Esopus watershed 2021

corys88

Reaction score
I fished the Esopus last week on Veteran's day mostly using a mini leech and variety of tiny nymphs in tandem. Got one brown on the leech, and one bow on a little rubber legged stonefly, both about 14". Lost a couple other fish but besides that very slow going. Low and slow is the game now, and be mindful of redds especially in the upper river. Hope to get out more before the bitter cold sets in, but we'll see. I drive 45 mins on the thruway daily, so doing it on my day off is less appealing when I have to wear 3 or 4 layers!

Brodfish

Reaction score
Visiting family up in the area and havent been up in years so was hoping to do a full day before Thanksgiving kind of deal... cheers on the update

corys88

Reaction score
Visiting family up in the area and havent been up in years so was hoping to do a full day before Thanksgiving kind of deal... cheers on the update
Were you able to get out? I made my way over to Massachusetts last week and got skunked on the Deerfield. Flows got dropped a day later and a friend went and did well, figures!

Brodfish

Reaction score
Were you able to get out? I made my way over to Massachusetts last week and got skunked on the Deerfield. Flows got dropped a day later and a friend went and did well, figures!

Family obligations changed so I ended up going to pensylvania and fishing a freestone trib of the brodhead. Long island is a tough place to travel from unfortunately and now may just wait til spring.

jmckinl1

Reaction score
Tried my luck on Saturday afternoon. First time out in December with the new regulations and only saw one other fisherman in the typical areas below 5 arches. Air temps in low 40s, water temps never got above 39. Managed to hook up 3 times and land 1 pretty 10" rainbow.

corys88

Reaction score
I'm thinking the same as you Patrick, especially if temps stay above normal like they're forecasting for next week. Will update if I do. Happy Holidays to all!

corys88

Reaction score
I was able to make it down last Tuesday. Air temps got to the upper 40s but the wind was a deterrent. Never hooked up, and takes were hard to come by. Should have tried some streamers but the water is low and clear, next time will be streamer time.

gary_a_gooner

Reaction score
I'm staying in Phoenicia. Arrived close to 4p on Sunday and put the gear on as quickly as possible. Staying right off the Esopus and jumped in. Actually hooked and landed one small rainbow on a sucker spawn within the first 20 minutes before it got cold and dark. Got out for a little today. A little cold and ice building up. Not sure I'll make it out during my stay anymore.

corys88

Reaction score
I'm staying in Phoenicia. Arrived close to 4p on Sunday and put the gear on as quickly as possible. Staying right off the Esopus and jumped in. Actually hooked and landed one small rainbow on a sucker spawn within the first 20 minutes before it got cold and dark. Got out for a little today. A little cold and ice building up. Not sure I'll make it out during my stay anymore.
great that you got out there and actually hooked up! I'm going to try and make it out to some blue lines before they're froze up entirely.