Advice for Ennis trip at the end of June

wwfoste

Reaction score
I'll be headed to Ennis in June with my parents and was looking for any thoughts on the trip. My dad's been going there yearly for over 20 years so he knows most of the area, but he is also limited mobility-wise so he hasn't been able to get to some areas. I've been there twice, once just in Ennis and another time briefly before we did a horseback fishing trip in the Northwest section of Montana, but both of those were 16+ years ago.

We'll be going for 8 days with 2 days taken on float trips with the same guide he's been using for those 20 years. The other days we were looking at rivers like the Ruby, West Fork of the Madison, Gallatin, and going to Yellowstone. My dad's fished most of the rivers in Yellowstone and we were looking at Soda Butte or Lava Creek. I was also looking for a few options of hiking into places, right now I've been thinking of trying the Slough Creek meadows. Any other suggestions to look into?

I've also been tying up a bunch of flies based on the various hatch charts I've seen plus talking with the guide some,but any recommendations there would be good too.

I've read through a few similar threads here too, like this one: https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/...dvice-for-ennis-area-beginning-of-may.634953/

Last edited:

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
June the waters will likely be high so still waters could also be a good option. All of the waters you list are great places and you’d be lucky to find yourself at any or all.

you got it.

Last edited:

Fishinphysician

Reaction score
You will want to check out how Henry’s Lake, Wade or Cliff lakes ( near the 3 dollar bridge) are fishing at that time for still waters (contact the Slide Inn- Kelly Galloup’s shop) and if there is a Green Drake hatch going on at the Henry’s Fork of the Snake at the Railroad Ranch ( contact the TroutHunter or Henry’s Fork Angler) . Also you may want to check out where on the Madison or surrounding rivers that the Salmon fly hatch is going on. Your Father’s guide should have a handle on this information. Good luck and tight lines! I’ll be out there at the end of June...can’t wait as haven’t been there for a few years now.

silver creek

Reaction score
If you are staying outside of Yellowstone Park, fishing Slough Creek is very difficult because of the traffic in the YNP and the time you need to get to Slough Creek.

As for Henry's Lake, Wade or Cliff lakes, you will need a boat or float tubes. There is not much fishing from shore. Note how close the trees are to the edge of the lakes in most places. Here are aerial views of Wade and Cliff.

Wade Lake:

Cliff Lake

Last edited:

planettrout

Reaction score
I'll be headed to Ennis in June with my parents and was looking for any thoughts on the trip. My dad's been going there yearly for over 20 years so he knows most of the area, but he is also limited mobility-wise so he hasn't been able to get to some areas. I've been there twice, once just in Ennis and another time briefly before we did a horseback fishing trip in the Northwest section of Montana, but both of those were 16+ years ago.

We'll be going for 8 days with 2 days taken on float trips with the same guide he's been using for those 20 years. The other days we were looking at rivers like the Ruby, West Fork of the Madison, Gallatin, and going to Yellowstone. My dad's fished most of the rivers in Yellowstone and we were looking at Soda Butte or Lava Creek. I was also looking for a few options of hiking into places, right now I've been thinking of trying the Slough Creek meadows. Any other suggestions to look into?

I've also been tying up a bunch of flies based on the various hatch charts I've seen plus talking with the guide some,but any recommendations there would be good too.

I've read through a few similar threads here too, like this one: https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/...dvice-for-ennis-area-beginning-of-may.634953/

Make certain that you have some of these, in #14, with a chartreuse tag - for the Madison from the channels section up to Varney Bridge...(y)

PT/TB

dtaylo1066

Reaction score
June in YNP the water will likely be too high in most streams, especially the Lamar River valley. You could try the Firehole. It's a long drive from Ennis to YNP. Gallatin will probably be too high. The Madison will depend on runoff status. Valley Garden near Ennis is always worth a trip if the water is clear and wadable. Water level and color on the Madison will depend, and you may need to fish above the West Fork. Access on the Ruby is hard to come buy. A long drive, buy you could float on the Beaverhead for a day or try the Big Hole. I would do those instead of YNP as they are often in good shape by June. Better have some Salmon Flies.

wwfoste

Reaction score
Trip summary:

We ended up floating the Madison twice and the Yellowstone once. The Big Hole was already too low to float. Also fished the Ruby in the national park, Slough Creek, the Gibbon, O'Dell Spring Creek, and went down to Valley Garden a few times in the evening. All rivers we fished were in about perfect conditions at the time. The salmonflies were still around, but the trout weren't eating them. We tossed a bunch in the water to see what would happen with no takers and the guide's trick was testing the stomachs to see if there was hard stuff in there, and there wasn't. Caught tons of big fish, between the two boats we probably averaged 75 per day. Tied my biggest rainbow at 18" and got a 18" cutthroat but couldn't beat my biggest overall of 20".

1625325536041.png
1625325561746.png
1625325573807.png
1625325587284.png
1625325598873.png
1625325610324.png
1625325623646.png
1625325639100.png
1625325653520.png
1625325662683.png

Last edited:

golfrod

Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip! Could you share the guides you used as I may be heading in that direction. PM is fine too. Thanks

wwfoste

Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip! Could you share the guides you used as I may be heading in that direction. PM is fine too. Thanks
We used Eaton Outfitters. My dad's been using them since the late 90s. There are plenty to choose from, but I thought they did an excellent job. Chris isn't much an keeping his website up, but they're also the guides for the Madison Valley Ranch.

GAflycaster

Reaction score
Hi
New Member here surfing these forums but thought I would chime in here. I live in GA but SW Montana is my favorite fishing destination, and favorite place in general. I have used Wild Trout Outfitters in Big Sky, MT for fishing on the Madison and I cannot say enough good things about JD(owner) and his guides. They treat us like family every time we go and they go out of their way to always provide a great experience. PM me if you would like more info.
Good Luck!