2021 Driftless Pictures and Reports

dpnoll48

Reaction score
I met up with a friend yesterday in SW Wisconsin and we fished from around 1:30 - 5:15. The wind got pretty nasty by mid afternoon but the fish were active. With the wind mostly in our face we used wet flies and nymphs with a fair amount of waiting for gusts to die down. We caught both brookies and browns. Nothing real big, but a lot of nice fish. My buddy had just retuned from 2 months in Florida so it was really nice to see him again. I wasn't counting but my friend said the total was 55.
B30E899C-C2BE-4A23-BBB3-F6497B935116_1_201_a.jpeg78675E56-FEFC-4DE2-A7C0-E0205A75F316_1_201_a.jpegA55478A5-BDDC-48CD-A90B-C079FF40CCE7_1_201_a.jpeg

Tony Blundetto

Reaction score
This is a bit off topic, but did anyone here post on the now defunct MN trout forums? I think I recognize a name or two from there. My handle was Mt Dew Dynasty. I wasn’t there for too long as the website seemed to go down not too long after I started posting there.

ontheflymn

Reaction score
I used to post there/lurk. I haven't spoken to the board owner, but I don't see it coming back. He's on the MNTU big boy board of directors: http://mntu.org/contact-us/

The way that MNTU gets rightfully savaged for their poor stream work on HIS forum seems like a conflict of interest.

Tony Blundetto

Reaction score
I used to post there/lurk. I haven't spoken to the board owner, but I don't see it coming back. He's on the MNTU big boy board of directors: http://mntu.org/contact-us/

The way that MNTU gets rightfully savaged for their poor stream work on HIS forum seems like a conflict of interest.
I know you seem to know a lot about HI work. Have you seen West no names please Creek? I’d like to get your thoughts on that one. Not to derail a thread dedicated to reports and pics entirely...

Last edited by a moderator:

dpnoll48

Reaction score
Well, this week I got out Monday in NE Iowa and Friday in SE Mn although the big deal was my wife Mary going trout fishing for the first time. I set up a ½ day for her with Mike Warren, a guide from LaCrosse who is an outstanding tenkara guide and instructor. I landed one very nice brown in Iowa and had a nice morning in Mn. However Mary and Mike brought over a dozen to hand. Pretty darn good for the first time ever with no practise before hitting the stream. 214F1447-52FC-4D9D-8229-6DD04BDF5C83_1_201_a.jpegMary and Mike.jpegMary Fishing.jpeg

Tony Blundetto

Reaction score
This past weekend was my first time down there since catch and keep opener due to yearly spring dock duty and turkey hunting. Decent success both days both days, but no big boys(or girls). Casted to rising trout Saturday evening that gave me fits. Beautiful stream tho.

Im sure these are a lot more common than I realize, but I’ve never seen a yellow sally anywhere in the driftless before. I thought that was kinda cool, even after my buddies gave me a hard time for geeking out about it!05112383-B515-4BFD-B6C3-F3357109AAFD.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

Tony Blundetto

Reaction score
I was down last weekend. We did okay, but for some reason my gf just could not for the life of her stay out of the bushes. The madder she got, the more she ended up getting tangled, to the point things became unenjoyable for the both of us. Gotta be like a QB when it comes to fly casting, have a short memory and forget that last awful pass/cast you just made or you're gonna keep making them.

That's life fishing with your SO! Could be a helluva lot worse.

Looking forward to getting down there this weekend, the weekend after, or both.

2bornot2b

Reaction score
Tenkara may be an option for your gf. I’ve had less issues with weeds, brush and trees since I have been primarily fishing tenkara.

ontheflymn

Reaction score
She usually does just fine, but last sunday was just not her day.
Without actually watching your GF cast, just make sure her casting hand is chest high and focus on the 9:30-12:30 casting stroke. I tell all my clients to stop at noon and pause a second. Keep the back cast going to the sky not behind her. No need to resort to tenkara, just get her on the water more :).

Tony Blundetto

Reaction score
Without actually watching your GF cast, just make sure her casting hand is chest high and focus on the 9:30-12:30 casting stroke. I tell all my clients to stop at noon and pause a second. Keep the back cast going to the sky not behind her. No need to resort to tenkara, just get her on the water more :).
I will do my be to relay this to her and make sure she knows it’s coming from a professional guide and not me, because she does not find any advice from me to be palatable no matter how gently it’s delivered haha

Last edited:

Tony Blundetto

Reaction score
6060BAA0-C9FA-4844-93BE-A770C019DDA5.jpeg

Hustled in the heat yesterday and had some luck fishing various dry droppers through the day. I finally had a chance to fish by myself since March so I figured this would be a good day to do the miserable things nobody else really wants to do. I got on the water around 7 am. Fished my way up to a stretch of water I hadn’t been to yet.... ran into tubers. No clue why they picked this stream, horrible stream for tubing. Guy I talked too seemed nice tho. Decided that was my sign to walk back to the truck for food and water, glad I did too cause it was a lot further walk back than I realized .

After getting rejuvenated with Casey’s Pizza, I hit a small stream and fought off the mosquitos until dark and caught a few nice ones.

got to geek out over a salmon fly on my windshield when I gassed up on my way home too.