Ad blockers - a plea

Editor

Fish&Fly
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Hi all,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I hope you are all well and managing to keep busy despite not being able to fish![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I know many of you don't like the ads on the forum and so use adblockers to hide them. The coronavirus pandemic is having a negative impact on online publishers and advertisers, and so we've been told to expect a big drop in ad revenue for the site. This has serious implications for our ability to keep the site going. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So I would like to ask those using ad blockers to consider turning them off for the time being to help us to get through this. I know the ads can be annoying but they really are the reason that the forum is able to continue, so if you can bear it, please do! We may have to add more adverts to the forum for those not using ad blockers - we really want to avoid this if we can![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]All the best,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Kirsty[/FONT]

dillon

Reaction score
I don’t use an ad blocker, but the only ad that really annoys me is the large McAfee one that covers most of my inbox making my “likes” and quoted posts very difficult to read. Not that I get many though...

dennyk

Reaction score
I will give it another try. The computer I have is an old Windows 7 machine that is no longer supported or updated, the ads have a pretty negative affect on the way the machine performs. Things get jumbled up and slows the computer way down. Some of the ads completely cover the masthead making it very difficult to use.

If I can't get along without the ad blocker I would be happy to make a financial contribution to this site.

Denny

Editor

Fish&Fly
Reaction score
I will give it another try. The computer I have is an old Windows 7 machine that is no longer supported or updated, the ads have a pretty negative affect on the way the machine performs. Things get jumbled up and slows the computer way down. Some of the ads completely cover the masthead making it very difficult to use.

If I can't get along without the ad blocker I would be happy to make a financial contribution to this site.

Denny
If the ads cause problems when you use the site, please don’t feel you have to drop the ad blocker! I only meant for those who can still use the site comfortably with the ads.
i appreciate the thought though!

Matt4.0

Reaction score
There was a recent thread on the topic of how bad the ads have gotten, to the point of making the site borderline unusable for some forum members. I don’t believe there was any feedback from the editor or any of the site developers on the issue. Perhaps if they at least gave the appearance of actually caring about the user experience more people might be willing to forego as blockers. We all get that ads are necessary but there’s got to be a way to at least get them smaller perhaps.

proheli

Reaction score
Hi Kristy.

Kristy, there must be some middle ground, because I did not use an ad blocker until the site became unusable. Literally. I have a 5k Imac 27". I'm telling you that so you will know a format that the site will not operate on in a usable manner on. I have an Iphone 11, and 60% on the right side of the screen is ads. That means there is like an 1 1/4 inch of usable screen on the left side of the phone. It's just not functional. This doesn't even take into account the "screen jumping." Asking me to take off the ad blockers is like telling me to go away and never come back. You guys have to take responsibility for the money making system you have created.

The best solution I have seen is just to offer an ad free membership for $20 a year. Then you guys will make a ton.

The thing I don't hear anyone talking about is how many new users you guys are losing because new people that come to the site just give up and never come back. Not everyone out there is a tech whiz to solve the over-adisized system you guys have decided to use.

It must be assumed that your owners and tech-guys know exactly what they are doing. Which is to keep adding more and more adding and flashing and resizing and jumping to make more and more money until the users start to scream. Well, they have been screaming for about a year or more, but you guys just keep adding ads, so, even without asking, we already know your position. And you are using the free internet, that we all pay for in one manner or another, so... I'd say tell your guy to be reasonable and not be so greedy. Allow the site to be functional and then people wouldn't have to get ad blockers in the first place. But again, you guys already know all this. So, we just meet in the middle where we meet.

Best, Gregg

Editor

Fish&Fly
Reaction score
Hi Matt and Gregg,

I haven't seen the thread about ads, please can you show me? I must be having a different experience with the ads because I can generally only see one at the side, which takes up maybe 1.5 of the page width, and one at the bottom. I'm on a Mac laptop. I certainly don't want the site to be unusable and of course I care about the user experience, and if the ads are causing problems then we need to look at that.

Contrary to what some may believe there is not a big corporate machine behind all of this - it's just me, my dad (largely retired), and a technical consultant we get to help us out with development, plus our wonderful moderators. The ads are handled by a third party and we generally do what they recommend, but avoid the really intrusive pop up ads/videos etc which would earn more money, because we recognise how annoying they are. The revenue is really not that much and barely covers the running costs. We haven't added any new ads recently to my knowledge and there certainly shouldn't be pop ups or flashing ones - please send me screenshots if so!
We are not the enemy, we are just trying to keep the site going and I want to work with you to get the balance right! I certainly am not suggesting that anyone stops using an ad blocker if the site is then made unusable for them.

trev

Reaction score
I don't think I have any ad blockers, but there is large white space on some pages that appear to be ads left out, There is a banner that covers all the top row of navigation in the masthead (where the notifications and profile stuff is)
But the real problem I have is that as the right side ad reloads every ten seconds or so it reloads the whole page often causing loss of parts of a post and making it impossible to backspace a page- in the time it took to type this the page has reloaded 8-9 times.
I mentioned all this in the other thread and ...
I don't mind the ads as ads (some might even be interesting) but it seems they are disrupting the rest of the page.

brownbass

Reaction score
I have unblocked this site. I have at least a quarter of the page covered by adds. I feel if it gets worse I can put the blocker back on. Management should realize tasteful adds can be tolerated, tasteless adds will lose them, viewers.

Bill

GlennNY

Reaction score
I'm happy to turn off my AdBlocker but is just having it off going to do it? I thought the revenue came from clicking the ads.

Editor

Fish&Fly
Reaction score
It’s late here in the UK so just replying quickly, but one thought I had - are those with ad problems using mobile devices? If so, make sure you are on the ‘default mobile’ setting. There should be an option in the bottom left of the screen to select this. It does make the site look better on mobile devices!
Also the ad revenue is from ad views not necessarily clicks so it should help, I hope. But again, please don’t turn off the ad blockers if it makes the site unusable for you!

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I don't use an adblocker on my my main desktop and the ads themselves aren't a big deal. But the screen jumping, or whatever you call it, is. If i I want to write a long comment I have to use a text editor and copy/paste, because if I am typing directly into the forum screen and the screen jumps (I understand that is because of ads loading) everything can be lost.

FlymanSJB

Reaction score
I found that using Adblock plus bogged down my MacBook Pro worse than the ads did. I dont get any pop up ads here and it runs pretty decent as of late but I notice that McAfee ad now jumps over and blocks viewing and if I scroll down it goes back to the side, the forum jumps up and down a lot when the size of the ads change.

Paying a subscription I think would be a hardship for the forum because how do you moderate paying customers and with all the options out there on social media and what not I think a lot of people would leave.

Ive seen far worse ads and annoying stuff elsewhere but the jumping screen and blocking ads are getting annoying when trying to contribute.

I`d hate to lose the forum made a number of friends here and good fishing buds. I hope you can make it through these trying times, and thank you for all you do.

JDR

Reaction score
I am quite surprised that nothing has been mentioned about the threads complaining about the ads. There have been a lot of dissatisfied users voicing their concerns for at least the past year, as the problem has gotten noticeably worse. I do not use a phone or mobile device to access this site. I use a Mac and will turn off my ad blocker that I added about two months ago, only because I could no longer use the site. As a point of information, where should we send our concerns about a deteriorating site experience?

Last edited:

bonefish41

Reaction score
Miss K:
I also use Windows 7 because it stays out of my old fashion way and a 32in Monitor and my desk top whatever my graphics hardware does it gives me about 60% of my screen with all the ads. But my brief is as with others who have said the reloading and jumping...it's only with my 32 that the site is useable. My 13 laptop and Samsung 9Plus covered up and the jumping on those machines reminds me of subliminal examples in my psychology 200 level class. Just before this post my screen showed Comcast Business, Level Up, Comcast jumped to right column, then Rose Gal covered Comcast, then Legal Lost your job, then the ever present right column Bothea Teas, then McAfee covered Bothea, then Bothea jumped above McCafee, very bottom Discount Tire...at least you have eliminated inane direct and indirect political ads.

Speaking for myself I can say with absolute certainty than none of the ads displayed have ever caused me to open them immediately upon viewing or subsequently. Because I come here for flyfishing intelligence not online shopping.

el jefe

Reaction score
I don't mind ads, and understand their support of the site. Occasionally, I will even click on one of interest. But they have come to dominate the screen. With the uncloseable ad bar to the right, and the ad bar along the bottom that can be closed, and the ad bar at the top (which go up and out of the frame when you scroll down), there is no room left for the forum posts. They have been squeezed horizontally and vertically, so there is much less actual site content in a single frame. You often have to scroll just to fully read a single average length post. It is utterly ridiculous. Other forums I frequent don't have nearly this much screen space held hostage by the advertisers. The experience has really become cumbersome, frustrating, and unenjoyable. The way the site works right now, it begs for the use of ad blockers. If the screen coverage were at least reasonable, I don't think you would have so many users using the ad blockers.

jayr

Reaction score
Hi Matt and Gregg,

I haven't seen the thread about ads, please can you show me?
I must be having a different experience with the ads because I can generally only see one at the side, which takes up maybe 1.5 of the page width, and one at the bottom. I'm on a Mac laptop. I certainly don't want the site to be unusable and of course I care about the user experience, and if the ads are causing problems then we need to look at that.

Contrary to what some may believe there is not a big corporate machine behind all of this - it's just me, my dad (largely retired), and a technical consultant we get to help us out with development, plus our wonderful moderators. The ads are handled by a third party and we generally do what they recommend, but avoid the really intrusive pop up ads/videos etc which would earn more money, because we recognise how annoying they are. The revenue is really not that much and barely covers the running costs. We haven't added any new ads recently to my knowledge and there certainly shouldn't be pop ups or flashing ones - please send me screenshots if so!
We are not the enemy, we are just trying to keep the site going and I want to work with you to get the balance right! I certainly am not suggesting that anyone stops using an ad blocker if the site is then made unusable for them.
https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/...3996-interfering-adds.html?highlight=blockers

As for my experience, I primarily view this site on my iPad. I sometimes but rarely use my iPhone. I also use a standard PC. But most of my viewing is on the tablet and frankly the ads became so bad I could not even view the articles/posts. They would take up the entire part of the posts I was trying to read.