3 wt rods

adealarcon

Reaction score
Figured I would ask for some sage advice regarding a 3 wt. So looking specifically to pair this with a brand new reel that I was gifted by my boss.

2 3/4” inch Hardy Duchess. Was a super nice gift and very unexpected. Surprisingly I realized that I have never owned a traditional made in england Hardy reel.

Now I need to find a great rod to pair it with....

Was thinking perhaps a 389 LL or something similar.

Any suggestions of rods to go try?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TristianSutton

Reaction score
I'd go with a nice 10' 2wt- 10'6" 3wt or a nice 7' 3wt bamboo rod personally

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

quattro

Reaction score
Figured I would ask for some sage advice regarding a 3 wt. So looking specifically to pair this with a brand new reel that I was gifted by my boss.

2 3/4” inch Hardy Duchess. Was a super nice gift and very unexpected. Surprisingly I realized that I have never owned a traditional made in england Hardy reel.

Hard to beat the Scott gs 8'9' and 8'4'.... personally have the 8'4". spectacular rod for close in work.
New sage also looks nice - but have yet to cast it. The original LL 389 was a specal rod.

myt1

Reaction score
My "sage advice" is to consider a Sage Dart.

I have my eye on a 7.5' 3wt.

I want something that will be able to cast in very tight places.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
The 2 3/4" Hardy is a lovely traditional reel, it is appropriately sized for 6'6" to 7'6" 3wt rods, if you wish to remain period correct you could look toward a Winston, Orvis, or Bamboo rod...I'm a Scott fan, amongst other brands too, and I don't think the current Scott offerings match well with that reel (if looks are a factor). I'd be looking for rods with nickel silver hardware and figured wood seats to pair best with the reel. I will also offer that the majority of my early reels were all Hardy's until Abel came to market...and they all were paired with early Winston IM6 rods and were beautiful matches....similarly, many guys ran Orvis CFO's (also Hardy) and other Hardy reels on Orvis rods and various maker's Bamboo rods. If I had to choose a single rod to solely match to that specific reel, there is no doubt it would still be a Winston IM6/WT 6'6", 7' or 7'6" 3wt. If you do go this way....you will have to either seek the resale market, or hurry and do it quick as there is only one sole dealer in the United States that has the last few new WT's left (one is a 7' 3wt), as they were discontinued awhile back. Good luck on the choice !! There is absolutely worse problems to have :).

dennyk

Reaction score
Take a look at the Scott G Series 773/4. If I didn't already have a 3 weight Scott Flex 753/4 I'd be getting this one. The Flex is paired with and Abel made CFO III and balances out nicely.

Scott Fly Rods -

Good Luck with your decision!

Denny

el jefe

Reaction score
I agree with Outlaw's suggestion that such a reel pairs well with 6'6" to 7'6" rods. In keeping with the idea of a Duchess, what about a slower rod, a la a Scott F Series fiberglass rod? For graphite, how about a Scott GS 773, or Winston Pure 763 or 703?

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
The 2 3/4" Hardy is a lovely traditional reel, it is appropriately sized for 6'6" to 7'6" 3wt rods, if you wish to remain period correct you could look toward a Winston, Orvis, or Bamboo rod...I'm a Scott fan, amongst other brands too, and I don't think the current Scott offerings match well with that reel (if looks are a factor). I'd be looking for rods with nickel silver hardware and figured wood seats to pair best with the reel. If I had to choose a single rod to solely match to that specific reel, there is no doubt it would still be a Winston IM6/WT 6'6", 7' or 7'6" 3wt.
To the OP: While I think looks (and balance) are important, especially with a light weight rod where drag strength/smoothness is not a concern, if I was in your shoes my primary considerations would be (1) what length 3 wt is most appropriate for the waters I fish?; and (2) what action do I like? No use having a great looking set-up if don't like how it casts or it's just the wrong tool. All that said, I like where cooutlaw is going--I also am a fan of the IM6/WTs and though also no longer made you might also look for a BIII LS in the 7'6" 3 wt. Another rod you might consider is the Douglas Upstream. It's a slower/more deliberate action with sort of a classic look and I think the Duchess would look great on it. They make the 3 wt in a couple of different configurations. Anyway, good luck to you--as cooutlaw said there are worse problems out there!

