3d printed fly box

bocianka1

Reaction score
Anyone tried 3d printing their own fly boxes? How did it turn out? Pros or cons of using them?

I found out today that a library near me has 3d printers available to the public, you pay $0.10 per gram of material used, but otherwise it is free. I thought a fly box might be a fun way to try it out.

I found a publicly shared design for a fly box here:
(I can't seem to download the picture to share with my phone) I figured it would be a good template base so I don't have to invent the whole thing from scratch.

I figured someone on the forum must've experimented with this just for fun by now. Anyone had any experience?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

silver creek

Reaction score
Do you want to make the box because you think you can save money?

If so there is a cheaper way to "make" a fly box. These cost me less than $4 each.

Instructions are here:

bocianka1

Reaction score
Do you want to make the box because you think you can save money?
I wasn't worried about saving money. I have no problem buying fly boxes as I need them. I thought it would be fun to learn a little about 3d printing by giving it a try. We spend so much time making our flies and in some instances building our own rods. It seemed like a natural fit to try fabricating a fly box if I can do it at a reasonable cost.

If I'm going to try 3d printing, I might as well make it fishing related. I wanted to see if others have tried it and if it was worth the effort. I would hate to try it only to discover that a 3d printed fly box is likely to warp, or prone to breaking or melting, etc., etc. and end up risking the loss of a bunch of flies.

But thanks for the suggestions Silver. Always appreciated.

teledan

Reaction score
I wasn't worried about saving money. I have no problem buying fly boxes as I need them. I thought it would be fun to learn a little about 3d printing by giving it a try. We spend so much time making our flies and in some instances building our own rods. It seemed like a natural fit to try fabricating a fly box if I can do it at a reasonable cost.

If I'm going to try 3d printing, I might as well make it fishing related. I wanted to see if others have tried it and if it was worth the effort. I would hate to try it only to discover that a 3d printed fly box is likely to warp, or prone to breaking or melting, etc., etc. and end up risking the loss of a bunch of flies.

But thanks for the suggestions Silver. Always appreciated.

Most of that would depend on the material you used to print it. I have never printed a fly box but I have printed other things. I think the biggest benefit would be to be able to design one to the dimensions you want. As far as 3d modeling goes, I use Fusion360. I believe it is still free. There may be other, more simple programs but Fusion360 is what I am used to.

Acheron

Reaction score
Ohhh, this is great! I custom made my fly box and insert system and would prefer better boxes...boxes with rouded corners vs squared, and slighty smaller than my current boxes, which also only cost $5/box. Have looked high and low but nothing fits, or it costs $25/box. I want 4-5 boxes and $100+ is absurd.

Did you try to print one? How did it turn out? How much did it cost?

bocianka1

Reaction score
I'm waiting for a call back from the library. With the covid restrictions, I'm not sure if the 3d printing service is still available or if it is on hold right now.

My goal is to print one of the design I found and see what it's like. I need to handle one to get a feel for the overall dimensions, the weight, and General sturdiness of it. Afterwards, if I like the way it comes out, I may make modifications to the size and try again, maybe even incorporating some stylized elements.

I'll update the thread with my progress.

teledan

Reaction score
I have used Shapeways to print some things I have designed. Probably not as cheap as your library but what’s cool is they let you list your designs for others to buy prints of.

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just got my son a new Artillery Sidewinder for his birthday as he landed some good production contracts through his high school. For his final last semester he made a fly reel. Where the heck have I been? Technology will sneak up on you and pass you by if you’re not watching. Super cool tech!

Acheron

Reaction score
They put the first 3d printed house up for sale recently. People are 3d printing "metal", plastics, and all kinds of resins. As the tech gets less expensive and in the hands of the everyday crack-scientists (differet than crackhead scientists)...just wait!!

There's a guy on youtube who 3d printed parts for and built a (small) jet engine using only 3d printed parts. Sky's the limit!

bocianka1

Reaction score
Update- Well, the Library is still offering 3D printing services during covid, they just print them for you. no self printing allowed. the cost is $0.20/gram of material and they ask that your prints take less than 2 hours.

Unfortunately, the streamer fly box design i found has an estimated print time of 7 hours, 49 minutes and an estimated weight of material of 125.2grams. With the extended print time, there's no way the library will print this for me. If they did, the estimated cost will be a little over $25.00. 3D printing clearly isn't going to be a revolutionary cost savings option unless the get the cost of materials down.

If anyone else is interested in what our local library is offering as background info for pursuing similar options at your own library, here is a link: 3D Printing at Library