99 Problems and my cast is 1

fishing hobo

Reaction score
Go to fly fishers international site and look at the education section videos on casting (not the Carl McNeil one), it has basic casting video there.

silver creek

Reaction score
When a beginner "advances" too quickly through a series of fly casting video lessons, the result is multiple casting errors from rod tracking, to slack, to poor stops, to creep, to cracking the whip, etc, etc.

The point of a series of video casting lessons is that each step must be mastered before moving on the next step. The pick up and lay down cast must be mastered before adding a false cast. Two false casts much be mastered before lengthening line. You get the idea.

When you don't know what is wrong, go back to the basics.

Learn Lefty's rules of fly casting:

4 Principles of Fly Casting - Gulf Coast Fly Fishing School

Here is Lefty's rule #1. You cannot cast UNTIL the end of the line starts moving.

YouTube

With EVERY beginner I have EVER taught, I start with rule #1. And every beginner I have ever taught immediately violates rule #1!

What they do is they start their cast when there is SLACK in the line laying on the ground or water. That means that when they start to cast, and lift the rod into the backcast, they really are NOT casting. They are removing slack line and they shorten the length of the actual rod stroke so the backcast is poor and that leads to a poor forward cast.

They HEAR rule # 1 but they don't UNDERSTAND rule #1, and they don't understand that rule #1 is RULE #1 because it is the foundational rule of fly casting.

SOOOOO.....

Beginners, listen up. Master each step of learning to cast before moving to the next step. I know it is tedious, it is boring; but it is also effective. I would bet a dollar to a dime that a person that masters each step will become a good caster faster than a person who goes too fast.

Last edited:

osseous

Reaction score
My other common observation with new students is pace- the false idea that the faster they can move that line, the better. So when I'm teaching rule one, it's "Get the entire line moving...SLOWLY". Go too fast, too soon- and you run out of acceleration somewhere in the middle~

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi all,

For these first two years my cast and I have NOT gotten along well. As I was out yesterday I was just trying different things and noticed something that helped me improve my casting but I don't think it's a desirable way to cast.

So, what I've always found is that my loops/casts simply aren't coming out straight. Accuracy lacks but also the simple unrolling of the line is far from what I want.

Normally, I have some line in my left hand and then my right hand simply on the cork. What I start to find was that if I held my first two fingers on my right hand against the line it worked MUCH better. I was able to be more accurate and the line unrolled much better than what was before.

Now I don't think this is ideal way of casting but I could really "feel" things a little better but I would imagine having essentially two hands on the line coming into play likely could introduce some issues. So, how can I fix this?

My cast has grown increasingly more frustrating and it was nice to have some "workaround" yesterday after finding about simply applying some pressure on my rod hand on the line. It's almost like I can't get the rod to really load without it.

When not doing that I find it very difficult to cast more than 10-15 feet and I just don't get a feeling. I'm really not sure how to explain it - it's difficult.

Unfortunately, I don't have video because I was on the water yesterday by myself quarantining. Hopefully what I'm explaining makes enough sense and you guys can give me some input. If not - I can try to clarify/explain more.
Did you ever buy that book I wrote about to you?

This one?

s-l1600.jpg

As I have said many times, I used that in 1978 and never looked back. At this point that was 42 years ago and I can honestly say that there is nothing of any real value that I cannot do with a fly rod & line.

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
Did you ever buy that book I wrote about to you?

This one?

View attachment 22038

As I have said many times, I used that in 1978 and never looked back. At this point that was 42 years ago and I can honestly say that there is nothing of any real value that I cannot do with a fly rod & line.
Yessir - sure did! Read it front to back. For me I think it’s a matter of execution. I think about the stuff in my head but it’s the execution.

LOC

Reaction score
It's so hard to figure out what's going on with your cast from what you think your doing to what you might be doing and to foul things up a bit more are you explaining exactly what you are doing.

If I were going to try and trouble shoot your issue I would ask you to do a simple pick up and lay down cast with minimal line out. Your right hand on the rod left hand not in play and all the slack out of the system. So when you make your cast it's just no slack rod tip and reel. From there it will be easier to figure where your problem lies.

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
This video was super helpful. I went back to the river yesterday and felt much better. I still have some significant improvements to make when using my left hand on the cast but two pointers that seemed to help a lot that Joan gave was don't "snap" on your cast until your leader is about to be lifted off of the water and when using your left hand pick it directly up so it's almost a window to look through between your rod hand and off hand.

Definitely need to keep practicing but those two tips in that video went a long way for me. Hopefully this virus stuff chills out a bit and maybe I can get some lessons.
Her double haul video is excellent also. She will show you to follow the right with the left and not to introduce slack. But she says first: master the snap and the PULD. With a good snap you wont need to worry about hauling...rarely.

osseous

Reaction score
Until you go Tarpon fishing for the first time.....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

flafly14

Reaction score
I think Bill Gammel does a good explanation of things. Maybe go though his series here. The 5 essentials is great.

YouTube