A belated trip report for the Deschutes and Grande Ronde (warning: long post)

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
A terrifically told tale, MCHammer. So well written it flowed seamlessly and, far from being too long, left me wanting more. You should try selling the film rights! :)
My sympathies and commiserations on your shattered dreams of a great trip and the loss of a fishing friend. I'm sure you're not alone in the experience, I know I've been there myself and more than once. One guy would always be late, his rod still in the bag while mine was ready to go and on the car carriers. When we got to the loch he'd set up while I bailed the boat, then he'd ask me to tie his flies on once that job was done. He was so poor at the oars I'd have to do all the rowing, too, then endure him casting into my water on the drift. And he was a blabbermouth so I soon learned not to take him to my special places.
A good fishing partner is a rare bird and something to treasure if you can find one. If not, best to fish alone!

ghostrider408

Reaction score
An excellent piece of writing for sure and a colorful story of steelhead fishing. Superb! I think we all have or have fished with buddies that are a pain in the you know what. But, they all have a character each their own. I try to find the positives in all of the people I fish with, although each has their annoying quirks, me included. But, we can all learn something from each other, and what I learned from this story was that Chuck did share a couple of good runs. That's always worth something in my book.

MCHammer

Reaction score
An excellent piece of writing for sure and a colorful story of steelhead fishing. Superb! I think we all have or have fished with buddies that are a pain in the you know what. But, they all have a character each their own. I try to find the positives in all of the people I fish with, although each has their annoying quirks, me included. But, we can all learn something from each other, and what I learned from this story was that Chuck did share a couple of good runs. That's always worth something in my book.
I agree, and I may never have fished the Deschutes if Chuck hadn't invited me to meet him there a few years before this ill-fated trip. He shared some runs that I caught steelhead on, so I owe him that. I'll never be able to go back there without thinking of him. And I probably will go back, being an old retired guy with an RV and nothing better to do!