45% Off - Orvis SAFE PASSAGE DROP BOTTOM DUFFLE

ts47

Reaction score
I just ordered this for a trip out west. I'm hoping it will be a good airline travel bag for my and my son's fishing gear. The price is deeply discounted through the 15th.

SAFE PASSAGE® DROP BOTTOM DUFFLE

I have not seen this duffle except on-line. If anyone has any negative info on the current version please share.

Last edited:

Tippetsnap

Reaction score
I have one. I have not flown with it, however, it has made many trips and stands up well. Waders and wading boots, net, fly boxes, reels, etc can go in the bottom and clothing in the top. Rod tubes can fit in the bottom as well. The bag is large and can get fairly heavy when fully packed.

tomsakai

Reaction score
I’ve got the older model; I think it’s almost identical except for color. Great bag, made maybe 10 airline trips and as many road trips with it. No discernible wear. Great bag.

ts47

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback. There was one negative review on the Orvis site that said bad things about the previous model and cast doubt on this version as well. I'm happy to hear you both like yours.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
Not sure if it was the previous or the current model, but I bought one about 4 years ago (so most likely the prior model). A few days later I happened to be at Costco and they had a very similar bag (drop bottom) for $39; some no name brand, or at least a brand that meant nothing to me. So I bought it, brought it home and compared the two. I ended up returning the Orvis bag. My recollection is that I actually liked the Costco one better (slightly better design and looked to be better made), but at best it was a toss-up and I certainly couldn't justify spending upwards of 700% more for the Orvis.

I'm sure the Orvis bag is fine/solid and maybe there's some warranty protection (would it cover damage during airline travel?) whereas mine is disposable, my only point is that even at the deeply discounted price there may still be far less expensive options.

One thing I do like about the Orvis bag is that it's 62 linear inches, the maximum allowed for a checked bag without paying an overage fee. I've looked at lot of bags and have been shocked at how many are just 1-3" larger. Obviously not every bag needs to be packed to full capacity, but I just can't see risking what can be a hefty overage penalty to fit in and extra shirt or two.

Good luck to you.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
I noticed that on the Orvis website when I was browsing last night... Looks like a nice bag and great for air travel. I have a similar one by Simms but, it lacks the rolling luggage feature. I do wish by Simms had wheels, as that darn bag can be very heavy when filled with gear and lugging it around a long airport terminal building. I was considering buying that Orvis bag yesterday but, I think it’ll be a good long-while until I get on another airplane (unfortunately).

Enjoy the bag & have a great trip!!

LePetomane

Reaction score
I have an earlier version of it. It is a nice, roomy bag. I can fill it to the point where I can't lift it. All of my travel is done by car these days. I find it to be more convenient to take two smaller bags instead of one larger one especially if I check into a hotel for just one night.

Something to keep in mind is that baggage handlers are on the lookout for logo luggage. I'm sure there are plenty of Zero Halliburton suitcases that have been tossed around by these folks.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
Something to keep in mind is that baggage handlers are on the lookout for logo luggage.
There's certainly something to be said for a generic looking, non-branded bag. On destination trips I've usually, but not always, gotten to the baggage retrieval carousel ahead of my checked bag. And I also think handlers/inspectors are more likely to be tempted by a bag that suggests expensive gear is inside.

ts47

Reaction score
You guys have some interesting comments and suggestions. I too prefer a generic looking bag. I own a lot of camera equipment and purchase only generic luggage to carry it around in. I just don't feel like flashing a banner that says Nikon, Cannon or Sony is a smart idea. I also appreciate a deal. I've never ordered one of these, uh, fancy bags before and wouldn't again unless it was deeply discounted (currently $188.30). A retail price of over $300 just doesn't fit my personal definition of value. I'm not judging here if you shop this way.

Just to see what else is out there, I did a quick search for drop bottom duffel bags with wheels.
The Orvis bag is 31"H x 15"W x 16"D; 7,440 cu. in. which is a good size. I mean the bigger the better, as long as it can get checked at an airport without extra fees. https://www.orvis.com/p/safe-passage-drop-bottom-duffle/2yjn
I found this bag at Costco with good reviews. It's a bit smaller at 30”H X 15”W X 14”D for $49.99. https://www.costco.com/ful-rig-deluxe-30"-drop-bottom-rolling-duffel.product.100647161.html Credit to WNCtroutstalker for the idea.
The Costco bag is made by a company named Ful. They have a Workhorse version that is slightly larger and a little more durable. Size is 30”H X 16”W X 14”D for around $100 depending on where you buy it.
And this Coolife budget bag that had good reviews for $69.99. Size: 30" 14 x13 x 30.7inches. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSBNNFM/?tag=travelbagquest-20&th=1

Without chasing down too much of a rabbit hole, the above is what I came up within my budget-minded search. There was a plethora of other options that were too short, had bad reviews or were as WNCtroutstalker mentioned, too big/long to fit within the standard 62" airline guideline for free checked baggage. There were other bags too that were similar in price or more expensive than the Orvis bag.

