96º, In the Shade

darkshadow

Reaction score
I was supposed to go to the Tule, I ended up at the Kern instead. I didn't want to risk running into skinny, and unfamiliar water, especially since it was going to be 103º out, especially with the GF and dog riding along.

Got to the Kern at around 6:30 am. Temperature was already at 79º degrees. By 8:30, it was 90º. Needless to say, I stopped fishing around 9 and ended up drinking beers and purifying myself in the not-so-cold waters of the Kern. During the non-baking morning, I managed 6 stockers in the hour and a half that I actually could fish, nothing bigger than 10 inches.

The summer Raft and Bikini hatch happened soon thereafter and the river was littered with bathers. It was 103º when we left.

I'd ask for Fall to get here ASAP, but all that means is that our waters will be even skinnier, which is saying something.

mikel

Reaction score
That's a long ugly drive for 6 stockers and a bikini parade. I'm either going over 8k feet or staying home again this summer.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
It seems like it is HOT all over. I just got back from Island Park, ID, it was 92 degrees when I left for home, by the time I got to Rexburg it was 96. At least in the fishing department you did better then we did on the Henry's Fork, four anglers and four days of fishing and only one landed. Argh!!!!

runningfish

Reaction score
I was planning to catch some large mouth last week Sunday when Brie the weather girl said it was going to be hot and humid. Stayed home watched Seinfeld marathon on HuluPlus instead.

darkshadow

Reaction score
Oh, I also forgot, I caught about a dozen pike minnows/squawfish/suckerfish/whatever they're called. They are running rampant around the river, especially in slack water, which there is tons of. Algae is already growing on the big rocks, and although I 'slipped' and fell into the drink completely once, I realize my body actually wanted me to go into the drink subconsciously, since it was already approaching triple digits and I made no effort to prevent the fall. When you're sweating and you're in thigh high water, you know it's time to call it a day.

I don't think I've ever said this this early in the season, but it's time to blow the dust off my Conquests and MG7s and get back to harassing the largies/smallies/stripers in my local impoundments. I think I still know how to cast a baitcaster.

I'd continue fly fishing, but I hate that my "local" stream is a 2 hour drive away, and my shocks on my truck are shot.

darkshadow

Reaction score
Oh, and I'm also not too happy at Simms right now and their retractors.

During my trip to Bishop, I noticed that my retractor had fallen off my 1/2 day pack, and luckily it had fallen in my car. The little mechanism that locks the retractor in place on the pack was completely open. Don't know when or where it happened, but I'm glad it fell inside my truck.

During my last trip locally, where a lot of bushwacking was done, I got back to my car and I noticed I had lost my favorite pair of hemostats/pliers. The metal clip had broken so it no longer locks. I'm sending it back to Simms.

This last trip? I lost my nippers and my other retractor completely, and it must have opened up like the first one that I saved.

So now i'm out 2 retractors (unless I send the broken one back) and a pair of pliers and nippers.

Fun times.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Supposed to be over 100 or right there every day this week. And just in case you wanted to sleep in and fish the evening, we have thunderstorms predicted in the evening everyday this week as well. Had this morning off but the cars clutch master cylinder decided to go out last night, by the time I was done with it this morning it was 95. Oh well.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

yikes

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever said this this early in the season, but it's time to blow the dust off my Conquests and MG7s and get back to harassing the largies/smallies/stripers in my local impoundments. I think I still know how to cast a baitcaster.

I'd continue fly fishing, but I hate that my "local" stream is a 2 hour drive away, and my shocks on my truck are shot.
OR... try the salt, like this guy:
https://alquattrocchi.wordpress.com/2015/07/01/outside-the-box/

PM me if you want to go with the Pasadena Casting Club on July 11.

rockriver

Reaction score
It got to 83 for about 1 1/2 hours today here. 73 now with 81 tomorrow for a high with the rest of the week in the 60's for a high.

yikes

Reaction score
It got to 83 for about 1 1/2 hours today here. 73 now with 81 tomorrow for a high with the rest of the week in the 60's for a high.
Oddly enough, LA had a cooler 4th of July. It was mid 70s at Dodger Stadium, where they almost snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

darkshadow

Reaction score
The marine layer finally came back to LA, after a batch of 'subtropical' moisture that blanketed the area for almost a week, which left the basin very muggy, which is not normal for these parts. Unfortunately, even though a few areas received some flooding, there wasn't much rain that came along.

darkshadow

Reaction score
darkshadow, for some really local fishing, maybe you ought to try this:
https://youtu.be/zg3d1c1oDKs
I grew up fishing that uh, river. We'd dig up worms and catch tilapia till the cows came home.

I see people there on Sunday mornings as I drive past to go to my baseball game in Griffith Park. I wouldn't even know what to throw at those guys, except flies that resemble a dough ball or a kernel of corn.

wolfglen

Reaction score
I grew up fishing that uh, river. We'd dig up worms and catch tilapia till the cows came home.

I see people there on Sunday mornings as I drive past to go to my baseball game in Griffith Park. I wouldn't even know what to throw at those guys, except flies that resemble a dough ball or a kernel of corn.
They will take flies, small wets and nymphs fished dead drift or dead fall.
Now if you want to have some exciting fishing, think about this. Trout often don't feed until the evening rise and then they can go nuts.

Tilapia feed mainly on algae and other aquatic plant life, but also include small insects, grubs, nymphs, worms, etc.

However, they will adapt to taking other forms of food. I have three ponds here at Wolfglen , stocked with bass, bluegills, and tilapia. I feed them a combination of floating and sinking catfish food, dog food pellets, rolled oats, chopped spaghetti, cracked corn, macaroni, etc.

Once they realize that these things taste good, they respond to imitations of those foods in the form of standard fishing flies: floating pellets/ brown beetles, sinking pellets/ gold ribbed hares ear nymph, rolled oats/ small wet flies with a hen hackle wing in a light cream color, shopped spaghetti/ small white worm, cracked corn/yellow sally, etc.

In places around here where I canoe/kayak often, when I am going along, I throw a hand full of mix in the water and they fish there become accustomed to it.

Now, approach one of my ponds or where I have the fish conditioned and cast a fly into there midst and your chances are about the same as catching a trout when they're not actively feeding.

Catch one or two from an area and they stop feeding just as trout do after a few put up row in the pool.

However, start an artificial hatch with a teaspoon of pellets/ corn, spaghetti and they start feeding, sometimes going crazy.

I had Nikito from Argentina here for a few days and he was amazed at how they can be crazy one minutes and selective the next.

Jack