3 weight Sweetgrass

rockriver

Reaction score
Nearly a month ago, I received my 3wt. from Sweetgrass and still haven't had a chance to use it due to high water. It'll be my small stream special at 6'9", a hex replacing my Superfine Touches in 1,2, and 3 wt. and a Scott G2 in 3wt.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
Sounds like Glenn set you up with a magic wand my friend, bet you are chomping at the bit to go out and play !

rockriver

Reaction score
Hope to post some stream pictures when the waters drop. I'm hoping that my Abel C.F.O. II is going to work out for this rod.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
Nearly a month ago, I received my 3wt. from Sweetgrass and still haven't had a chance to use it due to high water. It'll be my small stream special at 6'9", a hex
Oh, that's tough. You must be itching to get out and fish it. A few months ago I took the plunge into the bamboo world by picking up a like new Sweetgrass Mantra 7'3" 4 wt hex. All I can say is wow! I'm sure you'll love your rod.

rockriver

Reaction score
I plan on a season of Bamboo fishing except for lakes. Lots of streams and rivers up here waiting for me. I'll be using my Sweetgrass 4wt., 3wt., and a 5wt. due in June.

gnarl78

Reaction score
You guys are bad for my pocket book! I just received a beautiful Sweetgrass Mantra 6’9” 3wt. that I’m going to baptize on the Yellow Breeches next week. Glenn threw in a Cortland Sylk line for me gratis. The rod is a work of art!

LePetomane

Reaction score
Glenn threw in a Cortland Sylk line for me gratis.
That is a nice deal. Something to keep in mind is that the Cortland Sylk is very sensitive to dirt. It collects dirt fast and that affects the floatability. I used it for the first time a few years back on the Yellowstone and it was sinking by noon. I cleaned it off and that solved the problem but the line did collect a lot of dirt.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I just put the Rio Technical Trout on my new 3wt. bamboo. Had the Gold on it but wasn't quite what I wanted. The TT is just what I was looking for.
Worth a look as it is a great line.

geordie41

Reaction score
My 6ft6 3# hex from Sweetgrass is probably the smoothest rod I’ve ever cast , I often choose to fish a small stream just so I can fish with that rod .
After trying a few different lines I settled on a Phoenix DT 3# silk line .

dennyk

Reaction score
I just did a search for Sweetgrass fly rods and found Glenn's site. Those are some exquisite looking finely crafted rods.

Congratulations rockriver! Hope you can get it wet soon. The waters down in this part of the state are pretty high as well.

Denny

LePetomane

Reaction score
What situation do you folks use three weight rods in? I have a small stream near me that I couldn't imagine fishing with something that light because of the size of the fish and the fact that I want to get them in fast.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
What situation do you folks use three weight rods in? I have a small stream near me that I couldn't imagine fishing with something that light because of the size of the fish and the fact that I want to get them in fast.
What size of fish are we talking? I fish my Paul Dufour 3wt. on a few small creeks that hold fish up to 18". Never had an issue landing a fish quickly. Williams Creek, a favorite of mine holds fish up to 20+. No problem. When I was discussing the rod I wanted with Paul he understood this and built me a rod that met my requirements. Plenty of butt but sensitive enough for tiny dry flies.
So some of it is a function of the rod. Some is how you fight the fish.

My absolute favorite place for this stunning cane is the stream I had in mind when I called Paul. The East Fork of Hermosa Creek north of Durango. Meadow fishing through a sublime mountain setting. Nothing but Colorado River cutthroat. A big fish here is 16" and those are rare and would be a fish of a lifetime if you only fished there on occasion. The creek averages around 15' wide but in the upper reaches is much narrower. I have fished this water for 25 years and had 3 fish that size.

So that's how I use it. I have only fished this rod there 6 times as I have only had it about a month. In that month I have fished it every day somewhere.

AR-140609573.jpg
East Fork.

LePetomane

Reaction score
I plan on using the Rio Lightline.
Are you using that in a WF or DT? I tried a DT on my 8' 4 weight bamboo and the rod would not load until a lot of line was out. I went back to a WF Windcutter. I wish they still made this line.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
The problem with Hermosa is it's so close to Durango all the tourists know it and then you have the hikers / bicyclists . A good day there is seeing only 10 people . I fished it back in the 70s and it was a lot different then but I guess every place was different back then .

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Maybe the main fork of Hermosa but I rarely see anyone on the East Fork. Too tough of fishing for most. Since they burned out all the brookies and bows in the early 90's and released all cutties I have fished there a couple of times a week. 4 hours round trip from my place so I camp. Worth every mile.

Last edited: