A start on the Gallatin

joeriver

Reaction score
As an honest-to-God beginner with nothing more than a vague idea that I wanted to be Brad Pitt atop a rock, I spent last month ripping grass apart in the backyard of my house with a cheap 8-weight rod and line the quality and coarseness of weed-eater line, practicing my cast and watching videos on YouTube. Someday I’ll buy the perfect rod and actually fish on one of these beautiful rivers near my home in the Catskills, I thought.

Then I found myself on a crosscountry road trip out West, and walking the streets of Bozeman with my wife a few days ago, scared to go into a flyshop because they might corner me into buying something and force me to actually fish, we randomly turned into a shoe store and started browsing. While my wife tried on running shoes, I was speaking to the sales clerk about fishing and he gave me a scrap of paper with his old roommate’s phone number.

That’s how I ended up on the Gallatin earlier today with Brian of Gallatin River Guides, wetting my line for the first time in my life and catching a rainbow within 10 minutes of starting. The morning was clear, the fish were slow, but there was more than enough to last in my memory for a long time.

There is so much too learn, which is good, and a life won’t be long enough, but I am inspired to be beginning. To my fellow newcomers, just jump in. And make sure you savor that first time out. I certainly did.

Wish we had more time here in Montana, but excited to be returning to New York and getting familiar with my local waters.

ed from bama

Reaction score
Good morning to all-

JoeRiver-
Brother. I hate to tell you, but after catching fish your first rattle out of the box, you may be in trouble. In Arkansas they'd say, "You been ruint!"
It's hard to let go of fly fishing once you experience success and see what it really is.
Nice way to start a lifelong habit- fly fishing.

good day to all- Ed

Gotribe

Reaction score
Glad to made it to fly fishing! Don’t be too quick to buy that “perfect” rod, sounds like your cheap 8 wt served you well. I started out fly fishing in Montana 45 years ago with a fiberglas pack rod and caught a lot of trout with it. I don’t even remember now how it felt, but I do remember all the rivers, streams, and alpine lakes it allowed me to fish. Enjoy your journey!

LePetomane

Reaction score
Joe, welcome to our great sport. It is nice that you live in close proximity to some historic waters. Although I live in a fly fishing paradise I still miss fishing the Catskill streams, in partcular the West Branch of the Delaware.