3Wt or 4wt Trout Spey

LukeNZ

Reaction score
Hey Luke, Have you had a crack at that new OPST Skagit rod yet ?
No. Skagit is not really my thing. I am more a Scandi type.. ex Europe originally, so it was all mid and long belly floaters for me. Then I moved to NZ, dumped the long salmon rods and got into long rods for trout!

So floating line Scandi was more of a crossover for me, and closer to my traditional method than Skagit.

But will have a look at them if they have any write ups or reviews on the trout spey sized rods.

Am interested in anything Spey!

ghostrider408

Reaction score
Luke,

Cool deal man! I haven't met Jon or Marcus, but I have watched all of their videos. I have spent quite a bit of time in the Portland area and have fished with Josh Linn (exceptional guide, spey caster, and steelhead guru) of Royal Treatment Fly Fishing, Mark Bachmann, and Marty Sheppard. It is a close knit community up there, where everyone knows everyone and they all get along for the most part in promoting the two hand game. Exceptional people I have met in Oregon, both in the shops and out on the rivers.

LukeNZ

Reaction score
Luke,

Cool deal man! I haven't met Jon or Marcus, but I have watched all of their videos. I have spent quite a bit of time in the Portland area and have fished with Josh Linn (exceptional guide, spey caster, and steelhead guru) of Royal Treatment Fly Fishing, Mark Bachmann, and Marty Sheppard. It is a close knit community up there, where everyone knows everyone and they all get along for the most part in promoting the two hand game. Exceptional people I have met in Oregon, both in the shops and out on the rivers.
Yes great folks for sure.

Called in to Medford OR, and caught up with Bob Meiser at his workshop - organised the build of another trout spey rod..

I really liked a town called Bend, OR. And Jackson Hole, WY - Ashland was great, and also West Yellowstone. Had some great times in those towns!!
Fantastic fishing, and spectacular country.

If you are ever in Jackson Hole put your Stetson, spurs and six shooters on and head on down to the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar, on a Saturday night!

Last edited:

ghostrider408

Reaction score
I really liked a town called Bend, OR. And Jackson Hole, WY - Ashland was great, and also West Yellowstone. Had some great times in those towns!!
Fantastic fishing, really great people and spectacular country.

If you are ever in a Jackson Hole put your Stetson, spurs and six shooters on and head on down to the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar, on a Saturday night!
That sounds like a hoot Luke!! How cool mate!!

LukeNZ

Reaction score
That sounds like a hoot Luke!! How cool mate!!
The bar stools are all full on western horse saddles with stirrups..

They have a very interesting town square - especially if you are in to hunting! Antler arches at every end of the square.

A pic of the new Meiser trout spey rod and my Ashland - Hardy reel - last time I was out on the Tongariro a couple of weeks ago..

ghostrider408

Reaction score
The bar stools are all full on western horse saddles with stirrups..

They have a very interesting town square - especially if you are in to hunting! Antler arches at every end of the square.

A pic of the new Meiser trout spey rod and my Ashland - Hardy reel - last time I was out on the Tongariro a couple of weeks ago..

Wow Luke! Your Meiser and Cascapedia sure are beauties! Thanks for sharing them and the antler archway. Cool stuff!

eastfly66

Reaction score
Maybe sometime you could write a review on the Meiser trout spey Luke ? I'd like to give one a try but they are not too common out this way and Bob doesn't travel to this far for Spey Nation. Burkhiemer is another one all I can do is read about......not that I need another stick but ....well , you know.

coug

Reaction score
Which rod did you get from Bob? I like my Burkie 4114 but want to contact him about a 3wt, or maybe Gary Anderson. I like the idea of a longer rod.

LukeNZ

Reaction score
Which rod did you get from Bob? I like my Burkie 4114 but want to contact him about a 3wt, or maybe Gary Anderson. I like the idea of a longer rod.
Hey guys should we start a new topic instead of poaching on this one?

Have got a few Burkie trout speys custom vintage the 4wt. and 5wt.
And my Meiser trout spey is a custom 13ft 4/5/6
Am happy to let you know how I find them, as compared to Sage One 4wt. 4116-4 and the 5wt. 5126-4 got both those, and also Sage X 6139-4 6wt. 13’ 9”. They are all great, but different to each other.
Also, T&T DNA 11’ 6” 3wt. - it’s the best trout spey 3wt. out there. Tried all the big names on that. But not the Meiser, but I can imagine his 13’ 9” 3wt. 5 piece would be fun.. will get one in the next buying spree... Need a new fishing truck first, hopefully early in the new year!

Get a new topic going, and I will happily shoot the breeze and share some pics of my trout spey stuff. I tie some pretty useful flies for them too. Tons of info and pics on that as well, if interested?

Maybe one of you guys can tackle a moderator and see if we can get our own trout spey section!

