90s Sage rods

AzTrouter

Reaction score
....something else comes to mind, when did 90’s become vintage haha

I’m always mildly surprised by the large numbers of very lightly to unused rods that surface. Rods sitting in their tubes for 20+ years, sort of begs the question of how many of the trendy and latest and greatest are actually getting fished in any serious manner.

Lots and lots of Sage rods are in this category, makes one wonder why that is and to add to that thought, why are the LL series so widely coveted and sell for a couple bills higher than they did new? :- )

hunter1

Reaction score
No answer why rods are not used much after buying. But as far as the Sage LL rods, I don't know if you eve ever fished one, But once you do , a lot of people want one. I'm not saying they were the best, but darn near one of the best. I have rods I bought cheap because someone got into FF and lost interest after awhile. These rods I use for some one just beginning to use. If they like FF I'll give them the rod and reel outfit. I have bought some great rods still in there tubes. for decent price's. I just gave my son in law a nice older Winston Boron Biiix 4 wt I had.

Last edited:

AzTrouter

Reaction score
My first Sage rods were a 697 VSP followed by a 476 and my third Sage rod was a 586 LL.

The 586LL has always been a favorite of mine, even as the first two fell to back up status

hunter1

Reaction score
Az Trouter, I figured why all the rods in tubes. Marketing. Years ago friend who played golf showed me his colletion of drivers and clubs. This man had about 10 to 15 drivers and a couple of set's of clubs. He said in golf your always looking for the Holy Grail to make your game better. Plus the golf adds tell you buy one and get better . This could be the same in FF. :D

falconer57

Reaction score
AZ, I have no answer to your question except it's human nature to collect, hoard and not use stuff. I'm glad folks do cause, as a sportsman on a budget, I love the secondary market on rods, reels, longbows, guns, canoes, etc. And it's my opinion that "vintage" stuff was usually built right and sometimes even in America!