A might on the toasty side

dharkin

Reaction score
@triocd

I'm not sure but I have a trip scheduled for early October and keeping my fingers crossed. Freestone river that will have farmer's spigots turned on full blast all summer isn't a good recipe.

fatbillybob

Reaction score
Don't tailwaters stay colder assuming there is enough water released from dams or does the water heat up quickly a short distance from the dam? What do dams typically do in low water years? Do they cut flow, but agri gets their water, so the tailwaters get hot and have low flows just like freestone rivers?

stenacron

Reaction score
Don't tailwaters stay colder assuming there is enough water released from dams or does the water heat up quickly a short distance from the dam? What do dams typically do in low water years? Do they cut flow, but agri gets their water, so the tailwaters get hot and have low flows just like freestone rivers?
Not all Tailwaters are created equal. Some are bottom release only, some have multi level release, some are overflowing. Also, some are managed for power gen, some for ag, some for water supply... so release schedules and volume vary.

All things being equal though - cold water releasing downstream - trout move closer to the dam in summer to get to cooler water, and again during winter seeking warmer water (latter is less impactful).

While on the subject, anyone fishing Tailwaters should have a copy of Pat Dorsey's book. One of the best references in my collection. Amazing amount of info crammed in there!