Knot Tying Practice

albertw27

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the recommendations on both practice materials and knot selection. If I recall correctly, the clinch know is the one where you pass the line over itself five times before doubling back through the loop next to the eyelet?

Looks like I know how I'll be spending my weekends...

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Has anyone compared for integrity this Orvis Knot to a twice through the eye Trilene Knot? My experience is this is the strongest and most abrasion resistant hook eye knot which also preserves the correct attitude of the fly by never slipping to the side. Other than the Non-Slip Loop Knot for salt and streamer type flies, this is my go to.

1614880285653.png

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tippet to fly, clinch or Orvis depending on type of fly and action required.

tippet to leader, blood Or surgeons. Blood if youre relaxed and time isn’t an issue, surgeons if the fish are rising and it’s dusk and you need every second for that next cast.

nail for backing to fly line or butt section to fly line. I do not like loops, to bulky...but easy.

these knots are actually very easy and practice makes it second nature. Know what knot and when and practice at home with the actual materials you will be using.

learning with big line is good but practice with the real McCoy.

osseous

Reaction score
Has anyone compared for integrity this Orvis Knot to a twice through the eye Trilene Knot? My experience is this is the strongest and most abrasion resistant hook eye knot which also preserves the correct attitude of the fly by never slipping to the side. Other than the Non-Slip Loop Knot for salt and streamer type flies, this is my go to.

View attachment 32309
Entirely different knots, for different style flies. The Trilene is stronger, but try using it on a small fly and its bulk becomes an issue. Great knot for streamers and large nymphs or saltwater.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

original cormorant

Reaction score
Looking through this thread imho there are two missing words "snugging" and "testing".

You can make all the right turns but if the knot isn't properly snugged then it will break before it should. That includes getting the turns alligned as well as even tightening.
Testing isn't just the steady pull but also jerks. You might be afraid to jerk test a knot but the fish aren't.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Important points, cormorant. Proper tightening and testing to break are as crucial as correct forming ofa knot.

And osseous, I employ a 5 or 6 turn Trilene on dry flies down to 18. In addition to strength which is almost secondary to me, what is important to me is the knots characteristic to lock onto the front of the eye preserving the attitude of the fly as I finagle it into the trout's cone of vison.

trev

Reaction score
I don't think I could ever get the tippet through the eye the second time. But the Trilene knot tests quite a bit weaker than the Fish-n-fool knot

Acheron

Reaction score
Has anyone downloaded and used the knot tying phone apps? Seems like a great way to be able to reference how to tie a knot while out on the lake/river.

Apps like:
Knot Guide (iOS)
Fishing Knots Lite (Android)

osseous

Reaction score
I don't think I could ever get the tippet through the eye the second time. But the Trilene knot tests quite a bit weaker than the Fish-n-fool knot

I think that tightening that knot in 6X would compromise the material trying to get it to set. The San Diego Jam is generally found to be the strongest terminal knot out there- but nobody's gonna use it for tiny flies and thin tippet.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I like the looks of this knot, I'll give it a "Practice Try" but it would be bulkier and more heat abrasion prone to tighten. To be clear, my thing about the Trilene is NOT strength, though it is strong, it is the two turns through the eye for locking the tippet in a non-swivel to the side attitude.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Does enough friction exist in wet 6X to create heat?
Well lubricated, I use saliva, and carefully snugged knots minimize frictional heat, the enemy of Nylon monofilament. I often will push coils together rather than draw them tight and fully tighten at the end of the snugging process. I never get those friction induced curly ques...if I did inadvertently, I'd cut the knot and retie.

trev

Reaction score
I never get those friction induced curly ques...if I did inadvertently, I'd cut the knot and retie.
This is why I asked, perhaps a dozen times that I recall in many years of fishing has such a thing happened and I did cut it off and do over, but I think those knots just slipped rather than heat generated in cautious tightening.

Bigfly

Reaction score
After learning a knot......go for time.
I have a friend that takes five min to tie his fly on.
It should take about 15-20 seconds for that clinch knot.
Fish are rising! Get it done!
And thinner tippet is easier to stress, takes less heat to get waves. I had a period of breakoffs one season, pulling the tippet through the grommet on the elastic on the spools. I never do that any more.

Jim

osseous

Reaction score
You can damage 6x mono without heat being the culprit. This happened constantly with the new Sci Anglers Absolute. It didn't want to take a clean knot easily- so I binned it

Last edited:

The op

Reaction score
Last season i started using gel floatant to lubricant loon aquel and gink on my knots,and have found my knots to be stronger and more consistent.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
That so-called "fish-n-fool" knot looks like a standard Uni Knot to me,and the one to use when putting braid backing on a spool...albeit with more turns after going twice around the arbor,and those who fish the salt invariably use loop to loop connections for a few reasons.....never Nail knots.