A word of caution on the overrun pin on a Hardy Perfect

ghostrider408

Reaction score
So, I picked up a Hardy Perfect Taupo (3 7/8") and moved the pawls to right hand retrieve, as it was set up left hand retrieve from the factory. Then (where the trouble began) I unscrewed the overrun pin and moved it to the factory hole above the engaged pawl for right hand retrieve. Well... being the hardhead I am, I decided it would be a really good idea to really torque that overrun pin down. My Dad always told me things didn't always need to be gorilla tight, lol. As soon as I started to wind the winding plate back on and the gear began to engage the pawl, I could tell something was off, as it made a slight grinding/hanging up noise. I double checked that the pawls were oriented correctly for RHW, and they were.

I reassembled it all and began reeling it both front and back and felt some resistance in the engagement of the pawl to the gear. It was hanging up slightly. I wanted to get it spooled up with backing, so I proceeded to install a little north of 150 yards of 30 lb. backing in black. After that, I put a bimini twist on the backing and a double surgeon's loop onto the running line (40 lb. Siglon F mono). I spooled about 105' of the Siglon and went back to the issue of the slight grind while pulling line off the reel. So, I eyeballed the overrun pin and the empty hole on the other side where I had moved it from and it appeared to be off by about a millimeter closer to the engaged pawl. I messed with it on and off for a couple of days, playing with the overrun pin off and then back on, and it was still hanging up. I figured I had over torqued it the first time and must have reoriented the pitch of the hole, making it closer to the pawl, so the pawl then didn't have as much travel in the line going out condition. I made a call to Bill Archuleta, but he was 2 months out on repairs. I didn't want to wait for the reel, as I'm ready to fish it possibly in Oregon soon for steelhead and for trout spey here.

I backed the overrun pin off by about a turn and a half to try and start trouble shooting what I had done by over torqueing it. With the overrun pin backed off a little the reel sounded good and the slight hang up/harshness was gone. But, this lead to another issue, which was that the overrun pin now wasn't tight and would probably back out completely and cause further problems while using the reel. I decided to check the space between the overrun pin and the top of the pawl on both sides with a dime and see the tolerance/space difference between the two. The dime would not fit in the space on the right (which is left side engaged pawl if you're looking directly at it) pawl, but would on the left. I thought about just using some Loctite to secure it where it was in its slightly backed off position, where it functioned properly, but decided that wasn't feasible on a new reel.

So, I got the dime and put it between the top of the pawl and the overrun pin that was now slightly backed off and pushed/manipulated on the overrun pin as I gently snugged up the pin. This did the trick, where by pushing on the pin slightly, it moved it and gave just enough clearance to match the other side and the dime fit between the pin and pawl at this point. I put it back together and it is now how it should be, with the slight hanging up gone and back to normal. The pin was then snugged up and hasn't moved, so I'm confident all is well with the reel now. I could have just fished it without the ovverun pin in place, but I wanted it there. I'm glad I was able to fix my overtightening mistake. So, for anyone who is switching over a larger, new age Perfect, DO NOT overtighten the overrun pin, as I believe the extra torque I initially applied drew the pin toward the pawl enough to interfere with the pawl not being able to travel/rock enough without hitting the pin too early.

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
I had to look up what the heck an over run pin was. I guess mine are old and they didn't have these.

Reactions: Ard

ghostrider408

Reaction score
Exactly, the older don't and neither do the new, smaller ones. I think on the new ones, the overrun pins start on the 3 7/8 size on up. I guess they put it there to prevent the reel from going into free spool. I'm not sure if that's absolutely necessary or not, as the older ones have landed some big salmon and steelhead. I tried to find some information about the overrun pin too, but there isn't much at all out there, so I figured I may save someone some grief about overtightening that pin like I did, lol.