A fluid trip report

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Onward through the fog. Chris would say this every time we headed for the water. Not on this trip.

I am headed to the Green, a trip Chris and I made together 28 times in the last 31 years. This year I will be alone. A couple of months ago he died from a massive stroke. 50 years of companionship ended in the blink of an eye.

Please bear with me here. This is a very difficult trip for me and while I find it cathartic to write about it is not easy.
Friends like him are once in a life. We spent a life getting in trouble, making mistakes, sharing the ups and downs of moving from kids to adults. Always there through thick and thin. And in an instant, you have nothing but memories.

Our Green trips were always very special. An opportunity for us both to just drop out for a few days, away from the routine and pressures of every day life.

At his funeral his Mom asked me to take his remains and do with them as I saw fit. He never married and had no other family. So I am taking him to the Green with me. Chris lived to fish. Everything else was just clutter and trappings of society to him.

There is a spot on that river he considered the perfect experience. So that's where I'm headed.

I'll return to this post with more but leave it here for now.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
Oh man , so sad . You and Chris have a great last time . I know that he will appreciate what you are doing as I would if I had a friend like you . He will be with you always .

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Coming full circle. Needless to say it was a strange trip. The first couple of days I just walked A section. It was very windy and being in the boat all day wasn't appealing. The midge were on but fishing had taken a back seat. I caught a few each day but was always looking over my shoulder for Chris. You know how it is, gotta rub another fish on at your bro😉
On the third day I floated. A little rock outcrop my destination. Overlooking a great stretch of water. His favorite spot. He always just turned it up to 11 here. Something about this stretch just spoke to him. I hiked up to where we had shared many lunches and beers and just sat. For quite awhile. Watching the water I saw multiple fish rising. Chris is still there, watching those fish rise.
I went down to the boat, tied on a 20 Griffiths Gnat, his favorite fly, and openly wept. Pushed the boat off and headed downstream. Not today, not this water. Lazily fished my way to the take out. It was getting dark but fish were rising just upstream. Hooked up the boat then headed up for one last fish. Second cast and a beautiful brown to net. That was for Chris. Onward through the fog.

Last edited:

dswice

Reaction score
A very touching tribute in remembrance of your dear friend. Thanks for sharing and reminding us how precious and uncertain life really is, and also the priority of family and close friends.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
A very touching tribute in remembrance of your dear friend. Thanks for sharing and reminding us how precious and uncertain life really is, and also the priority of family and close friends.
Thanks. Chris showed up late one Friday evening when his family moved into the house across the street. The next morning he saw me loading up my tackle and trusty Zebco and bike to go fish the local canal. He had never fished. Once we cleared it with his parents we were off, and he was hooked. I miss the man everyday.