2019 Driftless Pictures and Reports

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
When you mentioned Twins earlier I didn’t know what you meant. But yes Baseball! Go Twins!!

It will be great fly fishing, June is bug soup month and the larger browns hit hard and catch air like Atlantic’s.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
When you mentioned Twins earlier I didn’t know what you meant. But yes Baseball! Go Twins!!

It will be great fly fishing, June is bug soup month and the larger browns hit hard and catch air like Atlantic’s.
That probably shouldn't have confused anyone from MN but I know everyone is not a baseball fan so I'll let it pass lol, It's early but they are very good and nobody called it.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Minneapolis with my wife July 4 weekend and considering working in a day in the Driftless. My wife doesn't fish, but enjoys being outdoors and is a great sport putting up with my obsession(s), so I am trying to figure out a way to work in a day outdoors that would be somewhat interesting to her. I found a fly shop in Preston that does canoe rentals on the South Branch (although there is a reference to a smallmouth float that looks to me like it most be on the North Branch?). Also, I see there is a Root River Trail that appears to mostly parallels the stream, so renting a couple of bikes and meandering along with occasional stops for me to fish a little is another option I plan to investigate. Third thing that occurs to me is for us to do a day hike if there is something scenic that would get me to some water. Under all options my wife is happy to spend an hour or 2 at a time reading her Kindle or napping while I fish. I'm aware that it will be crowded that weekend and that crowds will negatively impact the fishing. I don't have high expectations but just want to get outside and see an area I have never visited.

I'm an experienced stream angler for both trout and smallmouth and have (too much) gear to allow me to do either. Plenty of experience paddling, and while aging resentfully into middle age, still fit enough for long hiking or biking excursions.

Any recommendations for me? PM if you don't care to post info online.
If you don't have much time to explore, hiring a guide for a float or looking at the Minnesota DNR website, all the trout rivers are listed there, pick the easy to fish areas like the state parks. I've never fished the Preston area, if you have something in mind go for it, please keep in mind that its a 2 hour drive from Minneapolis.

If you want large smallmouth you should hire a guy for a float down the Mississippi River northwest of the twin cities, that is a great stretch and there are great numbers too.

Thats always the problem traveling, lack of time to explore, The DNR site can give you plenty of ideas for easy do it yourself fly fishing on the Minnesota driftless with access points. The state parks rent cabins and there are a number of B and B`s on trout rivers.

When I do fish the Minnesota drtifless its more than a full day with the drive from the twin cities.

Theres just so much water, you will have to do a little research to find the fishing experience you want and what will work with your schedule.

If you are going to fish Preston I would make it an overnight trip. PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck!

flntknp17

Reaction score
Spent three days last week in my favorite place on earth......fishing and scenery were epic as always.

Matt

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
People assume that because I’m from Minnesota that I only fish Minnesota, and I fish all of the driftless, and there are great rivers outside the driftless. I could be 12 to 300 miles away from home.

The driftless is so large it would take a couple lifetimes to fish it all. There is easy access and difficult, even if I told people where to fish, I doubt people could find it, especially without google maps.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
People assume that because I’m from Minnesota that I only fish Minnesota, and I fish all of the driftless, and there are great rivers outside the driftless. I could be 12 to 300 miles away from home.

The driftless is so large it would take a couple lifetimes to fish it all. There is easy access and difficult, even if I told people where to fish, I doubt people could find it, especially without google maps.
You are right, and posting pics doesn't even help, short of throwing up a shot of the wrong old millhouse or unique bridge. The water is diverse, but all looks the same to some degree. Within the driftless, Wisconsin pics look a lot like MN and Iowa pics. I think I recognize fltknp17s stream, not.... I've seen that view on dozens of streams. :)

SDMT

Reaction score
I appreciate this thread and section of the forum.
I’m a truck driver. Our biggest terminal is in **** Rapids, MN.
I just decided to get back into fly fishing. I had a delivery pushed back over the weekend, a week ago. That was MT. I did a float trip down the Bitterroot that Sat. Decided I wanted to get back into fly fishing. Bought everything. It’s on its way or waiting at the terminal now.
Thought I should look in on this area. Will be reading with interest. I go down through Wisconsin Dells a lot. Also down through Iowa a lot. Get up to Park Rapids MN. Have to admit. This area is too easy for my company to keep me rolling. Fear I might not have much waiting time here. I can drop a trailer for someone else to deliver. Take another. Like this weekend. Instead of waiting in **** Rapids all weekend to deliver. They got me out. I’m delivering in Dallas on Monday instead.
Still very interested. I get all over the country. If time allows. I can fish. That’s only a last minute deal.
Im still going to keep reading this section with interest. Have to have the info. Just in case I get a chance.

Don’t know why they block out that name? It’s short for Racoon.
You might wonder about “get back in”. I almost died 15 years ago.
I posted an intro in New Members.
Hope I didn't goof posting in this thread.
I might be able to take a day off to join you people. Even then, if planned, it's iffy. Trucking has it's demands.

