 on closeout... it's starting to look a little thin out there. :)
I love to get a 3/4, possibly a 0-3 in black. Please let me know.
I am still on the hunt for a discounted spare spool. It appears that the black was more popular than the platinum as most of the remaining stock is in platinum. I could end up with a unique combo - black reel frame and foot with a platinum spare spool. ?

If I stumble upon any discounted reels I will post it for you.

My current dilemma is which Sage Dart to get, the 366 or the 376. I already have a Sage RPL 480, so perhaps it would be useful to have the 366....hmm,.

okaloosa

Reaction score
There is only one thing I do not like about my Colorado LT and was wondering what others feel about this and whether the brand new model has the same characteristic: Unlike the San Miguel that has a satin smooth retrieve the LT has a small amount of resistance when you wind line in.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
There is only one thing I do not like about my Colorado LT and was wondering what others feel about this and whether the brand new model has the same characteristic: Unlike the San Miguel that has a satin smooth retrieve the LT has a small amount of resistance when you wind line in.
Never really thought about it but it has never bothered me.

johan851

Reaction score
It's true, the LT is fairly clicky and you can feel some resistance. If you're looking for a very smooth clicker, check out the Galvan Brookie. They're excellent reels, especially for the price... I have three of them. They're adjustable, quiet, and very smooth.

In this instance I need a clicker for a Scott G series, and IMO I'll always be a little dissatisifed with a non-Ross reel on a Scott. :)

okaloosa

Reaction score
It's true, the LT is fairly clicky and you can feel some resistance. If you're looking for a very smooth clicker, check out the Galvan Brookie. They're excellent reels, especially for the price... I have three of them. They're adjustable, quiet, and very smooth.

In this instance I need a clicker for a Scott G series, and IMO I'll always be a little dissatisifed with a non-Ross reel on a Scott. :)
Ross was kind enough to send me the part that was for the 0-2 model which I inserted in my 3-4 model so the clicker and resistance is less.
I fish 6.5 and 7X a lot so the least start up the better for me...for a clicker drag I am very pleased with the sound and drag.... Galvan Brookie was in consideration but I really like how few components and no plastic is in the Ross LT....
But I never fished a Galvan I did not like!

Sirgrumps

Reaction score
I’m guessing that resistance is the clicker. Since the design is such that you don’t adjust the “drag” for direction. The force is the same in and out

JDR

Reaction score
"...black reel frame and foot with a platinum spare spool"

That is known as the Panda model.

• Haha
Reactions: JGO

Ganderzone

Reaction score
Itching to pull the trigger gut ended up buying a couple leland classic reels, absolutely fantastic for the money for classic click and pawl.

AzTrouter

Reaction score
I’ve got the Colorado LT 4/5 on a Thomas and Thomas 805 and it looks and balances great, but it won’t hold a DT 5wt line with no backer.

JGO

Reaction score
I’ve got the Colorado LT 4/5 on a Thomas and Thomas 805 and it looks and balances great, but it won’t hold a DT 5wt line with no backer.
I’ve never given the WF listed in the specs much thought, but I guess the DT would be thicker overall than a WF. According to the Ross specs for this reel a WF5 should fit.
32D89AA5-6387-46D2-841C-45D1F9ADA66A.jpeg

Last edited:

AzTrouter

Reaction score
A WF5 does fit with some backing and that’s what I went with. I think the reel is about perfect for the sort of places I fish a clicker reel and the rods I fish there.

AzTrouter

Reaction score
I suppose I should note the RIO DT5 wt did technically’fit’, but with all the line spoiled in it rubbed the frame. Once I was rigged up there was enough clearance to fish it. However, I usually leave my leader spooled up on the reel on my creek rig and didn’t want my leader rubbing in any way.

All that said it’s hands down my favorite small water reel, it’s simple, light and pretty to my eye.

For the record the line is a RIO Trout LT DT 5wt and it’s a generous 90’ long. A buddy of mine suggested cutting it in half, nail knotting backing on one end and I always cut off the loop and nail knot the leader to the other end anyway. I will probably give this a try.

That said other brands of DT lines might work out just fine,

Last edited:
Reactions: JGO