My trip isn't until August. I'll likely wait until I receive the Orvis bag so I can see it, then do a more detailed comparison search. The Orvis bag seems to have the best dimensions so far for fitting on a plane and actually getting a rod tube or two inside with all your clothing, etc. You might even think a company that sold fly fishing gear could have designed it. ;) There is also the Orvis warranty should something go wrong. I'm glad to seeall the reports on this bag are favorable. (y)

Last edited:

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
The Orvis bag seems to have the best dimensions so far for fitting on a plane and actually getting a rod tube or two inside with all your clothing, etc.
The Costco bag I bought is different than the one you just found and linked. The current one looks nicer/sturdier.

I see that the Orvis bag is 31" long whereas the others are 30." In my experience you might find that extra inch to be very valuable. I think the stated dimensions are usually to the exterior walls and I think some even measure to the bottom of the wheels (though not necessarily the top of the handle). Anyways, the internal dimensions for actual storage will certainly be less than the stated dimensions. The length of tubes for a 4 pc 9' rod can vary, and not all will fit length wise. And even a homemade PVC tube (which is what I use) might either be too long or, if it fits, result in both ends of the rod sections bumping right up against the end cap or possibly even bending. I've found that laying the tube(s) at a slight angle (sideways and/or vertically) is a good workaround, but if also taking boots and waders and it can be a bit challenging to fit everything in.

Sounds like you're going to put the bag in the corner and leave the tags on while you consider other options, but one thing you might want to do immediately is to measure the internal length and also measure your manufacturer tubes or figure out how long a homemade tube could be while leaving an adequate margin of safety for the rod to move a bit. The 31" Orvis bag may well turn out to be much roomier than those 30" alternatives. Good luck!

And it's encouraging to hear someone thinking about traveling!

tomsakai

Reaction score
Something to keep in mind is that baggage handlers are on the lookout for logo luggage. I'm sure there are plenty of Zero Halliburton suitcases that have been tossed around by these folks.
That reminds me of a conversation with a guide out of Sheridan. He said he lost a couple rods and an expensive camera which were in his checked luggage on a trip to Argentina. He said they were stolen on the local flight within Argentina. Don’t know if he was using logo luggage but if I get to go on a similar trip I might consider buying a rolling bag from Costco instead of my huge logo Orvis bag.

ts47

Reaction score
The Costco bag I bought is different than the one you just found and linked. The current one looks nicer/sturdier.

I see that the Orvis bag is 31" long whereas the others are 30." In my experience you might find that extra inch to be very valuable. I think the stated dimensions are usually to the exterior walls and I think some even measure to the bottom of the wheels (though not necessarily the top of the handle). Anyways, the internal dimensions for actual storage will certainly be less than the stated dimensions. The length of tubes for a 4 pc 9' rod can vary, and not all will fit length wise. And even a homemade PVC tube (which is what I use) might either be too long or, if it fits, result in both ends of the rod sections bumping right up against the end cap or possibly even bending. I've found that laying the tube(s) at a slight angle (sideways and/or vertically) is a good workaround, but if also taking boots and waders and it can be a bit challenging to fit everything in.

Sounds like you're going to put the bag in the corner and leave the tags on while you consider other options, but one thing you might want to do immediately is to measure the internal length and also measure your manufacturer tubes or figure out how long a homemade tube could be while leaving an adequate margin of safety for the rod to move a bit. The 31" Orvis bag may well turn out to be much roomier than those 30" alternatives. Good luck!

And it's encouraging to hear someone thinking about traveling!
This is good advice. ^^^

Of what little I've seen, the Orvis bag looks pretty close to ideal. I'll decide what steps I take after I receive the Orvis bag and have a chance to check it out. Thanks for all the good suggestions.

On the travel... It will be my son's 18th birthday. It's a last hurrah before he goes off to college.

Last edited:

ts47

Reaction score
Well, I got the Orvis duffle today. I think it's a keeper, but glad I didn't pay full retail and have a few questions. I will say that I've never owned a stand-up duffel before. There is one thing I found odd. There is a U shaped metal rod used that allows it to stand up on one end. The bottom of the U Velcros to the top side where the feet are. The two sides of the U shaped rod run the length of the duffel somewhat diagonally and appear to sit inside little pockets on the opposite side for support? Undoing the Velcro allows the duffel to flatten. With the rod Velcroed in place, it can't flatten. Is this typically how stand-up duffels are made? Or did I miss something when putting it together? It also looks like the metal rods where they run diagonally lengthways across the bag could be prone to getting bent. Anyone have this problem?

Here are some photos:
2021-02-17 21.59.40 (Small).jpg
2021-02-17 22.00.01 (Small).jpg
2021-02-17 22.04.28 (Small).jpg

My last comment is about the below handle (the one the tag is attached to). It's very stiff and tight to the bag. The fabric on the bag is textured. Thinking about how you carry a bag - lifting, setting down, lifting, setting down... I could see using this handle for any period of time causing the textured fabric to act like sandpaper on your knuckles.

2021-02-17 22.08.30 (Small).jpg

Last edited: