Quit pimping the water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
What do gas prices have to do with this? Or the government?
Y'all should pick a better argument.

smp005

Reaction score
charlie meck wrote the second edition of pennsylvania trout stream and their hatches and it was released 93. it added 19 streams. one of which was my home stream. book writing was the pimping of the last generation i suppose. not much changed in the 4-5 years after around our area from what i saw.

i was back in pa two years ago fishing the famous streams in the central part of the state in a no major hatch part of june mid week and it was a ghost town. went back to my north central area and it was also a ghost town. caught many fish. enjoyed showing off my home state to a few CA friends. we all enjoyed how green the state was in june.

it wouldn't be february without people on the internet or at the local bar arguing about how everything is going to hell in flyfishing. reckon it's been that way in since they started waving the sticks with the feathers on the end of the line. it's a good thing. means spring is getting close for you cold weather folks.
I fish Penns, Spring and the surrounding tributaries almost every three weeks from March to November - with the exception of the green drake hatch, season opener and maybe some various weekends, which I avoid, I can find solitude almost anywhere on the streams.. There are always busy spots - easy access spots but lots of water... I know here in Ohio I pick weekdays with the crappiest weather to chase steelhead - many fisherman are fair weather or weekender only :)

old timer

Reaction score
I'm not arguing just stating a fact . Now the old guy on here , he wants to argue . LOL
No I don't. You called me out and was wrong. It's hard for anybody to let that pass.

I actually hate to argue and normally will just walk away.

wjg

Reaction score
Nonetheless, I am dismayed that instead of restraining access to these special places, persons who want to skip the hard work of learning where to fish will be able to locate these spots on YouTube, the internet, facebook and so on, and use map technology for this purpose.
I do hear the sentiment that this knowledge should be earned thru hard work. I still have local topo's with my added notes and corrections. But if utube, myface, other forums and blogs were available when I was starting down this path here, I would be foolish not to also use that tool. It doesn't make you lazy. Hot spotting for social media points and content or for guiding businesses profit is foolish and can be dangerous to fragile watersheds. Where I live, every stream has wild trout. You can't drop a hook near any culvert or bridge that a little brookie won't hit. I would venture that every honey hole with large trout has a spot to park <1 mile away. Nowhere here is truly secret but the media tarts do concentrate the new fishers to a few spots and the guides then end up trying to out maneuver them. 1/2 mile upstream, I'm ok.

old timer

Reaction score
In my state you'll need to settle for smaller fish if you want solitude. If you think you found a new spot that has big fish. You haven't and others will know about it.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
As I've sadly said many times before azgfd is directly responsible for exposing every stream in the state for their trout challenges and native trout stockings. And they just get worse. This past year the tiniest of streams were put out there for discussion for all the new people fly fishing . Special tribs to me that nobody would fish were exxposed as possible new gila trout hab and even if that don't happen people that didn't need to know will be going to those tribs. They even put this info on fb. I blew my stack and was told those tribs aren't mine. I hate this state and the maricopa county horde.

trev

Reaction score
Fishery managers everywhere promote participation, challenges, awards, access ramps, parking areas, stocking, fishing lessons for kids and lots of other stuff, they measure success by numbers of participants, it's also the source of their income by license sales.
I don't have "pimp" the water and neither does anyone else, the taxpayers fund massive pimping programs.

WWKimba

Reaction score
Where do you draw the line from pimping the water to helping someone to enjoy the sport of fishing - especially those new to this fine sport? I remember growing up that the American Legion Post in my hometown didn't want to recognize Vietnam vets for inclusion and they didn't include them for years! Then what happened - the WW II and Korea vets got too old, died off and all of a sudden the post tried to throw it's doors open to those same vets!

I know that we all would hate to see elbow-to-elbow fishers at our favorite spot overfishing our favorite streams BUT we also don't want to discourage the new generations of fishers out there or we will rue that day as well!

Kim

WWKimba

Reaction score
Sorry 99% of those newbies don't deserve to fly fish and will never make the grade us oldies have achieved. I'm tired of catching fish next to dirty diapers.
I look at that 99% as opportunities to teach/instruct/just give a helpful hand to. An opportunity to change pockets of my good deed coin!

And the nice thing is that percentage will start to drop as well!

Kim

old timer

Reaction score
I know that we all would hate to see elbow-to-elbow fishers at our favorite spot overfishing our favorite streams BUT we also don't want to discourage the new generations of fishers out there or we will rue that day as well!
I doubt it. Colorado sold 90,000 more fishing licenses in 2020 than in 2019. Hunting is even worse.

SerialNumber

Reaction score
The increase this past year is largely due to covid, is it not? Still, there is a population increase generally speaking, and many more people getting interested in hobbies and pursuits of all kinds. Fishing rivers in solitude is wonderful, one of the best things there is. It's a privilege I hope to pursue for a couple more decades, and if there are others around then I'll just have to work on my people skills I guess. And pick up their trash, maybe. Might as well be a good influence, when possible.

old timer

Reaction score
I live in an area with a lot of creeks and a river. The river is Gold Medal and it's the choice for the majority. To really getting away in complete solitude I just fish the creeks. I fished nothing buy creeks for a 3 years period and was happy. I even took the name Creek on some forums.

Once you get used to solitude it's hard to go back to popular waters. As i've said the only one i'd consider is the Frying Pan and i'd only fish the lower part that others ignore. It's such a good dry fly river.

Status
Not open for further replies.