A New Series Coming Soon from Taylor

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
There has been much and legitimate excitement about the recent introduction of Scott Centric and we are soon to see Hardy's new Ultralite series of rods too. What I did not know until recently is Matthew Taylor is reinventing his Anomaly series of medium fast rods too. Yes, they will preserve their niche in his line-up but are all new tapers on new mandrels in response to his long worked on experimentation employing graphene. Like Douglas's SKY-G these new rods are slenderer, very notably lighter and apparently stronger. What they really are is more responsive with greatly enhanced clarity of communication with the fly line. How do I know? I received an advanced prototype 8 1/2'/#4 several days go and immediately took it to a lawn and yesterday to a small river.

T20 021 Taylor A Z L s.jpg
The grip and color are not final but the taper largely is. I cast both RIO Gold and Technical Trout on "Anomaly Z" which was fine with both with a nod to true to weight Tech. Trout. This is a smaller habitat little 4-weight but the line positively flies off its tip-top with remarkable line speed. My immediate problem on the grass was I could not hit my targets (leaves on the lawn); I was over shooting them by several feet. Structural obstacles in my local park limit me to about 60 feet of distance but A Z was eager to show me it could easily exceed that. Its taper is not really progressive, more of a truncated half parabellum, slightly ONEish but more medium fast in flexural profile. The guide set is singe foot Recoils with a CERecoil striper. Though a proto, the thread wraps are epoxy finished, as Taylors have been trending, to T&T grade excellence, Sage and Scott take notice. Oh, and NO intrusive hook keeper.

OK, I don't "know" this new rod, that may have to await an available production acquisition. On the water though, as is typical, I was able to dial it in much better and now could hit floating leaves (I saw no actual fish rising) with precision at any fishing distance from 25' out with my typical elongated dry fly Braid. Anomaly Z's quick recovering tip made reach and water mends a snap. It takes some getting used to but this rod is as close to weightless as I've experienced, true to my theoretical "transparent" line accelerator sensor. It seems easily adaptable to stroke length and speed modifications so, though you feel the lines movements more than this rod's mass, it really is flexing.

E20 034 Raratin c.jpeg

Anomaly Z will be available in November in this lovely 8 1/2'/#4 as well as a 9'/#'s 5 & 6. Heavier line weights will come latter. The very light Taylor T1 reel I fished on this rod is slightly too heavy for it.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
As a follow up and as I wrote in General Discussions about my daughter's Catskill wedding last weekend, Anomaly Z has gotten one more on water experience before going home to its father in Albuquerque. Dressed in my wedding clothes with hiking shoes and a sling pack added, down into Cripple Creek I descended to fish a lovely waterfall pool. No, I did not catch anything but a new son-in-law that day but man does rod zing darts.

E20 001 Plattekill cs.jpg

No mater if it was 20' or all the way to the plunge of the falls, Z generated smooth tight loops with great positive aerial turnover just right for a mountain creek. Yes, several much anticipated 8 1/2'/#4 are on their way to us from Centric, SKY-G and Ultralite that will have a task to compare themselves to this November scheduled Anomaly Z. Oh, being as the T1 reel I have mounted is too heavy at 4 1/2 oz. Taylor will introduce a new trout reel too.

dr d

Reaction score
As a follow up and as I wrote in General Discussions about my daughter's Catskill wedding last weekend, Anomaly Z has gotten one more on water experience before going home to its father in Albuquerque. Dressed in my wedding clothes with hiking shoes and a sling pack added, down into Cripple Creek I descended to fish a lovely waterfall pool. No, I did not catch anything but a new son-in-law that day but man does rod zing darts.

View attachment 27144

No mater if it was 20' or all the way to the plunge of the falls, Z generated smooth tight loops with great positive aerial turnover just right for a mountain creek. Yes, several much anticipated 8 1/2'/#4 are on their way to us from Centric, SKY-G and Ultralite that will have a task to compare themselves to this November scheduled Anomaly Z. Oh, being as the T1 reel I have mounted is too heavy at 4 1/2 oz. Taylor will introduce a new trout reel too.

and i´m convinced that Z and G will concur on the lowest total weight (2,4 oz ?imho) and

the toughest tip section.

nice we and the best wishes to the young couple.

thomas

the norseman

Reaction score
Thank you for the initial Review and Follow-up of the Taylor Anomaly Fly Rod.

Of big importance to me and one question I have; is the Anomaly Made in
America.

Upon reading your Follow-up, I went to the Taylor Web Site, and it appears
to be Designed in the U.S.A. but no mention of where it is actually made.

Could you please give an insight to where the Anomaly is manufactured?
Thank you for all.

Enabling.JPG

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Yes, like Hardy and Douglas SKY-G, both products of excellent western taper designers, Taylor designs his rods here but has them built to his exacting specifications in S. Korea. Why, is this to save money? Well, in fact it does save a little for us consumers but that is not why. Rather there are two shops in S. Korea that have specialized in developing the skill techniques to work with the most advanced materials/Nano resin composites. In Europe as well as America, any rod maker wanting to experiment with the new graphene applications are all turning to the Korean experts.

Taylor is not the first to introduce a graphene technology fly rod, Douglas SKY-G hit a home run with their 9'/#5 and in 2021 will expand their offerings. Hardy's Korean built Zenith was an early application of silica particulate infused SINTRIX resin and are continuing their innovative materials frontier with their forthcoming Ultralites. Taylor though has been working with his Korean fabricators from the onset of this new materials revolution and is now ready to reveal his first production rods employing new material science. Now, we have American rod shops exceling at working with sophisticated material science too, though at this time not graphene, notably Sage and G-Loomis. I have been enjoying the privilege to be fishing all the rods emanating from the above technical exploration and have been very impressed. New rods are lighter, stronger, quicker and more cleanly recovering and more communicative than most any rods before them. But, let me be clear, while many of us are legitimately fascinated by advances in fly rod technology, TAPER design and quality fabrication still come first. One of the most enjoyable and finest performing new rods I've been fishing is the Stickman P5; no Nano particulate infusion, no graphene, just a top quality build by a Master designer from Hungary.

the norseman

Reaction score
Wow! Thank you. That is some interesting stuff on how advanced
the Materials to manufacture Fly Rods have become.

It's like Turtle Wax's new line of Ceramic car wax. I'm really liking
the spray on Wet n' Wax. Car appears to stay some what cleaner
after driving in rain or snow. Appears to get better the more you use it.

Starting using it, spritzing it on, wiping it off while cleaning Fly Rod.
Defiantly makes new rod remain new looking. But just warm wash
cloth and soap on the Cork Handle.

Thank you again. Interesting advance product manufacturing times were in!
WIN_20200913_12_05_11_Pro.jpg

brownbass

Reaction score
Do we have any info on what these rod prices will be running? The Anomaly had caught my attention before but decided to wait on a purchase before S&S announced this new development. I am even more interested now.

Bill

taylorreels

Trade Member
Reaction score
BF61EA50-A2F6-44B7-AE55-FFF6C7522AB2.jpeg
Here is a first look at the new Anomaly Z! The 8’6” 4wt, 9’5wt, and 9’6wt will be available at release. We will start shipping early December. 5wt comes in at 2.7oz and the blank is constructed using our new Graphene tech. The action is medium-fast, but I don’t think that properly describes the taper. The recovery speed is ultra fast. Lightweight accuracy at multiple distances is what the Anomaly Z does best.