A question to those who don't tie...

Why don't you tie flies?

• Total voters

stenacron

Reaction score
Out of curiosity I selected Other just to view the results.

Outside of the occasional fly shop purchase, just because I always like to buy something when I pay a visit, I tie all my own flies - quality, design, and availability - only one way to control all of those.

I was surprised to see time as the primary prevention. Maybe a lot of that boils down to what kind of patterns you need and whether or not you have a permanent tying station. I tie fairly simple patterns for the most part and do have a permanent desk set up. I can knock out a few flies here/there in the morning, before dinner, before hitting the sack, whenever. I rarely plan an extended tying session but always manage to keep my fly boxes stocked.

Hirdy

Reaction score
Just an observation, but the question is for those who don't tie and yet many of the answers are from those who do tie but also sometimes buy.

I wonder how the pole results would differ if answered only by the people who don't own a vice.

Cheers,
Graeme

stenacron

Reaction score
Just an observation, but the question is for those who don't tie and yet many of the answers are from those who do tie but also sometimes buy.

I wonder how the pole results would differ if answered only by the people who don't own a vice.

Cheers,
Graeme
Interesting point Graeme.

If there was a way to view the results of the poll without answering it, I would have done that (maybe there is and I'm just too dumb to figure it out). :)

Reading between the lines though on some of the responses I do get a feel for more "categories" of answers:

* Physical limitations.
* Want to tie, but don't know how to get started.
* New to fly fishing and haven't come to that bridge yet.
* Tying my own flies is just not a priority.
* Don't see the value in tying my own flies.

I found Angelo1987's answer interesting and is part of the #1 reason I recommend against tying "kits"... junk tools make tying (especially for a beginner) difficult to the point of being discouraging. A junk vise that slips all the time or won't hold in position will be nothing but frustrating.

Hirdy

Reaction score
Interesting point Graeme.

If there was a way to view the results of the poll without answering it, I would have done that
There is a link with the label "View Poll Results" to the right hand side of the button that says "Vote Now". (Don't worry - I missed that for a long time too. :icon_redf )

You're right though - there is a trend developing. Personally, I was partly driven to fly fishing by the prospect of catching a fish on something I had created myself. Tying a fly is almost as important to me as casting it.

Cheers,
Graeme

berg

Reaction score
Personally, still new to fly fishing (only two seasons under the belt) and haven't quite had the desire yet. Still not too into the entomology yet either, probably in time. For now, I worry less about flies and fly selection, and more about technique, casting, and general fishing knowledge. That's just me.

stenacron

Reaction score
There is a link with the label "View Poll Results" to the right hand side of the button that says "Vote Now". (Don't worry - I missed that for a long time too. :icon_redf )
Seriously? I am dumb as a bag of hammers.

Thanks Graeme. Now if you'll excuse me... I have to undo several other polls whose results I have skewed. :D

darkshadow

Reaction score
Sunk cost.

Considering all the different patterns that I use, and how many little I use of each, it'd be more expensive to tie my own for the next 5 years, rather than to purchase them.

stenacron

Reaction score
Sunk cost.

Considering all the different patterns that I use, and how many little I use of each, it'd be more expensive to tie my own for the next 5 years, rather than to purchase them.
Yeah there's no doubt that if you're looking to spend the least amount of money on flies, tying them yourself is not the best approach. Anyone that gets into fly tying dreaming about the Ferrari they'll be driving now that they'll be tying their own pheasant tails has been given bad advice. :D

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Tied for years, bucket loads of filled boxes ... twice a life time supply. Found a fellow who wants to get into this and I'll be filling several boxes of fluff, feathers, hooks, etc. and forwarding on to 'good hands.' Only cost to him is refunding my cost for proper boxing and stamps.

Part that surprised me is we have a large (and very active) fly fishing club here in the area and I contacted them about 'passing on.' Not a PEEP BACK!:doh:

beachbreak

Reaction score
I tied for awhile. Decided I could buy better ones inexpensively without spending a lot of time making my own. I lost patience for it as I got older. The pros did it better than me!