Last edited:

Raging Moorish

Reaction score
Well I can say that I'm hooked on fly fishing. I've been an avid conventional tackle fishermen my whole life. Growing up in milwaukee, inland trout fishing wasn't really a thing. Now that I am attending college in the driftless region of Wisconsin, I am almost overwhelmed with all of the trout streams and possibilities there are here. Here are some pictures from my first outing yesterday! (all caught on an elk hair caddis)

Any tips you would wanna give a beginner driftless angler would be much appreciated!

-Bradley

BE5D9B1B-37A2-4C9F-9528-20364A8CD488.jpg

First fly (11 of 11).jpg
My fly fishing mentor and biology research partner, Samir

First fly (2 of 11).jpg
The smaller ones are even prettier
bradley brown modified (1 of 2).jpg

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I appreciate this thread and section of the forum.
I’m a truck driver. Our biggest terminal is in **** Rapids, MN.
I just decided to get back into fly fishing. I had a delivery pushed back over the weekend, a week ago. That was MT. I did a float trip down the Bitterroot that Sat. Decided I wanted to get back into fly fishing. Bought everything. It’s on its way or waiting at the terminal now.
Thought I should look in on this area. Will be reading with interest. I go down through Wisconsin Dells a lot. Also down through Iowa a lot. Get up to Park Rapids MN. Have to admit. This area is too easy for my company to keep me rolling. Fear I might not have much waiting time here. I can drop a trailer for someone else to deliver. Take another. Like this weekend. Instead of waiting in **** Rapids all weekend to deliver. They got me out. I’m delivering in Dallas on Monday instead.
Still very interested. I get all over the country. If time allows. I can fish. That’s only a last minute deal.
Im still going to keep reading this section with interest. Have to have the info. Just in case I get a chance.

Don’t know why they block out that name? It’s short for Racoon.
You might wonder about “get back in”. I almost died 15 years ago.
I posted an intro in New Members.
Hope I didn't goof posting in this thread.
I might be able to take a day off to join you people. Even then, if planned, it's iffy. Trucking has it's demands.
No worries. The unknowflyman meant this to be a Driftless trip thread. But we're a small group so thanks for stopping by to introduce yourself. And trust me I'd be really good with living in or near Koon Rapids. We have another member from nearby. The forum software tries to sniff out potentially racist comments. It is what it is, and we don't sweat it so much even though it is not actually a problem here.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Well I can say that I'm hooked on fly fishing. I've been an avid conventional tackle fishermen my whole life. Growing up in milwaukee, inland trout fishing wasn't really a thing. Now that I am attending college in the driftless region of Wisconsin, I am almost overwhelmed with all of the trout streams and possibilities there are here. Here are some pictures from my first outing yesterday! (all caught on an elk hair caddis)

Any tips you would wanna give a beginner driftless angler would be much appreciated!

-Bradley

View attachment 16708

View attachment 16707
My fly fishing mentor and biology research partner, Samir

View attachment 16710
The smaller ones are even prettier
View attachment 16709
Welcome Bradley, and thanks for posting. When I have the option to travel farther, I'll trade a limit of stocker bows for a couple of those wild but smallish sized browns. Only advice I have for a new Driftless angler is keep fishing as often as your schedule allows. Looks like your having fun from here. That's what matters.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Welcome Bradly, great report and fish, we are lucky to have so much water and wild fish. You get some street cred from me sir. Look forward to reading your adventures.

SDMT

Reaction score
No sooner do I speak up. I’m sitting in Koon Rapids for two days. They just plain didn’t have another load going out sooner. I also discovered. We have a pond out back here. Practice fly casting.

pm287

Reaction score
Just returned from my first trip to the Driftless (Wisconsin). I was hooked after my first stop. First thing I saw a riser and needed to slide down into the pasture creek for a casting position. It looked like a sandy bottom but my feet sank into the soft gummy mud bottom to mid calf and I fought my way back up the embankment. First lesson about the driftless, always need to continue to learn. I moved upstream and saw what looked to be a good hole. Stopped and casted a dry caddis with a pink squirrel dropper.......had 7-8 hits and brought 5 Browns to hand several hit the dry. I did cross the creek but alway probed with the wading staff or crossed at ripples.

I always value a trip on if I am planning a return when leaving........I am coming back, it was a great trip.

IMG_0759.jpg

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Its going to be a glorious weekend on the driftless and the lakes, its just warming up and a variety of insect life abounds along with suckers spawning large and small on rivers that connect to the Mississippi. Don't make a 10 minute stalk on a 24" sucker like I did last time out. Hey it looked like a brown kind of, it was hard to see. Suckers also mean a few other things that can be useful.

These are the good old days, With a little research and impeccable presentations memories will be made. Water is slightly stained and falling. Prospecting with dry flies will work well even if a hatch is not happening, It did for me.

I hope to see some great reports and nice fish. I`ll be out tomorrow. Tight lines gentlemen, tight lines.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Really nice! its pouring all morning up here too. My report is coming. Great days Saturday and Sunday. We get two nice days and a week of cold and rain.