16/20 Tippet to Fly Knot

LOC

Reaction score
There was a good thread on this and related knots not too long ago.
I tried a quick search but could not find the thread I'm sure someone else here can point you to it...

LOC

Reaction score

Ok found it here’s the thread.:)

flav

Reaction score
I tried the 16/20 (aka Pitzen) for the first time this spring. The first time I tried it I landed a nice steelhead on 4X while swinging soft hackles for trout, so I know it's strong. I've been using the 16/20 occasionally since then and I've landed some nice trout using the knot, and have had no break offs. I don't think it'll replace the improved clinch that I've been using since I was a kid, but it's a nice option to use from time to time. Easy to tie correctly, and pretty strong, a good combo.

LOC

Reaction score
I tried the 16/20 (aka Pitzen) for the first time this spring. The first time I tried it I landed a nice steelhead on 4X while swinging soft hackles for trout, so I know it's strong. I've been using the 16/20 occasionally since then and I've landed some nice trout using the knot, and have had no break offs. I don't think it'll replace the improved clinch that I've been using since I was a kid, but it's a nice option to use from time to time. Easy to tie correctly, and pretty strong, a good combo.
We all have are reasons so it's interesting to me to see what knot ends up at a experience fly anglers line.
If you had to pinpoint why you still would go with improved clinch over 16/20 since they both work well it would be interesting to hear your thoughts.
Ease of tying, nostalgia or set in your ways. :giggle:

flav

Reaction score
I'm set in my ways I guess. I haven't broken a fish off in a long, long time, so I figure why fix it if it ain't broken? I fished early this afternoon, switched flies a half dozen times, used the Pitzen twice, and the improved clinch the rest of the time. There's something I just don't like about the Pitzen, I'm not sure what, but I keep trying it cuz I feel I should give it a chance.
I enjoy experimenting with knots, so I still try new knots just in case I find a new one I really like. I tried the non-slip mono loop over 15 years ago, and it immediately became a favorite of mine. I keep hoping that happens again. I'm trying the Orvis knot next.

Reactions: LOC

Acheron

Reaction score
I tried the Pitzen for ~6 months, using hemostats to tie it, super fast and easy knot, but I have gone back to the improved clinch due to many knot or line failures. I have not had enough time to investigate if the issue was tippet, knots, or user error but once I changed back to 'ol reliable the breaking ended.