Reaction score
Just started fly fishing and still young, 23yrs old, but I do want to tie eventually. But I must be honest and say that it is a little intimidating with all the equipment that seems to be needed.

fredaevans

Reaction score
Just started fly fishing and still young, 23yrs old, but I do want to tie eventually. But I must be honest and say that it is a little intimidating with all the equipment that seems to be needed.
Not really; unless you are going to tie a lot of flies the most basic of equipment will do just fine. The one thing you do want 'To drop the dime' is good thread spools; the 'cheap one's' will drive you nuts. Dont forget the threading tool! Sucking the thread through is a pain where you sit.

Get several so you can just leave the thread spool on the things. If a minimum (I'll assume trout fishing) three or four will do the job: Black, dark green, red, brown, etc. Those four colours will cover most of what you are going to do.

Hook wise, just my .02 cents, here: A packet of 10's, 8's, 6's. Once you get comfie these size hooks then go to 12. Smaller than that and I just buy the danged things:rolleyes: ..... as little as niney-nine cents.:rolleyes:

The vise .... all its for is to hold the hook. But two (basic) bases on these things ... a clamp for the edge of a table/desk or a heavy base plate. The first is as simple as you can get but the other is far more 'portable.'

fae

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Not really; unless you are going to tie a lot of flies the most basic of equipment will do just fine. The one thing you do want 'To drop the dime' is good thread spools; the 'cheap one's' will drive you nuts. Dont forget the threading tool! Sucking the thread through is a pain where you sit.

Get several so you can just leave the thread spool on the things. If a minimum (I'll assume trout fishing) three or four will do the job: Black, dark green, red, brown, etc. Those four colours will cover most of what you are going to do.

Hook wise, just my .02 cents, here: A packet of 10's, 8's, 6's. Once you get comfie these size hooks then go to 12. Smaller than that and I just buy the danged things:rolleyes: ..... as little as niney-nine cents.:rolleyes:

The vise .... all its for is to hold the hook. But two (basic) bases on these things ... a clamp for the edge of a table/desk or a heavy base plate. The first is as simple as you can get but the other is far more 'portable.'

fae
Yep, as Fred said, there isn't that much equipment needed to get started. You can walk in to any big box shop that has a fly section and buy a tying kit for $20-$30 and that has everything that is actually needed, plus a little bit of materials usually as well. No, it's not the best of equipment, but is fine to get started. I still use some of the equipment that came in my original cheapy kit. Actually, I still use every bit of it besides the vise.

Reaction score
Yep, as Fred said, there isn't that much equipment needed to get started. You can walk in to any big box shop that has a fly section and buy a tying kit for $20-$30 and that has everything that is actually needed, plus a little bit of materials usually as well. No, it's not the best of equipment, but is fine to get started. I still use some of the equipment that came in my original cheapy kit. Actually, I still use every bit of it besides the vise.
thanks guys, next time I'm at Bass Pros I will keep an eye open for one of those kits then!

stenacron

Reaction score

don_p

Reaction score
Looks like you're very close to the Bears Den in Taunton, a fly fishing / tying shop.

Bear's Den Fly Fishing Co.

A quick check of their web site indicates they have classes and events that may be of interest. Their Wednesday night gathering looks like it may be just what you're looking for. It would be worth the trip to stop by and check it out and ask questions.

Wednesday gatherings

double d

Reaction score
Fly Tying is very interesting to me, as I like to watch others perform the art of fly tying, as well as the beauty of fly tying (for example: Fred Hannie (spelling) fly tying is often written about in Fly Tying magazine. I also bought a Orvis fly tying set, which wasn't to expensive and is a high quality set. Like anything one likes to do, working full time doesn't always allow time (or patience) for fly tying. But for me, I enjoy just looking at the various flys that each shop has on display for sale, I always enjoy that, so keep up the good work of fly tying to those who are passionate about it.

rando

Reaction score
When I started fly fishing I did not think I would ever tie. Now I cannot imagine buying flies.

fredaevans

Reaction score
When I started fly fishing I did not think I would ever tie. Now I cannot imagine buying flies.
Ah yes ... tying your own .,,,, a 'Wicked Mistress.' I've collected enough stuff over the years I could open a fly shop. Laundry baskets full of the stuff!

You want to 'tie' a couple of a pattern .... but you have to buy enough to tie a couple of dozen.:shocking:
:crazy: