10’ 5 weight?

jdangler1

Reaction score
I’m on the hunt for a 10’ 5 weight. I have narrowed choices down to a Radian, Helios 3 or Sage X. I’m sure all will nymph fine but because I want the rod to be an all round rod, I’d like opinions on which rod would be better a dry fly rod as well, though it’s primary use will be nymphing.

Cheers
Bob

gbar222

Reaction score
First of all, I’m an admitted Radian fanatic and I love Scott rods In general. I own and love the Radian in 905, 906, 854 configurations. Just this last week I picked up the Radian 10 foot 4 weight and I‘m a little disappointed. I figured a 10 footer would have a little softer tip but in this case it doesn’t. I realize this isn’t the 5 weight you asked about but the 10’0 4 wt is a little firmer than I would like. It still casts wonderfully but it lacks some sensitivity that I wanted in the tip. For reference, I briefly owned a Syndicate p2 10 foot 3 weight. I realize that the P2 was a dedicated nymph rod but I found it too soft in the tip for my liking. Something between the Radian and Syndicate P2 in terms of tip stiffness seems about right for my tastes. I don’t know the Helios but I am a familiar with the X and I think it would be better than the Radian if it is intended to be a multi purpose tool. Just my 2 cents. Interested to hear what you choose.

jdangler1

Reaction score
First of all, I’m an admitted Radian fanatic and I love Scott rods In general. I own and love the Radian in 905, 906, 854 configurations. Just this last week I picked up the Radian 10 foot 4 weight and I‘m a little disappointed. I figured a 10 footer would have a little softer tip but in this case it doesn’t. I realize this isn’t the 5 weight you asked about but the 10’0 4 wt is a little firmer than I would like. It still casts wonderfully but it lacks some sensitivity that I wanted in the tip. For reference, I briefly owned a Syndicate p2 10 foot 3 weight. I realize that the P2 was a dedicated nymph rod but I found it too soft in the tip for my liking. Something between the Radian and Syndicate P2 in terms of tip stiffness seems about right for my tastes. I don’t know the Helios but I am a familiar with the X and I think it would be better than the Radian if it is intended to be a multi purpose tool. Just my 2 cents. Interested to hear what you choose.
I was kind of leaning towards the X , but wanted to be sure & this helps.

Thanks

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I use the 10' 5wt H3F and I absolutely love it. I like the Radians performance, just don't like the handle on a nymphing rod because I tend to keep my index finger on top along the cork and rod blank, and it feels weird to me with that Radian handle. Just a personal quirk. Regarding the Sage X, I like the 9'6" over the 10' for a 5 weight. That 9'6" is one special rod, and my main fishing partner uses his exclusively for trout on foot.

I went with the H3F because it's the closest to being a true 5wt out of the 10' options that I could get my hands on. Many 10' rods feel and perform like a rod that is a weight or two heavier than what is listed. The H3 performs as expected for a 5 weight and is extremely light in hand and in swing weight for a 10' rod. I use mine for everything from euronymphing with french leaders and mono rigs, to fishing indicators with a ton of weight, to swinging wets, to dry fly fishing with long delicate leaders, to stripping your typical trout streamers. I couldn't be more pleased with it. It's been the only trout rod I've used for a couple years now except for when I'm fishing heavy sinking lines and huge streamers from a boat. If it's virtually any of your typical trout tactics, the 10' #5 H3F can does it well for me. It's held up very well too. I broke it twice, once stepping on it mid-stream, if you know what I mean, and once in a horrendous kayak crash into a downed sycamore on a large tailwater. Never has broken due to any fault of Orvis, just my own misfortune. And when I did break it on my own accord, Orvis was great in getting replacement sections to me in a timely manner. I recommend wholeheartedly to anyone looking for a 10' trout rod.

jdangler1

Reaction score
I use the 10' 5wt H3F and I absolutely love it. I like the Radians performance, just don't like the handle on a nymphing rod because I tend to keep my index finger on top along the cork and rod blank, and it feels weird to me with that Radian handle. Just a personal quirk. Regarding the Sage X, I like the 9'6" over the 10' for a 5 weight. That 9'6" is one special rod, and my main fishing partner uses his exclusively for trout on foot.

I went with the H3F because it's the closest to being a true 5wt out of the 10' options that I could get my hands on. Many 10' rods feel and perform like a rod that is a weight or two heavier than what is listed. The H3 performs as expected for a 5 weight and is extremely light in hand and in swing weight for a 10' rod. I use mine for everything from euronymphing with french leaders and mono rigs, to fishing indicators with a ton of weight, to swinging wets, to dry fly fishing with long delicate leaders, to stripping your typical trout streamers. I couldn't be more pleased with it. It's been the only trout rod I've used for a couple years now except for when I'm fishing heavy sinking lines and huge streamers from a boat. If it's virtually any of your typical trout tactics, the 10' #5 H3F can does it well for me. It's held up very well too. I broke it twice, once stepping on it mid-stream, if you know what I mean, and once in a horrendous kayak crash into a downed sycamore on a large tailwater. Never has broken due to any fault of Orvis, just my own misfortune. And when I did break it on my own accord, Orvis was great in getting replacement sections to me in a timely manner. I recommend wholeheartedly to anyone looking for a 10' trout rod.
Thank you, exactly the info I’m looking for.

possiebugger

Reaction score
Enjoy dude, that's a nice stick.

