Abel Nippers

iv_wjb

Reaction score
I have to say, the more I use my Abel nippers, the more I like them. The hook-eye cleaner is awkward but, I am used to it now and have no trouble using it to clean the eye of cement or debris. They’re slim, compact and cut anything I need. They do what they were intended to do. Simple. No fuss, no muss.

leadfootedfool

Reaction score
That's interesting as I'd never be without my Abel Nippers hanging around my neck out in the middle of nowhere.They're as important to me as my Sunglasses and Hat.
That’s how I feel about my Orvis nippers. It’s awfully nice to have choices on well made gear (y)

rangerrich99

Reaction score
I likewise went down the Orvis nipper rabbit hole, after being reasonably happy with Simms nippers for several years.

The Orvis nippers are great, but not without issues, albeit relatively minor ones.

The cleaner needle is somewhat awkward to access and involves rotating the silver thingy the cord attaches to; this can be a little difficult, but not nearly as impossible as with the Abel nippers.
Try grabbing the nippers and rotating them 90 degrees from the direction of the cord/lanyard and push straight away from yourself. The little silver metal loop should just rotate out. Of course, you have to grab the nippers with the correct hand; the wrong one and the thing won't rotate.

Or you can just remind yourself that when the top of the nippers is facing out, grab with your left hand. Either way works lot faster and easier than trying to turn that tiny loop with your big fat fingers.

original cormorant

Reaction score
Try grabbing the nippers and rotating them 90 degrees from the direction of the cord/lanyard and push straight away from yourself. The little silver metal loop should just rotate out. Of course, you have to grab the nippers with the correct hand; the wrong one and the thing won't rotate.

Or you can just remind yourself that when the top of the nippers is facing out, grab with your left hand. Either way works lot faster and easier than trying to turn that tiny loop with your big fat fingers.
So Orvis don't supply an operating manual, Do Abel provide full user instructions?

myt1

Reaction score
And another thing about the Orvis nippers:

While their ability to cut line is great, due largely to the offset handle, the handle itself presents its own set of problems.

The handle sticks out and presents a larger profile and as a result it gets caught on stuff. More than a few times I have had line get wedged between the handle and the main body of the nipper.

I wonder if it might be better to have a folding handle that collapses down when not in use, like fingernail clippers?

original cormorant

Reaction score

While their ability to cut line is great, due largely to the offset handle, the handle itself presents its own set of problems.

The handle sticks out and presents a larger profile and as a result it gets caught on stuff. More than a few times I have had line get wedged between the handle and the main body of the nipper.

I wonder if it might be better to have a folding handle that collapses down when not in use, like fingernail clippers?
That issue has been raised before. If you really want to re-design the orvis nippers then the lanyard should feed through the hinge so it hangs lever down.

rangerrich99

Reaction score

Uh, I just stick them in my shirt pocket? Seems to work for me.