4wt Dry fly rod suggestions

wmelton

Reaction score
Hi, college kid looking for a 4wt dry fly rod. Was thinking Allen Heritage, Orvis Clearwater or Moonshine Drifter. Does anyone have any experience with these or suggestions? Any line suggestions?

jayr

Reaction score
One of the best bangs for the buck is the Redington Classic Trout. They have a few different configurations in 4 weights. Go check them out. Online pricing is better than Redington's pricing. There are 8’, 8 1/2’ and 9’ versions.

rusty 54

Reaction score
I have a TFO Pro 8'6" 4 wt. I like it for dries. I bought it in 2009, so it's probably a couple of generations old. Can't speak about current model. I just got a 8'6" 5 wt Clearwater. It seems pretty nice. Haven't fished it yet. If you can try the model you want, you might like it.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
One of the best bangs for the buck is the Redington Classic Trout. They have a few different configurations in 4 weights. Go check them out.
If you follow the above advice I'd be surprised if you were disappointed. The CTs are nice rods, the price is a bonus.

wmelton

Reaction score
If you follow the above advice I'd be surprised if you were disappointed. The CTs are nice rods, the price is a bonus.
One of the best bangs for the buck is the Redington Classic Trout. They have a few different configurations in 4 weights. Go check them out. Online pricing is better than Redington's pricing. There are 8’, 8 1/2’ and 9’ versions.
Sweet, thanks. This was one of the first rods I looked at but I stopped looking at it for a reason I cannot remember. I think that's the direction I'll go. Have a line suggestion? I was thinking Cortland 444 Modern Trout.

jayr

Reaction score
Sweet, thanks. This was one of the first rods I looked at but I stopped looking at it for a reason I cannot remember. I think that's the direction I'll go. Have a line suggestion? I was thinking Cortland 444 Modern Trout.
I have used that exact line on my 3 weight Redington CT and it does just fine, but the line I prefer better is the AirFlo Super Dri Elite. I have also recently tried the AirFlo River and Stream on some of my 4 weights and like it as well. In a 4 weight, I prefer DT lines, but WF will work as well. I primarily throw dry/dropper rigs at not terribly long distances.

Other lines I have used and like on those more moderate actions are Rio LightLine and Orvis Hydros.

hiplainsdrifter

Reaction score
If you want something a bit nicer than the Redington look at the Hardy Shadow. Dreamy, and relatively inexpensive.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I was thinking Cortland 444 Modern Trout.
I wasn't familiar with that line so I looked it up. Now I don't own a Classic Trout in the 4 wt, but for those CTs that I own/have owned/cast I think a true-to-weight line works best. So for the same price point as the Modern Trout, I probably would go with either the Cortland 444 Classic (the Peach), in either the WF or DT, or the SA Frequency Trout (WF) or Double Taper (DT obviously). Since it sounds like you intend fish primarily dries, you also might want to look into the Wulff Triangle Taper; note though it's a rather polarizing taper (people seem to love it or hate it) and also if you think many of your casts will be short you may find it not to be the best choice. So I'd go with a true-to-weight 4 wt line in a standard/all-around taper--i.e., the Cortland Peach, the SA Frequency Trout/DT or possibly the Airflo mentioned above (I had a Super Dri Elite and though it cast well initially it had about the worst memory of just about any line I can remember, but that was probably 5 years ago and I think the problem may have been addressed). Good luck to you.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
If you want something a bit nicer than the Redington look at the Hardy Shadow. Dreamy, and relatively inexpensive.
To the OP: From the rods you listed, had assumed your budget was $200 +/-. If it's higher then let us know, though unless it's significantly higher would still probably suggest the Classic Trout. Heck, you can get the CT and a line for under $200.

dillon

Reaction score
What length are you going to get? 8’6” is my favorite 4wt length. Great for small to midsize rivers and a nice Stillwater dry fly rod. I have a 486 and 490 of the same make and model. They are two very different rods.

proheli

Reaction score
I had a very good day out of a drift boat with a Red CT. It was a 10' 4 wt, so not quite the same thing, but I def like the rod. Plus, I personally think the color is great, and I know Redington makes some fishing shirts that have the same vibe, so that is cool. You can't get me to criticize the Shadow, like HPD recommends because I have a Hardy and I like every one of them I have cast. Maybe you could find one to try.

You didn't mention the size of rivers you were on. small - 8', med 8'6, large - 9'0. Unless you are really creeken it, I'd get a 8'6.

Last edited:

hiplainsdrifter

Reaction score
Regarding lines, look at the Barrio Small Stream. REALLY good dry fly line for a 4wt and half as much $ as the big names.

jigsup

Banned
Reaction score
Depending on the rod you actually get Barrio may or may not work well . Be advised that Barrio SS is a half size larger than labeled IMO as is others I know as well .

slow_floccer

Reaction score
If you like a slightly faster action, I think the echo 3 rod is a nice rod and good value. They are on closeout right now if you can find the configuration you like, for ~ $230

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Tapatalk

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
FWIW, a point of (perhaps unnecessary) clarification. The Barrio SS line is technically true to weight, but it has a shorter head (25' +/-) and so it's effectively over-weighted. I believe the line was designed/intended for relatively short casts (hence the name, as small streams frequently are overgrown making long or even normal casts nearly impossible), where the "additional" weight will help the rod load better. So to me the suitability of the line will depend more on the conditions than the rod itself. My only experience with Barrio is the SS line (good quality, relatively inexpensive, something like $40 shipped, ordering was easy and it arrived from the UK in about a week), but they do make other lines too. One thing to note is that the SS line (not sure about other Barrio lines) does not come with a factory loop on either end. Now this may not be an issue as many people cut them off anyway, but I thought it was worth mentioning as some like the factory loops for easy loop-to-loop connections.

wmelton

Reaction score
I have used that exact line on my 3 weight Redington CT and it does just fine, but the line I prefer better is the AirFlo Super Dri Elite.
SA Frequency Trout (WF)
What length are you going to get? 8’6” is my favorite 4wt length. Great for small to midsize rivers and a nice Stillwater dry fly rod. I have a 486 and 490 of the same make and model. They are two very different rods.
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I found the CT for $120 so pulled the trigger w/ SA Trout and a 7wt TFO BVK for streamers since I spend most of my year in Vancouver BC fishing big streamers for bull trout. Excited to see how they work out.

Flyrod Buddy

Reaction score
I have and Orvis Superfine Glass 4wt and a Moonshine Revival 3wt . The moonshine revival is an excellent job and wouldn’t hesitate to tell you to get it. I like glass rods

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk