2021 Fishing trips

AZFalconer

Reaction score
OK... so it's time to start planning some fishing trips for the coming year...
I'm looking for recommendations for the Western states; UT, NV, CO, WY, MT, ID, WA
I live in AZ and will think about in-state trips separately...
I'm geared up for trout (especially brown; never landed a wild brownie) but would entertain salmon/steelhead.
Maybe guided, maybe self guided. For the wife and I. Figuring up to a week long each. Might consider a school too, as neither of us would be considered advanced fly fishers...
Drift boats are OK, done a couple of those (Flathead and Green) and enjoyed it, but there were a number of places I wanted to say; hey; let's stop here and fish this area for a while...
Would like to be able to wade. Small streams, bigger water.
Probably drive and take the travel trailer. Not much interest in flying anywhere these days...

So where would you go if you could just go do it?

Charlie
Kingman, AZ

(cross-posting to the Rocky Mountains forum as well due to the geographic overlap)

AZFalconer

Reaction score
I'd like to be on smaller streams up to larger rivers like the Madison or Snake. Still water is OK but like moving water better.
No real pref on flies. I'm as happy with a pair of nymphs as I am with a dry or streamer. Sometimes I like nymphs even better than dries, but there's nothing like watching a fish rise to a dry, for sure...

Meuniere

Reaction score
I would guess that the thing to do is give consideration to all the famous, bucket-list, exemplary waterways in the states you mentioned, and then forget about all of them. Instead, consider some of the really special, lesser-known waterways where you won't be in with a crowd, but where there are plenty of fish to be had and camping nearby. Maybe solicit some PMs from some of the members here. I will send you one right now, about this place in Montana....

rodneyshishido

Reaction score
Back in the 70's I used to take a trip to Oak Creek Canyon by Sedona to catch brown trout. Used to go around Memorial Day. Had a lot of fun catching browns there. For a small creek, I think the biggest I caught went 16". Don't know what its like now. I have not been back in all these years.

AZFalconer

Reaction score
Back in the 70's I used to take a trip to Oak Creek Canyon by Sedona to catch brown trout.
We were at OCC a couple of months ago. Didn't get into any browns but had some fun with bows. Wanna do it again when it's not so crowded... Sure is a pretty place to fish...

rodneyshishido

Reaction score
Have you fished Yellowstone? Lot's of good water there. I know it gets crowded in the summer. Maybe other members can suggest what is the best time of year.

I have fished Henry's Fork and Silver Creek back in the early 80's (Idaho). That was when I was really into dries - very memorable trips.

darkshadow

Reaction score
Have you fished Yellowstone? Lot's of good water there.
And such variety too.

The 4 times I've been, I've gone after Labor Day, which apparently reduced crowds talking to the individuals who are familiar with the area. The latest I've been was the first week of October, which produced some great conditions . The earliest was mid September, and also had great conditions.

You can have base camp on the west side of the park in West Yellowstone (or surrounding areas) or you can have base camp on the Northeast side (Silver Creek). Or, you can split time on both, which puts you on good water on each side.

I usually made reservations about 9 months before hand and have never been disappointed.

AZFalconer

Reaction score
If you're going to Henry's Fork check out the Lake as the Cuttbows can be a blast with a chance at some really big fish too.
Definitely on my list. I'll be up there in 3 weeks and Hebgen and Henry's are my plan Bs if the rivers/creeks are marginal. Watching vids of the gulpers has me smiling...

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I love fishing the upper Green from Green River WY to Fontenelle.
The midge hatches of late March below Flaming are ridiculous. The weather may be iffy but the line coating hatches make it easy to ignore a little weather.