Advice for Colorado trip Sept/Oct

joe_strummer

Reaction score
We are now looking at Avon as a base as we have found a condo at a good price. It may not be as centrally located as we wanted but we'll be right on the Eagle River and what looks to be a great area. I'll have more time to research it tomorrow but everything is looking very positive.
Gore Creek is nearby, you're closer to the Blue and the upper Colorado, there's some nice cutt fishing up there in the Holy Cross wilderness, hopping over to the upper Arkansas or even South Park is easier from there, and Basalt's only about 90 minutes away as long as a rock doesn't punch a hole in the interstate in Glenwood Canyon. I think you'll find that's a good place to sleep too.

okiekev

Reaction score
There is one you need to add, and it's the White River west of Meeker. PM me and I'll give you more details on where to go on that river.
This is great advice as I lived there for a summer fishing every night after work. The only challenge is that late in summer it can get low and warm, therefore I would suggest going east of Meeker (upstream) and finding some access. Great fishing river but can load up with whitefish when it gets hot.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
This is great advice as I lived there for a summer fishing every night after work. The only challenge is that late in summer it can get low and warm, therefore I would suggest going east of Meeker (upstream) and finding some access. Great fishing river but can load up with whitefish when it gets hot.
Testify brother, testify! :amen:

I have been PM-ing back and forth with with him, and told him about my favorite place on the river. I'd like to send him to the camp site on Rd. 10, SouthFork State Park I think it's called, but he wants to stay away from the crowds. I also mentioned Trappers Lake, so if anything, I think he'd like the scenery there.

okaloosa

Reaction score
Gore Creek is nearby, you're closer to the Blue and the upper Colorado, there's some nice cutt fishing up there in the Holy Cross wilderness, hopping over to the upper Arkansas or even South Park is easier from there, and Basalt's only about 90 minutes away as long as a rock doesn't punch a hole in the interstate in Glenwood Canyon. I think you'll find that's a good place to sleep too.
It is very easy to get to South Park in late September and October....just follow all the cars with rod racks......especially on the weekends....

okiekev

Reaction score
Testify brother, testify! :amen:

I have been PM-ing back and forth with with him, and told him about my favorite place on the river. I'd like to send him to the camp site on Rd. 10, SouthFork State Park I think it's called, but he wants to stay away from the crowds. I also mentioned Trappers Lake, so if anything, I think he'd like the scenery there.
I worked for an outfitter who had a ranch on the river about ten miles out of meeker and about 2 miles above the bridge access. I had some pretty reliable fished almost named in that area including my biggest cutthroat ever.

On the weekends, we would head up to Trappers and fish, that place was beautiful. There is also a ton of little brook trout streams in the high country. During elk scouting trips, we would always try to find a new one. Man I miss that area!

dave b

Reaction score
Gents

Thank you for your help. Everything is booked and confirmed, flying into Denver International mid Sept, staying in Denver overnight on the west side of the city before driving to Silverthorne and popping into Cutthroat Anglers first thing Wednesday morning and hopefully having a few hours on the Blue River before driving to our accommodation in Avon in the evening.

Really looking forward to it as it will be our first visit to the USA.

I've been busy at the Vise tying some nymphs and indicator flies in preparation of our visit.

20200202_130311.jpgnymphs for colorado.jpg

photoguy

Reaction score
Some great advice already-

We did a similar trip last August. Flew into Denver and then took 8 days to drive to Grand Junction and back, fishing along the way. Our longest time in one spot was Basalt and the Frying Pan which we really loved. We connected with a guide for our first afternoon on the river who showed us around to a bunch of spots we likely wouldn't have found on our own and dialed us in on fishing techniques that were productive for our next few days. Frying Pan Anglers was a good source for guides and info and we even stayed in a cabin that they own with some private water. Basalt is a great town and I'm hoping to get back there someday.

Sounds like a great trip, have fun!

prmike307

Reaction score
Consider instead heading north from Denver to fish the North Platte tailwaters near Casper, Wyoming.

manderson2228

Reaction score
Ard

I believe it's a 3 hr drive to Glenwood Springs from Denver Airport.

Depending on the flight times and what time we arrive, we may stay over in Denver for the first night, with a view to fishing the Upper Colorado around Avon in the morning before driving to our accommodation in the early evening.

Alternatively if the flights arrive around lunch time, we may book accommodation around Avon for the first night and fish the river in the morning before driving onto Glenwood.
It's a 3 hour drive yes, but honestly probably the most gorgeous 3 hours of driving i've ever done.

dave b

Reaction score
Gents what hatches can I expect mid to late September on the Upper Colorado, Eagle and Blue Rivers? Just trying to make sure I tie the right patterns. Also will we be too early for the start of the browns starting to run to the upper reaches from the reservoirs?

photoguy

Reaction score
We were there a little earlier, about the second week of August. Had great luck on the Eagle and Frying pan with a 2 fly set-up. Typically a parachute adams as an dry indicator and a nymph or soft hackle below. We caught on all 3.

zpope

Reaction score
Dave,
Your trip sounds awesome and it sounds like you’ve done an impressive amount of research from abroad to come up with that list, sounds like you're in good hands with all these suggestions.

