5 Tips to Prepare for a Fly-Fishing Trip Out West

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I agree, mostly just common sense, but the number one recommendation that most guides make is: 1. Practice your casting.

Last year I had a guy in the front of my drift boat during the dry fly fishing season, he couldn't cast 30 ft. He keep telling me to move the boat closer to the bank, but all that did was spook the fish that were up on top sipping. Needless to say he didn't catch many fish and I felt bad for the guy in the back, he could make that cast easy but never had a chance with the boat putting all the fish down.

rockriver

Reaction score
If your going to do any backpacking, make sure you have a tent, sleeping bag, and clothes that get you through an absolute blizzard. That's even in summer since the weather can change too fast at higher elevations.

losthwy

Reaction score
Currently Westminster, Co. Headed to "West Slope"
If your going to do any backpacking, make sure you have a tent, sleeping bag, and clothes that get you through an absolute blizzard. That's even in summer since the weather can change too fast at higher elevations.
I'll second that. Storms in the high country come on fast. Hypothermia can happen in mid-summer for the unprepared.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
6. Anything of great value, cash, gems, favorite tools, expensive cars, photos of old girlfriends, the dog, etc., move into a storage unit before you go. It saves on the wife changing the locks and refusing you access to it...or worse it gets destroyed with the ye-old bonfire of vengeance.

B.E.F.

silver creek

Reaction score
Ibuprofen!! for aches and pains. Dose yourself before you start a long hike.

Bring all medication that you need and if you have a critical subscription that you must have, have your MD write you a Rx for Walgreens or Walmart that is kept on hand. They will fill the Rx when you are out of state. For example, a rx written to a Walmart or Walgreens in Wi can be filled by a Walmart or Sams Club or Walgreens in Montana.