Cheers and beers,
Luke.

eastfly66

Reaction score

Am happy to let you know how I find them, as compared to Sage One 4wt. 4116-4 and the 5wt. 5126-4 got both those, and also Sage X 6139-4 6wt. 13’ 9”. They are all great, but different to each other.
Also, T&T DNA 11’ 6” 3wt. - it’s the best trout spey 3wt. out there. Tried all the big names on that. But not the Meiser, but I can imagine his 13’ 9” 3wt. 5 piece would be fun.. will get one in the next buying spree... Need a new fishing truck first, hopefully early in the new year!

Get a new topic going, and I will happily shoot the breeze and share some pics of my trout spey stuff. I tie some pretty useful flies for them too. Tons of info and pics on that as well, if interested?

Maybe one of you guys can tackle a moderator and see if we can get our own trout spey section!

Cheers and beers,
Luke.
I'd like to hear your thoughts comparing the Burkie/Mieser rods to the One 4116 , also Luke, do you have any issues with line wrapping around that "S" handle on the Hardy ?

eastfly66

Reaction score

Cheers and beers,
Luke.
I'd like to hear your thoughts comparing the Burkie/Mieser rods to the One 4116 , also Luke, do you have any issues with line wrapping around that "S" handle on the Hardy ?

LukeNZ

Reaction score
Hey Paul and guys,

No problem at all doing those rod comparisons, but. I think I will leave that post until the holidays, when I will have time to do all those fine rods justice.

The S handle on latest made in Alnwick, England Cascepedia is actually below the level of the flange of the frame. So whilst you might be able to force some fine tippet through the gap, I really doubt that mono shooting line could get behind it and certainly not the thicker running line of integrated type spey lines.

The model I have is intended for full 6/7 wt. single hand trout lines either double taper or weight forward and there is room for a generous amount of backing with either.

However, for our use as a reel on two handed trout spey rods it is ideal for a few reasons. The first being it’s weight - it balances my 13ft Meiser 5wt. trout spey rod, with a line out on the water - dead centre of my top hand position, which is perfect.

Also, as I use 35lb. OPST Lazar shooting line as backing, then a fully integrated SA SpeyLite Scandi 330gn. attached and over the top of that; and the spool is not quite full. So again that is perfect.

The reason I use a full spool 100ft of Lazar line as backing, is that if I decide I want to just use a head instead of a full integrated line; I can just pull the integrated line off in big loops really quickly and put a Commando head and sink tip straight on to the Lazar line backing.

The Cascapedia is a solid well made and high quality reel. My only dislike are the medallions. Not because it has them, more because of them all having things that are meaningless to me, engraved on them.

But luckily I have friend who has a custom jewellery manufacturing shop, and she is going to replace all the medallions with sterling silver ones that are more personalised to me.

So one will have my initials monogram, another will say “Trout Spey All The Way” in quite a fancy font. Then the other will have the NZ flag and say Tongariro under it (my favorite river in all the land..!) there is also a medallion on the drag knob on the back that currently simply says 6/7, but that will also be removed and have a sterling silver heavy filigree of NZ flora.

So given that I am going to that trouble - and cost. Yes, it’s definitely heirloom quality and a keeper. But it will have to work for its keep!

All my reels are Hardy - Mainly Hardy Perfect in all the various sizes up to Taupo 3 7/8”. They are great for long trout spey rods because of their weight, capacity, quality and looks. Plus you buy them once and you are fixed up for life. Reel fashions change but the Perfects, simply always remain perfect!

Think I have one other type, a Hardy Bougle’ 3 1/2” it is great on any 4wt. trout Spey rod to about 11’ 6”. so Sage One 4116-4.

The Bougle’ is a tad lighter than the equivalent capacity Perfect - which would be the 3 3/8” Perfect model, and I like that one on a 5wt. Burkheimer trout spey - balance capacity reasons etc. - plus they all just look right!

Am keen to try a Saracione 3 1/2” too. Think it would be great on a nice long trout spey in the 13’ foot range. And definitely another of lifetime keeper quality - the buy once and enjoy forever type gear.

Stick around guys, I am going to bankrupt us all...!!

(But at least we will be happy )!

Catch you all in the holidays with a write up on my Burkie and Meiser rods. I know the Meiz is keen to read it already. And will likely chime in - he is pretty passionate about long rods, and knows a ton.

Don’t eat too much turkey, and spot ya’ll in the holiday.. ...stay hydrated, but not sedated - APA is good!

Cheers and beers,
Luke

eastfly66

Reaction score
Good call Luke ! January is a slow month and it is also show season around here so good time to be able to investigate gear that comes up in the conversations. Your choice of tha Hardy Bougle 3.5 brings a host of questions I'd like to explore later, I did come across that reel while trying out some of the Hardy Trout Spey and really took a liking to the sound and looks. While I'm not a fanatic about reel balance I do give it some merit in a common sense way and that would be a full length post by itself.

Paul