A step in the right direction

el jefe

Reaction score
Not intending to be a jerk, but curious why it always seems to be good news when some mine gets turned down. Our economy and standard of living require the things that come from mines. I am assuming since we are all on computers and mobile phones to write on this forum devoted solely to a leisure activity, and with few exceptions we all use carbon fly rods with fancy chemical glue holding them together and metal reel seats of some sort, that we are all comfortable with our economy and standard of living. So why are the things that bring us our good things bad? Is it only bad if it affects our pet areas? Or are all mines and resource extraction and pollutant-generating manufacturing bad? I guess they can't be too bad, because we sure like and buy the things they're making.

I kind of like what we get from mines, so guess I have to be OK with the means to make them. I don't know if the particular mine in question here is good or bad, but I've never seen a good mine discussed on this forum.

frickerdog

Reaction score
This is not even close to being over. Quote from the article...

The company says it disagrees with the decision, but believes it can resolve the cited issues... “The Company is evaluating its alternatives, which include the submission of an updated permit application or appealing the decision to the EGLE environmental review panel. Aquila has worked diligently to limit impacts to surrounding wetlands and is only directly impacting 11.2 acres of regulated wetlands,” said Barry Hildred, President and CEO of Aquila Resources.
If Aquila can "resolve" the Court's cited issues in a way that makes economic sense, and is entitled to submit an updated permit application by law, then I would anticipate that they will take another shot at this. The Court has now given them a 70-page roadmap of what they have to do for a successful application. I'd be very surprised if they appealed, but would instead expect them to reapply.

Swazicar

Reaction score
I am assuming since we are all on computers and mobile phones to write on this forum devoted solely to a leisure activity, and with few exceptions we all use carbon fly rods with fancy chemical glue holding them together and metal reel seats of some sort, that we are all comfortable with our economy and standard of living.
Not intending to be a jerk, but this would be a false assumption.

jjcm

Reaction score
Not intending to be a jerk, but curious why it always seems to be good news when some mine gets turned down. Our economy and standard of living require the things that come from mines. I am assuming since we are all on computers and mobile phones to write on this forum devoted solely to a leisure activity, and with few exceptions we all use carbon fly rods with fancy chemical glue holding them together and metal reel seats of some sort, that we are all comfortable with our economy and standard of living. So why are the things that bring us our good things bad? Is it only bad if it affects our pet areas? Or are all mines and resource extraction and pollutant-generating manufacturing bad? I guess they can't be too bad, because we sure like and buy the things they're making.

I kind of like what we get from mines, so guess I have to be OK with the means to make them. I don't know if the particular mine in question here is good or bad, but I've never seen a good mine discussed on this forum.
The environmental concern for the Great Lakes watershed is the reason for it. The mine is going to sit on the bank of the Menominee River. Frankly, companies that operate as loggers, miners, etc., are not always careful when it comes to preserving natural resources. There are concerns regarding water contamination from the mine. A court denying them is a good thing; the court seems to have acted on evidence present which protested the mine's application.

You have a good point regarding our desire and need to use products and have an ease in our lives from things mines produce. It does seem like it's better to err on the side of caution regarding these kinds of projects. Denying their application will not significantly impact our lives at the moment, but approving it and allowing a mine to operate might do so if something goes amiss and they ruin the environment in the area in which the mine operates.

Last edited: