Abel Nippers

coug

Reaction score
Me too, never do understand why people get so excited about nippers or anything else that either cost too much or too little. I have the nippers and an Abel perfect tool around on my lanyard at all times when fishing. Nothing else. If you like them, great, but I do not really care that much. If you do not like them, great, but I do not give two hoots about that either.

losthwy

Reaction score
Currently Westminster, Co. Headed to "West Slope"
They are a nice looking tool. Are they worth it? That is a personal choice. My choice is spending elsewhere. For nippers three main things- 1- do they work well. 2-do they have a hook eye clearing needle. 3- Can I easily sharpen them. That said, like tcorfey, find myself using combo hemostats more these days.

okaloosa

Reaction score
They are a nice looking tool. Are they worth it? That is a personal choice. My choice is spending elsewhere. For nippers three main things- 1- do they work well. 2-do they have a hook eye clearing needle. 3- Can I easily sharpen them. That said, like tcorfey, find myself using combo hemostats more these days.
which model is best bang for the buck?

losthwy

Reaction score
Currently Westminster, Co. Headed to "West Slope"
Anglers Image makes a good nipper with a retractable needle (that is attached to my shirt)$18. Umpqua is isn't bad. It is small and light (attached to my pack) $10. When the nippers get dull I sharpen them with very fine grit sandpaper by laying the sandpaper on a hard, flat surface and running the closed nipper face over it. Dr Slick makes a good hemostat with scissors $17. Been using that for 20 years and it still cuts tippet well.

JoJer

Reaction score
I might be the cheapest of the cheap: I used to use nail clippers and I added a hook-eye cleaner made from a straight pin. I attached it with a pop rivet. Sharpened it to fit smaller eyes.

thomasw

Reaction score
Have you seen the TV add for something with a Sasquatch...Lady calls him "Bigfoot", he looks at his big foot and says, "My name is Dale". She uses a fingernail clipper too.

I need another month or so of Isolation before I engage in a Nipper thread. The Abel's do cut nice and precise though...especially in Brown Trout anodization.
SS, this post gets my vote as the most ironically funny in recent memory... especially since you did 'engage' in the thread even if in a very, very humorous way! BTW, it is a well proven fact, with loads of experimental evidence to back it, that the cut with the Abel cutthroat anodization gives a superior precision edge :) Thanks for the chuckle during this isolation, SS. -TW

fffl

Reaction score
I have two pair of ABLE nippers. I believe I got them on sale , I hope so. They are a waste of money in my opinion . They are big and the blades don't always line up properly for cutting. The cheep good quality Loon nippers at $10 with the pin for cleaning the eye of the hook work better. As for the Able warranty , if you need a warranty for nippers you have a problem .

dipaoro

Reaction score
After all of my research and understand, apparently it's required to get the "special paint" Abel Nippers for perfect cuts every time. But seriously, I think we all would agree this is personal preference. I do plan to buy one (black) when my credit on a specific site is high enough to buy them for $35 or $10. I would not spend a dollar more.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
As someone might say, "What, an Abel reel costs X+$ and it is just a line holder?"

I would rather have the Abel VAYA than the Nipper...but I already have the Nipper. So...

trev

Reaction score
I haven't bought new nippers in years but I think most of my several pairs are Revlon.
I'll keep Abel in mind if I ever wear out the Revlons or if I feel the need to upgrade.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I don't have Abel nippers but I do understand the pleasure one derives from using high quality tools; I have several Lie-Nielsen hand planes and aside from working perfectly they are beautiful to look at and hold in your hand, almost like jewelry (now that is something I really don't get, jewelry; it just sits there, it doesn't do anything).

By the way, I used to use a regular nail clipper but it can be frustrating trying to manipulate the little lever into position when you only have one hand free. And they don't last long in salt water. So I bought a cheap nipper at Sierra, it works ok.

LePetomane

Reaction score
The ideal tool would be the Abel hemostat if it had a mechanism to cut line. As far as a needle to clean head cement from the eye of the hooks, I just use the point of the hook from another fly. One less gadget.

Hatch makes some pricey tools also.

upstreamcast

Reaction score
ABEL reels and nippers are top quality...they have it all in Form, Fit & Function. Expensive, yes. But, more than just line holders and tools. Some Flyfishers not only like the quality of Abel, but love the look and custom finish on Abel reels, nippers, pliers, etc. If you are more utilitarian in your wants/needs ROSS makes excellent reels at lower costs. Excellent lower cost nippers can be had from Orvis (one made in USA)...as wells as top quality reels in their Mirage, Hydros and Battenkills (Battenkill reels - Disc & Click - IMHO are outstanding reels for the money). There are lots of other mfgs making terrific gear for us.

Flyfishers are so lucky to have so much superb gear to choose from. And much of it is Made in USA. Rods and Reels especially. Great gear. Take your pick.

Please note.....I am a big fan of Abel reels and nippers. I value them not only as tools, but heirlooms to be past on. Guess you could say I'm a little bias. ;)