I’d also make a suggestion to check out a new mapping resource for Colorado called TroutRoutes (full disclosure I am currently employed there). We’ve spent a couple years mapping our and rating trout streams in Colorado, studying and mapping out public land parcels like easements, SWAs, state parks, and we’ve also mapped out tons of trails, parking spots, and a bunch else. We have stream flow data integrated into the system as well so you can check out flows before and during the trip. It’s currently a free resource on the Apple and Android store, I would be pretty surprised if you didn’t find it useful both before and during your trip. Hit me up if you have any questions or suggestions on it. Tight lines!

Example attached is a portion of the upper Gunnison, with SWA easements, other public land and a bunch of parking spots and trails.

Gunnison River - Access view.jpg

Apple App Store:
TroutRoutes on the App Store

Android Play store:
TroutRoutes - Apps on Google Play

dave b

Reaction score
Thank you for the above. I have seen the App and used an online version to download directions to various locations on the rivers. It is superb and great for both visitors and local residents.

joe_strummer

Reaction score
Gents what hatches can I expect mid to late September on the Upper Colorado, Eagle and Blue Rivers? Just trying to make sure I tie the right patterns. Also will we be too early for the start of the browns starting to run to the upper reaches from the reservoirs?
BWOs. There can still some tricos around in some places. If weather is nice, some places will have PMDs hanging on into the middle of the month, along with Yellow Sallies, and terrestrials. Caddis.

dave b

Reaction score
Unfortunately with the current situation as it is with Coronavirus we have had to cancel our trip to Colorado in September which is a real shame as we were really looking forward to it and had planned it for some time.

As a consequence we'll lose our deposit on the flights and car we booked but will get a full refund on the accommodation.

Not what we had hoped for but health and welfare and that of our families comes first and we can always fish another day and rearrange the trip once there is a vaccine and the virus has run its course.

Thank you very much for all those who contributed with advice.

Stay well and keep safe in these trying times.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
It's a 3 hour drive yes, but honestly probably the most gorgeous 3 hours of driving i've ever done.
With the traffic these days, you better make it 4 hrs., if you don't get stuck on Floyd Hill in a traffic jam. Been there, done that, and it's not a fun activity. We now cross the Divide going over Trail Ridge or going up Poudre Canyon. It may take an hour longer, but it's better than sitting in traffic for a few hours inching it up the mountains.

Your plan on staying in Denver the first night and heading over in the morning is your best bet Dave. But go at sun up to beat the traffic. Fri. afternoons are terrible these days. And coming back isn't so fun either depending on what day you're heading back to Denver.

So keep all this in mind if you rebook your trip. I'm sorry you won't be coming this year.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
With the traffic these days, you better make it 4 hrs., if you don't get stuck on Floyd Hill in a traffic jam. Been there, done that, and it's not a fun activity. We now cross the Divide going over Trail Ridge or going up Poudre Canyon. It may take an hour longer, but it's better than sitting in traffic for a few hours inching it up the mountains.

Your plan on staying in Denver the first night and heading over in the morning is your best bet Dave. But go at sun up to beat the traffic. Fri. afternoons are terrible these days. And coming back isn't so fun either depending on what day you're heading back to Denver.

So keep all this in mind if you rebook your trip. I'm sorry you won't be coming this year.

Sadly and Unfortunately, Scotty is spot on.....Colorado driving times have escalated substantially in the last decade and continue to increase...even barring weather complications or road construction....commuting even within the Denver Metro area can be mind numbing. Castlerock to Northglenn or Thornton can be well over an hour....anything requiring a freeway commute through or past Denver proper can add 45 minutes to a trip. Mountain Traffic on any of the major corridors is hideous...summer bad, winter worse, fall aweful, spring terrible...what was once an easy hour and a half drive Denver to close skiing can now be a 3 hour nerve wrecking obstacle course. Sad, but it isn't likely to improve. Reaching recreation in Colorado from metro areas has become akin to planning a short weekend vacation.

okaloosa

Reaction score
Sadly and Unfortunately, Scotty is spot on.....Colorado driving times have escalated substantially in the last decade and continue to increase...even barring weather complications or road construction....commuting even within the Denver Metro area can be mind numbing. Castlerock to Northglenn or Thornton can be well over an hour....anything requiring a freeway commute through or past Denver proper can add 45 minutes to a trip. Mountain Traffic on any of the major corridors is hideous...summer bad, winter worse, fall aweful, spring terrible...what was once an easy hour and a half drive Denver to close skiing can now be a 3 hour nerve wrecking obstacle course. Sad, but it isn't likely to improve. Reaching recreation in Colorado from metro areas has become akin to planning a short weekend vacation.
Those visiting and planning their trips based on the GOOGLE map directions estimated time of arrival are going to be sadly disappointed, especially if they are on their way back to the airport.
a side note of interest: at the airport, check out BLUCIFER, the large blue mustang statue that actually killed its creator:

Is The Horse A Killer?
Horst wanted to know more about the inspiration that led New Mexico artist Luis Jiménez to create the stallion and “what exactly happened with the artist and the ultimate demise of him.”

The sculpture did kill its creator. That part is true. But is it cursed?

Luis Jiménez died in 2006 at 65, after a part of “Mustang” came loose while he was working on it. It severed an artery in his leg and he bled to death.

There are three main sections that make up the massive sculpture: the head, torso and hindquarter. And shortly before his passing, the artist had declared the head section done.

Jiménez’s studio later completed “Mustang” and installed it in 2008, more than 15 years after it was commissioned — there had been a number of delays with the sculpture, which led to lawsuits.

bluemustang.jpg.CROP.promo-large2.jpg