Ad blockers - a plea

JoJer

Reaction score
I really like this site. I get to talk to a lot of new anglers and tiers. I always try to send them to this site for its' trove of experts. It's an easy sell: I tell them it's free, it's clean, it's well moderated, it's safe for kids, forum member discounts from sponsoring manufacturers, good source for used gear, with member vetting and reviews. Any time-middle of the night, whatever- if you think up some question regarding any minutia of fly fishing it's been asked here before, but there's probably an old guy awake on the site who'll answer it again.
Now that I think about it, maybe we should be paying for it.

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It’s not the ads, which are ridiculous. It’s primarily the content of the site, not worth paying for or dealing with all the crazy ads.

Still a good place for some mold fitting noobs though.

Hope all is well and thank you for the efforts.

Last edited by a moderator:

okaloosa

Reaction score
It’s not the ads, which are ridiculous. It’s primarily the content of the site, not worth paying for or dealing with all the crazy ads.

Still a good place for some mold fitting noobs though.

Get rid of that fossil who oversees everything and you will go a long ways towards a rebirth of this site.

Hope all is well and thank you for the efforts.
I truly hope you are joking because otherwise you come off sounding like a real .........

JDR

Reaction score
Editor, thank you for taking our concerns seriously. I look forward to the new format/software. Will the new software allow for uploading photos without a third-party host?

proheli

Reaction score
Editor, thank you for taking our concerns seriously. I look forward to the new format/software. Will the new software allow for uploading photos without a third-party host?
I upload pictures without a 3rd party host. I have Apple/Safari so maybe that is the reason. I also want to thank the editors for listening.

dillon

Reaction score
I just noticed a political banner ad on the site. This is not a complaint, but it seems out of spirit with the no politics rule on the forum. I appreciate and support the rule.

yikes

Reaction score
Most of my ads there for awhile were for weed and women's lingerie, I was`nt complaining too much.
Yeah, that doesn't play so well when you're checking the forum on your lunch break at work and the HR person walks by.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Yeah, that doesn't play so well when you're checking the forum on your lunch break at work and the HR person walks by.
I suppose so, I have to work at work, I cannot have anything on my work computer that is not work related. No fly fishing, hunting or electric guitars and amps or Ebay or anything.

manderson2228

Reaction score
Most of my ads there for awhile were for weed and women's lingerie, I was`nt complaining too much.
Most ad's read cookies from your browsing history to present you with ad's it feels is relevant based on that. So.......... No judgement man!!

JDR

Reaction score
To the OP, I just learned how easy it is to post pictures on this board without a third party host. Please disregard the last question in my previous post. Thanks again for your efforts.

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
You're right, that is not ideal - if you see it again could you send me a screenshot please? The ad company can block it for us. Thanks!

I just noticed a political banner ad on the site. This is not a complaint, but it seems out of spirit with the no politics rule on the forum. I appreciate and support the rule.

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for thew slow response. Yes, the new software should make it easier to upload photos without a third party. I think you'll like it!

yikes

Reaction score
I suppose so, I have to work at work, I cannot have anything on my work computer that is not work related. No fly fishing, hunting or electric guitars and amps or Ebay or anything.
Ah, but on your smartphone you can sneak in a little Rick Beato, Tim Pierce or Five Watt World on YouTube!

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Ah, but on your smartphone you can sneak in a little Rick Beato, Tim Pierce or Five Watt World on YouTube!
For sure, I do love playing in a band and gear that's for sure amongst all the fly fishing. My boss knows me well and is cool. There was a job to wire a new legal grow facility out of state and also a state with great fly fishing and I was like ME ME ME! I`ll manage it! I he looked at me and was like no way.

ts47

Reaction score
On the ads and ad revenue, my thoughts are;
1. Based on how intrusive the ads were on the old site, I would pay a nominal ($20 annually) membership fee for an ad free experience if you offered such a service.
2. You could do a better job with corporate sponsor links. Having a list somewhere that was kept current, we could easily find and was in alphabetical order would allow us to help support the site. I'm thinking a thread pinned at the top somewhere...
3. Managing how intrusive the ads are will go a long way toward reducing the number of users with ad blocking software.
I understand your need for revenue from the site to cover expenses. If there is something I can do within reason to help support the continuing operation of this site, I am happy to support that need.