Hunter Gathers

Reaction score
I'll second the Douglas Upstream (I have a 7'3 3wt that's pretty fun). Also, while I've not cast one yet, I plan on picking up a Sage Dart 7'6 3wt...which might also be suitable for you depending on your budget.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I agree with the Scott fans if I were to go graphite. But since your obviously looking at softer action to mid action, have you thought pairing your Hardy reel with a Hardy Sirrus Fiberglass rod?

It's a fantastic looking rod with a fastish flex for fiberglass, made from the S2 glass. I'm seriously looking into one myself.

And as others have mentioned, bamboo and Hardy are a great combination.

el jefe

Reaction score
I agree with the Scott fans if I were to go graphite. But since your obviously looking at softer action to mid action, have you thought pairing your Hardy reel with a Hardy Sirrus Fiberglass rod?

It's a fantastic looking rod with a fastish flex for fiberglass, made from the S2 glass. I'm seriously looking into one myself.

And as others have mentioned, bamboo and Hardy are a great combination.
I have two rods of S2 glass, and though fastish for glass, are still glass rods at heart. If the OP doesn't want to go that route, perhaps he should send me his reel--I am looking for a reel for an Epic 370, and that Duchess just might be it.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
have you thought pairing your Hardy reel with a Hardy Sirrus Fiberglass rod?
To the OP: Nothing against the Sirrus--I've never cast one--but if you're open to glass and price is not an issue then I'd suggest a Barclay Synthesis 68 (6'8" 3 wt). An outstanding rod. You might also consider a T&T Lotic 6'9" 3 wt--I have not cast the 3 wt, but the 7'4" 4 wt is a great rod.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
So...I'll reiterate from my earlier post...but first...Yes the GS773 is one of my favorites in that configuration and one of leading all time front runners, but with it's GS wrap colors and black hardware...cosmetically it doesn't flatter the Hardy as well as might hardwood and nickel silver, neither would some of the other several late model rod hardware colors out- tans, greys, etc. Now if cosmetics/looks are not a consideration then I'd recommend the OP to visit my ongoing "compare 3wts" thread and there will be no shortage of options- hundreds, all different and unique. The Winston BIIILS in 376 is also a delicate rod and quite nice, but not period correct" for the Hardy, nor are Pure or Air...but all nice options none the less. The reality is, the reel will "work" fine on countless rods....any 6'6" - 7'6" 3wt will likely balance fine and be anatomically correct in dimensions....but only certain rods will cosmetically compliment the reel and vice versa.....IF...again...and only IF....cosmetics are an issue. For me...a personal pet peeve of mine is old school reels on modern rods or modern reels on old school rods.....having been around for both era's... it just looks very awkward to me....like some 60 year old guy with bleached/died spiked hair and gauged ears....

thomasw

Reaction score
Not sure what type of flies the OP wants to cast, but a very versatile 3wt is the Winston 8' 6" Air. It is a wonderful rod that can do even some light nymphing. I think it would pair well with the Hardy ... i use one on mine :)

boisker

Reaction score
As someone posted upthread.... decide what length rod you want, decide what action you want and then consider the options...

tcorfey

Reaction score
I would personally match it with a bamboo rod, pick a maker and you can specify the handle, reel seat and spacer. Perhaps a Payne 97 or a earlier version 98 taper would do nicely. Joe Bradley is the person who made my most recent rod and he is a pleasure to work with his Para 13 in 4wt or his Pro12 in 3wt would be a great choice. He does beautiful work at a reasonable price. Of course Sweetgrass Rods creates some beautiful rods in any length or line weight but they are a bit more expensive.

Alternatively, for a production rod you might consider one of the Orvis Superfine rods they pair well with Hardy reels and use cork on the reel seat which is always a classic look. The superfine Carbon in 7'6" 3wt is a terrific pairing and the guys in my casting club always want to take a few casts with my 7'6" 3wt when I bring it out. It is very accurate and versatile and in the right hands can deliver a very long cast for a 3wt.

I would also agree that the Winstons look nice with a Hardy reel.

Regards,

Tim C.