Yellowstone NP do it yourself trip

NotDriftless

Reaction score
We'll be in West Yellowstone the first week of October and are planning on fishing streams on the west side of the Park. Does anyone have advice as to what streams we should try that time of the year? Cheers.

VaFisherman

Reaction score
Not exactly in the park but I highly recommend you hire a guide and float the Madison below Quake Lake. In the park you have the Madison and the
Firehole on the west side of the park. The Henry's Fork is a short drive south from West Yellowstone.

NotDriftless

Reaction score
Thank you. I'm familiar with the big name streams. I'm considering the west side's smaller waters. Have you had any experience with Gayling Creek?

Reaction score
Thank you. I'm familiar with the big name streams. I'm considering the west side's smaller waters. Have you had any experience with Gayling Creek?
If you decide to fish it, do not go in there without bear spray and knowledge of how to Use it.

Longs for Cutts

Reaction score
Small water isn't the ticket after mid-September. Too cold. There are a few run-up browns in lower Grayling, but not many compared to the bigger water.

mikemac1

Reaction score
Apart from the Gibbon, Firehole and Madison, there are really only a few other options. Number 1 would be Duck Creek off Hyw 191. From the park boundary to the forks of Richards and Campanula creek has some pretty decent fishing in the Fall with good chances of runner fish up from Hebgen. The two headwater streams of the Firehole—Little Firehole River and Iron Spring Creek can always be fun. If you are up to a nice hike, the upper reaches of the Little Firehole above Mystic Falls can provide some great small water fishing. Nez Perce Creek is also fun if you can get away from the road upstream a mile or so (Maybe closed because of bears). The other small stream that can hold fish is Sentinel Creek which flows into the Firehole at the big bend in Fountain Flats (if you don’t want to cross the Firehole access the west side of the river from the Sentinal Meadows trail at Ojo Calienti spring. The last small water option in the Old Faithful area is the upper Firehole. Lots of reasonable access from the Lone Star Geyser trail. Finally, the upper Gibbon Meadows and Elk Meadows just below Norris hold decent browns and provide some challenging fishing in the Fall.

NotDriftless

Reaction score
Apart from the Gibbon, Firehole and Madison, there are really only a few other options. Number 1 would be Duck Creek off Hyw 191. From the park boundary to the forks of Richards and Campanula creek has some pretty decent fishing in the Fall with good chances of runner fish up from Hebgen. The two headwater streams of the Firehole—Little Firehole River and Iron Spring Creek can always be fun. If you are up to a nice hike, the upper reaches of the Little Firehole above Mystic Falls can provide some great small water fishing. Nez Perce Creek is also fun if you can get away from the road upstream a mile or so (Maybe closed because of bears). The other small stream that can hold fish is Sentinel Creek which flows into the Firehole at the big bend in Fountain Flats (if you don’t want to cross the Firehole access the west side of the river from the Sentinal Meadows trail at Ojo Calienti spring. The last small water option in the Old Faithful area is the upper Firehole. Lots of reasonable access from the Lone Star Geyser trail. Finally, the upper Gibbon Meadows and Elk Meadows just below Norris hold decent browns and provide some challenging fishing in the Fall.
Thank you Well-known member. The streams you mentioned are what I'm looking for - intimate fly fishing.

VaFisherman

Reaction score
Sorry I don't have info on the lesser know streams. When I was there I wanted to fish the "Destination Streams" while I had the chance, and it was good I did because I have not gotten back there yet.

silver creek

Reaction score
I don't know of a Gayling Creek near Yellowstone Park. I think you mean Grayling Creek that runs along Hwy 191 just before it meets HWY 287 north of West Yellowstone, MT.

cjp

Reaction score
I don't know of a Gayling Creek near Yellowstone Park. I think you mean Grayling Creek that runs along Hwy 191 just before it meets HWY 287 north of West Yellowstone, MT.

I have fished both of those sections of Grayling Ck, though 30+ years ago; now I just drive by. The YNP section off the 191 had very small fish and felt too bear-y for me. Much better grade of fish off the 287 where fish from Hebgen run up. Sounds fun to fish the lesser knowns - or at least less visited.

NotDriftless

Reaction score
I have fished both of those sections of Grayling Ck, though 30+ years ago; now I just drive by. The YNP section off the 191 had very small fish and felt too bear-y for me. Much better grade of fish off the 287 where fish from Hebgen run up. Sounds fun to fish the lesser knowns - or at least less visited.
Thanks for your input.

darkshadow

Reaction score
I'd chime in with the rest and recommend staying away from the smaller waters. In October, I had one of the best days quality wise of fish on the Madison, with the fish coming outta the lake to spawn.

Also had a great day near the Slide Inn.

You also have access along the 191 to fish the Gallatin.

NotDriftless

Reaction score
I'd chime in with the rest and recommend staying away from the smaller waters. In October, I had one of the best days quality wise of fish on the Madison, with the fish coming outta the lake to spawn.

Thank you, Darkshadow.

NotDriftless

Reaction score

What size rod do you use to fish the run ups?