Lees Ferry or San Juan?

cvd

Reaction score
I’ll be driving from So. Calif to southern CO (Pagosa) in July. Can set aside one day for fishing; considering Lee’s Ferry (never been there) or San Juan (have drifted w Fisheads guides in the past). Is Lee’s Ferry still a bucket list destination to drift? If so, guide recommendation? Otherwise, I’ll book a day at Fisheads.
Thx

myt1

Reaction score
I believe Lees Ferry is good if you go upstream with a guide.

I don't believe the walk-in section is very good.

I was at the SJ a few weeks ago and the crowds were so bad I ended up leaving early. When the weather cooperated, and before the crowds, the fishing was very good.

Daz

National Treasure
Reaction score
If you're going to LF, contact Terry Gunn. Haven't been up there since I lived in AZ years ago but had some great trips with him and wouldn't hesitate to recommend LFA.

Reactions: cvd

claybanks

Reaction score
Between late last year and early this year, I made trips to both. They are both awesome. I walked and waded each. I don't think one can go wrong with either place. To me, the scenery at Lee's Ferry was something really marvelous, maybe a subjective factor, but the Glen Canyon area was something special to see.

Reactions: cvd

cvd

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. After checking July weather averages, decided Lees Ferry visit will wait for another trip (during cooler season). Will drive straight through to Pagosa this time.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
No. None at all. Well, there is Bikini Row but that's it. Oh, and the headwaters of the San Juan. So, nothing to see here?

cvd

Reaction score
Upper San Juan runs right thru town. My friend, who moved there about a year ago, has sent me pics of decent browns caught from the back parking lot of the the local Malt Shop. I think there well be plenty to keep us interested.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
Durango has a good bikini hatch too. Are we off on the wrong track again?

Anyway I'm headed to the juan. It's been 23 months since my last trip there. They wouldn't let me in last year. I'm fishing on my way to meet my buddy mka in so co. Abes has always been my stop off point to co and beyond. Fish a couple days there and head on. After fishing the juan a couple days a size 16 hook is a pleasure to fish with. lol. Well I have decided to stay in beautiful bloomfield 25 minutes away. It's not going to be the same.

cvd

Reaction score
Can't make a suggestion but when you're in Pagosa get in touch. Be happy to show you around.
I will be in Pagosa Mon-Fri next week, would be great to get together w you one day. Please msg me and I will send phone num ( apparently I dont have enough posts on this forum to initiate a personal message)

sasquatch7

Reaction score
I just got back from San Juan and it was a cluster f... ! Picture 30 boats going round in circles one after the other no more than 40 feet from each other and sometimes close enough to touch the guy in the other boat . It looked like a Merry-Go-Round . Then there were another five or six boats anchored and this was all just at the Texas Hole . In addition to that there was at least three 18-22 ' rafts with families in them getting in the way with their spawn playing in the water at the ramp . I'm done , never again going to the " JUAN " period . Lees Ferry is just as bad with the float trips out of the dam and down the Colorado with 25 guide boats fighting everyone else for the limited amount of wadable water up rive , mainly at the 8 through 12 mile mark and 50 others that haven't a clue what they are doing . Only good thing about Lees is the walk in because people are lazy and it's not all that crowded . Thats my take on it , YMMV .

jwbowen

Reaction score
I just got back from San Juan and it was a cluster f... ! Picture 30 boats going round in circles one after the other no more than 40 feet from each other and sometimes close enough to touch the guy in the other boat . It looked like a Merry-Go-Round . Then there were another five or six boats anchored and this was all just at the Texas Hole . In addition to that there was at least three 18-22 ' rafts with families in them getting in the way with their spawn playing in the water at the ramp . I'm done , never again going to the " JUAN " period . Lees Ferry is just as bad with the float trips out of the dam and down the Colorado with 25 guide boats fighting everyone else for the limited amount of wadable water up rive , mainly at the 8 through 12 mile mark and 50 others that haven't a clue what they are doing . Only good thing about Lees is the walk in because people are lazy and it's not all that crowded . Thats my take on it , YMMV .
Hey,
Was Abe's open and was it a weekend?

Thanks

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I will be in Pagosa Mon-Fri next week, would be great to get together w you one day. Please msg me and I will send phone num ( apparently I dont have enough posts on this forum to initiate a personal message)
CVD and I did fish together for a morning. Tough conditions due to tons of rain clouding up the water but it was great to meet a member and a couple of his friends.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
That's why I fish where the boats can't.
Abes is closed. Not a vehicle in sight.

20210701_083142-1.jpg