2021 Driftless Pictures and Reports

pickadrake

Reaction score
I got out last Saturday and took advantage of the great weather! The water is low and clear but the fish were happy. No BWO's spotted where I was fishing, but a heavy midge hatch coming off most of the day. I'm busy the next couple weekends but have a long weekend coming up towards the end of the month. Love this time of year without the bush wacking

Tony Blundetto

Reaction score
Maaaan. Went to some old faithful spots but it was tough out there today, although I did catch some fish. There were some crane flies (I think) coming off the water along with some midges, but I didn’t see a ton of surface feeding. The water needs to be a little higher and dirtier so a miscreant like me can get away flogging the water some loool

Last edited:

ontheflymn

Reaction score
Southeast MN is still considered in a drought phase stemming from the lack of rain last summer, fall, and winter snowpack (or lack of). It will take quite a bit of precipitation, IMO, to get levels back up. The flip side of uber clean water is that I've seen some absolute tanks when I've been out. The cold weather has shut down much anticipated surface activity. I saw midges and cranes on Saturday, but no real caddis or DH activity, just wasn't warm enough. We nymphed this guy Saturday AM.

4_10_21_4.png

jajohn

Reaction score
Are the SE MN driftless fish I see in pictures here mainly naturally produced fish or stocked trout? They are nice looking fish.

ontheflymn

Reaction score
MN is a road map meets stream designation map (and non-eased water, too). It's simple to use. There's some color coding on the MN map to show special regulations waters vs. those that have general regulations.