In my quest for the ultimate 10-5 I had the H3F for a hot minute, but just never quite got used to the mid flex in a long rod. In hindsight though, I wish I had fished it more, just to be sure.

I now came across an NRX+ and am enjoying it so much my quest might be over...for now. My biggest concern with a 10 footer is swing weight, and this one is the lightest I've ever cast. I pleasantly forget I'm fishing an extra long rod when high sticking, except for the extra reach it affords...extra reach without extra weight, yum.

Fast, progressive action, and super sensitive tip that affords more feedback than maybe any tip on any length fly rod, ever. The only thing about it, as was mentioned, is that it does feel kinda like it punches above its weight class, at least in the bottom end of the rod. The butt has a LOT of power, and almost feels like a 6+ weight. It takes a good size trout to bend it all the way into the cork.

It still likes a true 5 weight line though, as it likes to throw it right off the tip. I need to try overlining it more, just to see what's up, but my fave part of the rod is the tip, and I'm concerned all that subtle sensitive brilliance might be diminished with too much line on it. Perhaps more than any other rod, less is more with this one, and once you get the hang of letting the rod do the work for you, minimal effort can yield crazy long casts.

jdangler1

Reaction score
Enjoy dude, that's a nice stick.

In my quest for the ultimate 10-5 I had the H3F for a hot minute, but just never quite got used to the mid flex in a long rod. In hindsight though, I wish I had fished it more, just to be sure.

I now came across an NRX+ and am enjoying it so much my quest might be over...for now. My biggest concern with a 10 footer is swing weight, and this one is the lightest I've ever cast. I pleasantly forget I'm fishing an extra long rod when high sticking, except for the extra reach it affords...extra reach without extra weight, yum.

Fast, progressive action, and super sensitive tip that affords more feedback than maybe any tip on any length fly rod, ever. The only thing about it, as was mentioned, is that it does feel kinda like it punches above its weight class, at least in the bottom end of the rod. The butt has a LOT of power, and almost feels like a 6+ weight. It takes a good size trout to bend it all the way into the cork.

It still likes a true 5 weight line though, as it likes to throw it right off the tip. I need to try overlining it more, just to see what's up, but my fave part of the rod is the tip, and I'm concerned all that subtle sensitive brilliance might be diminished with too much line on it. Perhaps more than any other rod, less is more with this one, and once you get the hang of letting the rod do the work for you, minimal effort can yield crazy long casts.
I had a Helios 2 for a bit & traded it for a Sage 4116, but when I did have it I really enjoyed it & did miss it & so for that reason I went Orvis again.

jjcm

Reaction score
The NRX+ sounds like a sweet stick. A big auction site has a 5wt 10'0 (used once) at some hundreds of dollars less than retail. If someone's into getting rods that way, just figured I'd mention it.

TA really speaks highly of the 10' NRX configurations. Haven't yet to see an NRX+, they have not reach most local shops here yet because of Covid.

okiekev

Reaction score
The NRX+ sounds like a sweet stick. A big auction site has a 5wt 10'0 (used once) at some hundreds of dollars less than retail. If someone's into getting rods that way, just figured I'd mention it.

TA really speaks highly of the 10' NRX configurations. Haven't yet to see an NRX+, they have not reach most local shops here yet because of Covid.
I have been watching this one, it has come down from $600 to 5... might take an offer. If I don’t have to many bourbons and hit the buy now button first!

smilingduck

Reaction score
I have a 9’6” 5 weight Sage One. I used it for euro nymphing and was very impressed with the tip for that application. Indicator fishing was great no complaints. When the wind would pick up I would use it for dry fly fishing and it was perfect. It’s such a light rod in hand and has plenty of power especially in windy conditions.

If I didn’t have such a nice 4 weight to fish dries it might be the only rod needed.
Just kidding
Tight lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

falcon53

Reaction score
I have a 9’6” 5 weight Sage One. I used it for euro nymphing and was very impressed with the tip for that application. Indicator fishing was great no complaints. When the wind would pick up I would use it for dry fly fishing and it was perfect. It’s such a light rod in hand and has plenty of power especially in windy conditions.

If I didn’t have such a nice 4 weight to fish dries it might be the only rod needed.
Just kidding
Tight lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
have you cast the 9ft 5 wt Sage One? If so how did it compare to the 9ft 6in 5wt One? Just curious.