90s Sage rods

VTWolverine

Reaction score
I spoke with someone recently who inherited a substantial haul of rods from their grandfather not long ago. They've put together a list of the rods they intend to sell. I've done some digging into the models, but I don't have any personal experience with the majority of the ones listed. Any particularly notable examples or classic configurations in here? The SPL 474-3 caught my eye and seems like a rare build. Here's the sheet:

AvxmXXg.png

jayr

Reaction score
To find approximate prices, go to Ebay and go to advanced search. Go to sold listings only. That will at least tell you what people are truly paying for them.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
To find approximate prices, go to Ebay and go to advanced search.
^^^^^ is the best advice, and of course the condition will have a huge impact on the resale value. All of the Sage rods above are likely to attract interest (at the right price), but I wouldn't say that any of them fall into the category of "cult classics", unless perhaps a SPL happens to be one of the center axis models. Subject to that and of course the condition of the individuals rods, I would guess that the two RPLs generally would be the most sought after of the bunch. Certainly not saying they're all old clunkers or worthless, far from it (your friend will realize a nice payday), but Sage made a lot of rods and so none of those is especially rare (now if that list included a never-fished LL 389-3......). Just my two cents.

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lol...can’t win for losing here.

I am fond of fast action rods, I am also very fond of sage rods. I have a couple RLW’s and few other brands not on the list but this list reads similarly to mine. There are standout rods in my book but the rods on that list are virtually all premium and once you are at that level of rod the actual rod and feel is very much a preference to fit or match ones needs and desires. Exceptional taste in rods fosho. They will have no problem selling these rods and I bet they are in very good condition. I have been fishing almost exclusively with sage since 1982, I enjoy and own several other brands but these days I almost always find a sage in my hand, ceratainly not because I think they are the only great rods out there, it’s just what I have grown up with. Saturday morning I was busting the wind with my new Tidal, a real sweetheart. Cheers.

SkipS

Reaction score
Ive had the 690-4 RPL for about 20 yrs now and its a great rod and well liked by others.The RPL has a sort of a cult following with many folks.

falconer57

Reaction score
I'm partial to the RPLXi series for salt. Not as fast as modern sticks but suits my casting style. All of mine have been bought off the Bay of E at about 1/3 the price of a new rod. But never buy from a seller that won't take returns and also advertises a pristine rod.

mike_r

Reaction score
A man with that many fine rods must have spread the love around enough that any one of them shouldn’t be too beat up. I personally would be interested in the SLT rods. A few of those are mis-listed like the ‘LT’ 490-4 (assuming that one is an SLT?). Another: Winston Boron IV??? 386 model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VTWolverine

Reaction score
A man with that many fine rods must have spread the love around enough that any one of them shouldn’t be too beat up. I personally would be interested in the SLT rods. A few of those are mis-listed like the ‘LT’ 490-4 (assuming that one is an SLT?). Another: Winston Boron IV??? 386 model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I ascribe the typos to the fact they didn't have any exposure to fly fishing prior to inheriting the collection. It was pretty wild how extensive it is though; dozens of cork drag Abel reels, many boxes full of flies that are all individual catalogued and labeled.

VaFisherman

Reaction score
All of the Sage RPLX and RPLXi rods on that list are great salt water rods. I own the Sage RPLX 9wt listing and it is one of my favorite rods even though is is 25 years old, and yes it is heavy but if you time it right it will throw a whole fly line. The Sage SP are also good rods for someone who likes a relaxed casting stroke.

That man had good taste in fly rods.

ghostrider408

Reaction score
That's a great collection of Sage rods. Those rods will have no problem selling. Expect anywhere from $200 to north of $450 (for the LLs) for any of them depending on condition. Here's a tip that will increase the value by at least $50 bucks for each rod.... If the grips are soiled, get some Dawn dish soap on rag, run the cork under some warm water in the sink and then give it a good scrubbing to get the soil out. Then, let it dry out and get some fine grit sandpaper and sand the grip lightly going around cork (not up and down lengthwise). They will come out looking like new. Then for the blanks and reel seats get some furniture polish and shine em up. I'm not sure why guys don't do this when trying to sell rods. When I see a filthy, soiled up cork grip, I am immediately turned off from buying that rod. Tells me that it really wasn't cared for very well.

hunter1

Reaction score
I have 2 LL's. A 3 wt and a 4 wt .I would never sell them, I truly love the rods But about a year ago , I was offered about $ 500.00 for each. Nice , but I wasn't interested. If I remember right ,I think I only paid around $ 475.00 to $ 500.00 each. That was in the late 80's. From what I understand the LL has become a classic. But now with Sage's new LL's at around $ 900.00 bucks. Who knows.

AzTrouter

Reaction score
Ebay is definitely the way to sell those rods. One word of advice would be to trickle them out, too many of the same spec vintage rods will keep your sale prices down. I would list them in ‘quiver’ batches to keep the supply down and bidding hot.

I enjoy playing about on eBay :- )

$200 to $400 will be about right, but most of the non LL rods will be slightly north and south of $300. There’s a strong market for Sage rods of all vintage almost all he time.