8-10wt graphite blank or kit

RAVC

Reaction score
I am looking to build a graphite rod w/medium-fast or slightly faster action for Steelhead, Coho and Chinook. The best thing I have found so far is the 2-piece Rainshadow Revelation kit from Jann's. I have not found much on the market for these larger rods so please let me know if you are award of alternatives. I am not interested in getting into the faster or super-fast action rods. The kit is only moderately interesting because I do not yet have the tools to machine the cork properly. The only potentially better option I have identifeid is the Epic kits from Swift also look great but I have not had time to contact them directly.

el jefe

Reaction score
I second the Epic idea. I have built rods from two of their kits, and am on number three right now. They are top shelf rods. I'm a big fan.

RAVC

Reaction score
I expected this. Thanks for confirming. I am not one to enjoy mediocre results when I can avoid them. How are warranty issues dealt with? Did you find customs fees were levied on these kits? Strictly speaking, items for personal use are not supposed to experience them. I do not think this would be considered such a luxury item that might cause this to be overlooked. Just guessing here.

RAVC

Reaction score
Yes, but only MHX. Read around the world. These blanks have a reputation of hit and miss. If I learn this about any product I steer clear. Epic is a known. I have read good things about Rainshadow but not enough.

rob bishline

Reaction score
As mentioned above Epic has some nice kits I’ve built 3 . Also North fork composites in Washington makes a nice blank .
In the past NFC had a few bad reviews about customer service and delivery delays but I believe they have made some changes and have turned it around. I’m currently working on 2 NFC blanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhgsx

Reaction score
You should first determine if you’ll be ok with a 2 piece blank vs the versatility of a 4 piece.

Rainshadow blanks are decent blanks and aren’t budget busters. You can go to getbit outdoors to find all the parts you’ll need if you decide to go this route.

In the same price range of the Revelation, you can also try Proof Fly‘s offering. That site also sells everything you would need.

Another in that price range would be the NFC LMX line. Very competitive price and they are rolled here in the USA. Wait for their sales to get significant discounts.

Epic blanks (assuming carbon) are 3x the price of these others and and that price point opens up a lot more options.

South Fly Fishing

Reaction score
I am looking to build a graphite rod w/medium-fast or slightly faster action for Steelhead, Coho and Chinook. The best thing I have found so far is the 2-piece Rainshadow Revelation kit from Jann's. I have not found much on the market for these larger rods so please let me know if you are award of alternatives. I am not interested in getting into the faster or super-fast action rods. The kit is only moderately interesting because I do not yet have the tools to machine the cork properly. The only potentially better option I have identifeid is the Epic kits from Swift also look great but I have not had time to contact them directly.
The 890C and 1090C blanks are only US$295 from Epic. Surely a steal given their quality. Oh, and if you jump onto their site as a newcomer, you'll get a discount code. You will be impressed by their excellent service. I've had supplies from Epic ordered and delivered in the past last week and it's always a reminder of how online businesses should operate.

The other option, so you know that I'm not in their pocket 😀, is the CTS Affinity X blanks (via CTSFishing dot com) that retail for US$280 (8wt) to US$295 (10wt). Again, great blanks that are powerful in the butt section for fighting strong fish. Check out their P2000 sanded finish. A tough decision between these, but I think the Epic blank edges out the CTS.

Capra

Reaction score
I went through the same research a couple of months ago while cannot comment on how they cast I have 9' 5 wt and 9' 8 wt CTS Affinity X blanks that I am getting ready to wrap. I did have them paint the 8 WT, in hindsight I would order the satin graphite finish on everything from now on. I believe the epic blanks are made by CTS. The rod company Maven is also CTS

The blanks look and feel great they are very straight and all indications would be that they are a winner. Having been to NZ several times I hold the people in high regard and trust them as much or more that a USA made product.

I'm not sure of the forum rules but there is a gentleman named Herb that is the USA rep for CTS, He was very helpful and will order the blanks for you. you can message me for his contact info if you would like.

mhgsx

Reaction score
From what I’ve read, it seems as if CTS no longer rolls Epic blanks. But when you read the description of Epic’s blanks, it reads just like CTS. (They likely use the same technologies since they were rolled by CTS.)

I own/built several CTS rods and I think they’re great bang for the buck. But I still rank Sage’s top blanks higher. They tend to be lighter and better balanced. Are they 50% better when you consider the price difference, nope. But damn if they aren’t at least 90% as good.

el jefe

Reaction score
RE: the price of Epic blanks. They are indeed 3X Rainshadow and MHX, but less than Sage, Winston, and T&T. It is the latter that are the comparables for Epic.

RE: CTS...I live in a town with a CTS distributor, and I went to visit him to pick up some supplies, and asked him about the CTS blanks. His response was that while Sage is his favorite blank, CTS was right there with them, Sage only edging CTS by a smidge. And his response was meant to cover ALL blanks; Winston, Sage, T&T, Scott (he can occasionally get one), etc. So his claim was that CTS was ahead of ALL fly rods except for Sage, and it was close.

rob bishline

Reaction score
Rod builders have some great choices nowadays.
I’ve had good experiences building on CTS,Epic,NFC, MHX, Proof and a couple others I don’t recall at the moment.
I also think the Sage blanks are outstanding...I’m working on an ESN blank now and It’s hard to believe how light a 10’ blank can feel. The finish is top notch also as it should be for the $$$.
Building rods and tying flies are a great way to fill the time away from the river.
I’m always stoked to try a new rod I’ve just completed!

I may soon try the new fiberglass blanks from NFC ... they look pretty nice.

el jefe

Reaction score
Rod builders have some great choices nowadays.
I’ve had good experiences building on CTS,Epic,NFC, MHX, Proof and a couple others I don’t recall at the moment.
I also think the Sage blanks are outstanding...I’m working on an ESN blank now and It’s hard to believe how light a 10’ blank can feel. The finish is top notch also as it should be for the $$$.
Building rods and tying flies are a great way to fill the time away from the river.
I’m always stoked to try a new rod I’ve just completed!

I may soon try the new fiberglass blanks from NFC ... they look pretty nice.

NFC makes glass now? I'm going to have to check that out!

rob bishline

Reaction score
Although I fish with Carbon rods the majority of the time the fiberglass rods I’ve built up are SO much fun !!!
I need to fish them more!!!

original cormorant

Reaction score
Check out Bloke flyrods on both the Bloke website and ebay for blanks. Mick Bell owner of Bloke offers self build kits, built rods or just blanks. Glass, Graphene, or good old graphite.

mhgsx

Reaction score
I just ordered their 476 iconoglass. At $75 (half off right now) couldn't pass it up.
I’m in the process of building this in the cyan color. The blank was surprisingly heavy at 60gm. I was hoping the build would have been no heavier than my Lamiglas Honey build, but it’s looking like total weight is gonna be around 3.5oz. I just hope the balance point will be close to the grip.

Last edited: