8-10wt graphite blank or kit

el jefe

Reaction score
I meant to mention in my last post ....
For those interested, April Vokey did a Podcast with Carl McNeil of Epic rods
that I really enjoyed .
She did also a podcast with Gary Loomis that is one of the most entertaining I’ve ever come across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I went and listened to that podcast. All of the rod mavens need to go listen to the podcast, but especially from about the 40 minute mark on. Carl has nailed it with respect to the "technology" in fly rods.

Thanks for the reference.

RAVC

Reaction score
Thanks everyone - very busy here so just had the opportunity to log on and saw all the responses. Here is what I have to add:

1 - I have communicated with Mick Bloke. He suggested a longer switch rod than I was comfortable getting for my son. Great rods, blanks & Mick! I hope to do business with Mick some day.

2- NFC - Forgive me, I forgot about Gary's new venture. Yes, supporting an American firm is desirable. I think we should when we can. I noticed the NFC website features moderate-fast, medium-fast, and fast. I've cast my son's medium-fast TFO rods so I have some idea of the feel but all of my rods are vintage graphite with the best being the Winston WT. I would not expect migrating to a fast action rod would be easy or a good idea with this as my basis. I would like to own a Loomis GLX but have not found any I could afford. There is a 9wt CrossCurrent GLX near but they want $600...the ad states new/unused and the rod looks that good. The Native Run GLX is particularly interesting to me in this weight range.

3 - I did not know grips could be ordered and not require further fabrication. I am not ready to begin buying cork rings and gluing them together...

4 - I know of CTS and have communicated with Herb. He ignores me so I moved on and have no intention of going back.

5 - Epic remains high on the list

6 - I never considered Sage blanks. I only recently learned they sell them.

7 - R. B. Meiser - Great stuff but we talked on Saturday morning. He gave me good advice regarding a rod I should get for my son.

Thanks again. This is all the time I have for now. Cleaning to make room for the tree!

RAVC

Reaction score
I found April's website but I was unable to find a podcast with Carl or Gary. Are these in the 'Anchored' or 'Into the Backing' podcasts? I even searched under premium contact and found something I have been trying to obtain. This is 'The Perfect Cast' by Gary Borger. I have seen recent posts here indicating Gary would forward this to those that requested it from him. I made the request a few weeks ago after reading this here but no response yet.

South Fly Fishing

Reaction score
I found April's website but I was unable to find a podcast with Carl or Gary. Are these in the 'Anchored' or 'Into the Backing' podcasts? I even searched under premium contact and found something I have been trying to obtain. This is 'The Perfect Cast' by Gary Borger. I have seen recent posts here indicating Gary would forward this to those that requested it from him. I made the request a few weeks ago after reading this here but no response yet.
Anchored.

1. Carl's interview is here: https://podcasts.apple.com/nz/podcast/anchored-with-april-vokey/id951475911
2. This is the one I mentioned earlier with Jeff Foresee: https://podcasts.apple.com/nz/podca...ime-fishing-guide/id951475911?i=1000439152373
3. Gary Loomis on his Edge Rods is here: https://podcasts.apple.com/nz/podcast/ep-41-gary-loomis-on-edge-fly-rods/id951475911?i=1000375844063

I hope Ard lets these links through. BTW, these are links to Apple Podcasts so if you're Android or whatever, search and you shall find.

Enjoy!

swcr

Reaction score
I’m in the process of building this in the cyan color. The blank was surprisingly heavy at 60gm. I was hoping the build would have been no heavier than my Lamiglas Honey build, but it’s looking like total weight is gonna be around 3.5oz. I just hope the balance point will be close to the grip.
My 476 Iconoglass comes in a 3.2oz20200826_085843.jpg

bonefish41

Reaction score
As far as "parts" excluding blanks check out REC Components web site. To get a "feel" for rod building check out Mud Hole...are you looking for basic 8-10 wt 9 foot...or Michigan "specialized" Steel Salmon chuck and duck and/or swinging as in 10 footer to switch 11 footer NFC has 10' 8wt and 11' 8wt at $125...until you get the feel for rod building and the blanks you like I would stay with blanks in the under 175 range... other than high end Sage there are no rods to try the blank you are thinking about...you might get lucky with and find a try on an Epic rod or Edge rod and then get the matching blank...for Switch blanks might get lucky and find some TFO DeerCreek 11' blanks

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
May I ask what length blank you are considering? I don't think you've mentioned it.

Kits are good in that everything should fit already, minimising any home work. But you may not like the quality of cork or the aesthetics/weight of the reel seat. Some companies are happy to upgrade these elements, others not.

If you buy separate hardware you need to know the O.D. of the blank's butt in order to buy a reel seat with an appropriately larger I.D. and likewise a cork grip with a big enough bore.
Grip I.D.s can be reamed out by gluing sandpaper spirals to a suitably thin rod or with a suitable rat-tailed file. Inserts are not so soft so are trickier to ream by hand.

One of the trickiest aspects I've found is guessing the winding check's I.D. when putting an order together. If you buy the blank, grip(s) and seat from just one company they should be able to inform you of the nec. I.D. or supply the correct check themselves.
The options are to buy several w/cs with different I.D.s in the hope one fits or to wait until the rest of the order has arrived then measure, order and wait .... Not much fun when you want to crack on but you can start ringing the upper sections in the mean time.
Not everyone epoxies the w/c so you could glue up the butt hardware too, relying on the butt wrap/keeper ring's epoxy to secure the check at the final stage.

