2021 Driftless Pictures and Reports

dpnoll48

Reaction score
I met a good friend down in Iowa Friday morning to chase brown trout. We met at 9:30, dropped a car and headed out to our starting point. It was a bit nippy out but the skies were clear and the water levels were good and gin clear. We saw plenty of fish, but although they were spooky we did land a few. After lunch we continued to head upstream, but on the way to our fish spot my buddy stepped on a fairly large rock which rolled under his foot and he went swimming. So we headed back to the vehicle for a change of clothes and headed for plan B. By the time we finished it was 4 PM and time to head home. Good friends, beautiful streams and a nice day make for great times.D75F006E-01B4-4346-8354-FF6AF7261287_1_201_a.jpeg2CFFC674-83BC-4F63-BF17-E82288F96D94_1_201_a.jpeg8ECBFD23-E1B4-4FAC-B023-092DF3FD6476_1_201_a.jpeg6A96A4AC-AD74-41B2-A41B-D20777A60236_1_201_a.jpeg

WorknPlay

Reaction score
My last trip for the year fly fishing in the Driftless. The area that I enjoy so much, always brings back so many memories for me of the past. I also enjoy the new things that I learn almost every time I fish there. With no wind and beautiful fall weather, it was perfect. The colors in the hills had one more weekend for me to see them and the harvest is in full swing. I ran into some nice people from different places at a few spots, which it is always nice to visit for a moment. Some spots were a little low, so I did not fish them, but hopefully we get some rain and snow between now and next year. Over all some nice brown trout and a few stocker rainbows puts a cap on a wonderful year in the outdoor. Take Care
DriftlessOct2021-1.jpgDriftlessOct2021-4.jpg
DriftlessOct2021-8.jpgDriftlessOct2021-11.jpgDriftlessOct2021-7.jpgDriftlessOct2021-2.jpg

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Seen lots of deer including a 12 pointer, no shots this year, just plain bad luck really. They didnt move they way they normally move, or they are on to our stand sites, but the stands have been there a very long time. I dont know.

Hunted the third weekend for the first time and on the last day I found evidence in the snow of the big one still alive. First year in a long time with no deer, perhaps we got lazy this year after last years success. Did a lot of ground hunting walking in the woods on the last day, 5o mph gusts of wind chased me out of my stand early, and there was a deer heading my way at first legal hunting, and I had the hammer back on the 30-30 but he turned north and stayed in the safety of cover and slipped into the dense forest. I walked five miles and played hide and seek with the deer through the trees kicking a few up, in the high winds, but no luck, they were smart and ran far away before looking through the trees back at me.

Had a large owl try to attack my orange head, and turned and scared the hell out of me on my stand Saturday evening, heard wolves howl and coyotes were yipping and chasing something and I had a lynx cry and growl at me walking out of the woods at dark. Could see it but too dark for picture.

I found a stand I completely forgot about over the years, My friend who doesn't hunt anymore moved it 4 years ago and told me but I forgot.

Oh well enough about this, its a fly fishing thread, I put away the deer stuff, ate Turkey and decorating the house for the holidays. The wild trout are doing their thing and I've got tons of flies to tie and January catch and release opener will come soon enough.

Last morning of the hunt.

IMG_9008.jpeg

Last edited:

sonicbluerider

Reaction score
being from ne. Iowa what an where are there good sources for fishing driftless areas of Iowa an Minnesota! thanks

dpnoll48

Reaction score
I met a friend down in Iowa Thursday. The weather was fantastic, and the scenery was incredible, but the catching was tough. But that brings to mind an old saying: "If I only fished to capture, my trips would have ended a long time ago". We had to walk carefully to get around redds but for the most part there were no fish near them. It's hard to complain about a sunny day with the temps in the low 50s in early December. The water temp was at 44 degrees.
5B4CB733-24BD-4451-96F9-C7ADE39CC8FF_1_201_a.jpegB1DF8014-0CF1-4714-96D3-93126EC6740B_1_201_a.jpeg0331FFCB-0A6A-4ACE-ADE5-222EB49BB762_1_201_a.jpeg1B88737A-36C6-4D7F-BC75-085125617960_1_201_a.jpeg45D1E60F-2427-44AA-8DD4-40101FEDF0D7_1_201_a.jpeg

dpnoll48

Reaction score
Looking at the Iowa forecast I headed down to Iowa, for possibly the last time this year, yesterday. Good choice. The weather was incredible and I saw a lot of wildlife. A kingfisher, turkeys, a bunch of eagles and 2 bucks and 2 does ran across the field we were fishing in. Air temp reached 45 degrees, the same as the water. We fished one new stream, one old favorite and the results were fair to middling. It might be my last fishing trip of 2021. Later this week we have a painter coming in, next week we have our anniversary and of course Christmas. If I don't get out it's already been one heck of a year. I was able to get out on well over 100 days. I caught my largest fish ever, had my best day ever, my wife went out for a day and caught trout and best of all, my granddaughter (7 years old) caught a trout all alone as I was helping a friend rig up. I hope all of you have a great Holiday Season.
P1020307.jpegP1020309.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

WorknPlay

Reaction score
I wanted to tell everyone in the Driftless to have a nice holiday. I have really enjoyed reading all of the posts on the forum and especially the Driftless section. I like seeing all of the trout pictures, but I like seeing all of the scenery pictures even more. What a wonderful place we fish in, and I would not trade it for anything (Well maybe Wyoming). ;)

One thing that seems to happen to me every year in the Driftless and has never happened any place else (That includes Wyoming) is every year I am fishing a creek and a mature bald eagle takes off in the trees above me. Seems to always happen in the morning with the mist coming off of the creek and I think it is one of the greatest things in nature. It happened to me, twice this year on different spots. What a great place to live - Take Care.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I wanted to tell everyone in the Driftless to have a nice holiday. I have really enjoyed reading all of the posts on the forum and especially the Driftless section. I like seeing all of the trout pictures, but I like seeing all of the scenery pictures even more. What a wonderful place we fish in, and I would not trade it for anything (Well maybe Wyoming). ;)

One thing that seems to happen to me every year in the Driftless and has never happened any place else (That includes Wyoming) is every year I am fishing a creek and a mature bald eagle takes off in the trees above me. Seems to always happen in the morning with the mist coming off of the creek and I think it is one of the greatest things in nature. It happened to me, twice this year on different spots. What a great place to live - Take Care.
I've never fished there but wanted to say that based on your posts that I've read you seem like a genuine good fellow.

dpnoll48

Reaction score
Damn, MN and WI open on January 1st this year. Itchy and I will be out and about, I just realized that is in a couple weeks. Every year time speeds up. I'm starting to realize the statement youth is wasted on the young. Not that I'm old or anything. Seasoned, yes I like that.
My boss used to say: We're not old, we're just mature".