A Fish A Month For....(ever?)

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm happy to see some of you guys being able to get out during winter months. I used to fish all year with winter being the very best time to fish springs but here the water is kinda frozen now. My last trip was Thanksgiving day and I'm finally recovered from a little frostbite on all the fingertips.

I'd love to catch a plane to somewhere I could fish but things aren't lined up that way. Boss my German Shepherd is getting old and loading him into a crate for a flight other than Oregon isn't in the cards. So we go to the cabin, he rides in a big dog crate on the freight sled and we make the 75 mile trip out there several times each winter. I can fish there but have to drill a hole in the ice to do it and generally I just work around the cabin instead.

The days are getting longer and sometime in May the ice will go out. When that happens the steelhead will be in the rivers followed by king salmon so I will have to wait. Still I enjoy the photos guys and remember, keep them wet and let em go :)

nimblybimbly85

Reaction score
Work totally gets in my way!

How have you all balanced work, family with fishing?

I don't have kids yet and I'm seriously considering not to.

Bigfly

Reaction score
When I started to think about getting serious, I asked a guide about the life.....
He asked me if I was married.......
I said no, and he said good.

This not a sport for those with others in tow, mostly.....
You can teach them or leave them, but a spouse would have ended my career many years ago. Let alone kids........
I sought a life of fishing, not balance.....
To get good at anything, there will be a trade-off......

Jim

only adipose

Reaction score

Keep a beater rod rigged in the car and make a cast whenever and wherever you can.... stopped today didn't even put boots on and first cast....

There is always a chance.

ivory arrow

Reaction score
I am not familiar with that species of fish. Is that a normal growth on his head?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dc410

Reaction score
Nice creek chub! Here's another one from the minnow family. It was a great way for me to start the 2017 carpin' season and a nice way to finish up the month of March. This was my biggest minnow on the fly to date at 35" and well over 20 lbs.

only adipose

Reaction score
I am not familiar with that species of fish. Is that a normal growth on his head?
Stone roller, I don't see these too often either. The tubercles are normal.

DC410- I hate carp, but man, that is a good one! Nice fish, Congrats.

Last edited:

ivory arrow

Reaction score
Nice fish!

I haven't been posting in here because I post in my own thread, but I have been keeping up with you!

In fact I am proud to report that when I bought my new fishing license for this year, I completed 12 months with a fish for every month. To my surprise I caught some really nice trout this winter!

I hope this time next year that it will be 2 years going strong.

only adipose

Reaction score
Nice fish!

I haven't been posting in here because I post in my own thread, but I have been keeping up with you!

In fact I am proud to report that when I bought my new fishing license for this year, I completed 12 months with a fish for every month. To my surprise I caught some really nice trout this winter!

I hope this time next year that it will be 2 years going strong.

Thanks. Exploring the Rockies is a great thread, keep it up! I should make one exploring the East! haha nah, but yesterday, I had this sneaking suspicion that there were brook trout in a local lake (In MD so this is odd). I did a little prospecting and landed a few smallies and perch, but it wasn't long before casting drys to some stocked rainbows and wild brookies in the lake (well, right where the stream dumps into the lake)!

Trout fishing in the winter is the best. Snowy days on the river are the most beautiful and the fish don't seem to mind.

thadf

Reaction score

This view about having a family saddens my heart.

To put fish above a child? That's a logic I can't understand, or support.

I pray that God comeS into your life and blesses you with a life to take care of.
It's the greatest blessing you could ever receive.

I have 4. Yes, at times it can be very frustrating, but I firmly believe it to be worth the sacrifice.

Totally not trying to rain on your parade, but there really is no comparison.

God love you!

thadf

Reaction score
Didn't mean to kill the thread. Sorry...let me try again.

I don't have any pics to post right now, but this could take my mind off of a few things. I think maybe I'll do as the OP suggests and try to catch at least a fish a month for as long as I can.

Thanks for the focus. I'll report back as soon as I can.