One American company as yet unmentioned is Red Truck/Diesel.
I've recently purchased a Diesel kit from a Finnish company, RFT Gear, an 11 ft #6-7 Switch. It comes with blank, grips, rod bag and metal tube for E157 ($190) on sale down from E207. Given that that is for an imported rod (I'm in the EU) you may well find Diesel kits on sale for substantially less in the States.
They carry a 9 ft #9 in this kit range if that's the length you're considering.
I've yet to build mine so can't yet comment, other to say that the cork quality is only AA.
I'll second Snake Brand snake guides. Very little foot filing necessary, if any. Lemke make lovely seats, I agree, but not a budget range.

Whatever you chose, enjoy the build and I hope your lad is delighted with the result.

swcr

Reaction score
The lemke's are in budget range with any quality us mfg seat. When Southwest does one with an insert, it is bored to to closed oversize so as to have to use minimal arboring for assembly. They also have I believe the largest inventory of woods available to be turned, all of which are stabilized for long life

RAVC

Reaction score
The length of the blank is somewhat arbitrary. By this I mean it will depend on what I encounter. It seems conventional for people to use 9' 9 or 10wt single hand rods but I am also willing to consider a short switch rod. I prefer to keep the rod under 11'. This effort is a question of equipping myself, my son, and trying to stay away from rods with excessive costs. A commercial rod I am considering is the Echo OHS. I suspect the Epic kits possess quality throughout but can make no claims regarding others. I know of Red Truck but I was not attracted to the offerings I saw on their website.

Last edited:

bonefish41

Reaction score
If you're drifting too commercial you have lots of Asian options slightly above, at, or below $200. Just go to multitudinous flyshops including Bass Pro and try, then drift to Ebay and see if you can get what you have tried "good used"...additionally one domestic who asserts USA made that's Colton his offerings are around 200...there's allot of options 9' to 11' IMO you need to determine arbitrariness ..."The length of the blank is somewhat arbitrary..." which is usually determined by species, venue, and season with subsets of single or double hand or both, drift boat, tube, wading, and methodology: dry, wet, nymph, indicator streamer, swinging...Lee Wulff advocated a 6' cane for Atlantic Salmon but he was the exception.

mhgsx

Reaction score
The length of the blank is somewhat arbitrary. By this I mean it will depend on what I encounter. It seems conventional for people to use 9' 9 or 10wt single hand rods but I am also willing to consider a short switch rod. I prefer to keep the rod under 11'. This effort is a question of equipping myself, my son, and trying to stay away from rods with excessive costs. A commercial rod I am considering my son is the Echo OHS. I suspect the Epic kits possess quality throughout but can make no claims regarding others. I know of Red Truck but I was not attracted to the offerings I saw on their website.
Are you looking to use this for overhead casting or more for spey-style?

i just picked up a Sage Payload blank for a crazy idea to use as a two-handed, overhead beach rod. The blank is designed with a stiffer tip section to lift big streamers or poppers, similar to traditional spey blanks. It‘s short, only 8’9”but that makes it easy to fit in my luggage for check in (as of November, Cabo was not allowing travelers to hand carry a rod tube). A CTS Affinity M has similar characteristics.

The wife is petite and she struggles single hand casting 8wts and up. A two handed 8wt makes for a much easier day, so it will see double duty as a Great Lakes steel/brown/salmon rod for her and hopefully work as my crazy beach rod idea.

mhgsx

Reaction score
;Quite the contrary, that is a piece of stabilized spalted Tamarind. If I wanted it lighter I would have used a cork insert, or a cork slide band seat
It looks great. I’ll have to remember that the next time i order some reel seats.

bonefish41

Reaction score
"It‘s short, only 8’9”but that makes it easy to fit in my luggage for check in (as of November, Cabo was not allowing travelers to hand carry a rod tube)"
Been three times this season to East Cape for Dorado, Wahoo and Tuna tournaments at Van Wormer resorts...domestic flights down carry on flyrods and all reels both fly and blue water but have to check blue water two piece rods 56"-60" tips...coming back have to check everything out of Cabo...don't know if it's a consistent outbound Mexican standard but Cabo at the checkin counter they have a nice plastic place mat sized sheet with pictures prohibited carry ons ...BTW as I posted earlier in this section I checked my "beater" 12wt going down since I had to check my blue water rods...the TSA security mob bent and dislodged a steel snake and broke a ceramic ring on one of my blue water rods during their inspection after check in...this 12wt was a bought not rolled otherwise it would have had REC's Titanium.

RAVC

Reaction score
Anchored.

1. Carl's interview is here: https://podcasts.apple.com/nz/podcast/anchored-with-april-vokey/id951475911
2. This is the one I mentioned earlier with Jeff Foresee: https://podcasts.apple.com/nz/podca...ime-fishing-guide/id951475911?i=1000439152373
3. Gary Loomis on his Edge Rods is here: https://podcasts.apple.com/nz/podcast/ep-41-gary-loomis-on-edge-fly-rods/id951475911?i=1000375844063

I hope Ard lets these links through. BTW, these are links to Apple Podcasts so if you're Android or whatever, search and you shall find.

Enjoy!
South Fly Fishing -
Note the missing identity for the Carl McNeil (sp?) podcast. That is .../id951475911 should apparently be followed by '?i=number sequence'.

Maybe your copy/paste was a partial copy/paste? Could you look into this? I am looking at all of April's Anchored podcasts and I do not see her interview with Carl.

RAVC

Reaction score
Episode 5! Sorry for the lack of a formal url. I reviewed the entire list 3x in iTune's before I located it! I guess my OCD is not as good as it used to be!