Aftermarket drag knob for Hydros SL

Sirgrumps

Reaction score
Ok, so one of the biggest complaints about the Hydros SL is the wired drag knob.

So does anyone make an aftermarket replacement drag knob for it?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
What is wrong with the drag knob? I thought when examining this reel when it came out that the issue with it was it felt like one could crush it with you bare hands. Orvis even recommended backing not be wound on under too much pressure to avoid deforming it!
1614781652767.png

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
The photo above is of the new Hydros with the different/"new and improved" knob over what was on the now discontinued Hydros SL. No idea whether the new Hydros knob might fit on a Hydros SL reel (best to call Orvis customer service) or whether some other knob might fit, but I'd personally just get a different reel. I know the SL was popular because of its price point and strong drag, but I just wasn't a fan, though I only handled one and never actually fished one. So YMMV.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
So, I have though do not often use an original Hydros IV. This is a very solid even heavy reel with a drag knob styled like a 3-point propeller. Is this the one in question?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
OK, yes, I see they've changed the drag knob, likely for the better. But the reel looks the same and I imagine they could swap out the old knob for the new one.

grump, Complain to them and they likely will just swap out your reel.

There have only been a few Orvis reels I've actually liked; CFO, SSS, Odyssey, US Vortex...and though I have not used one, their current US made Mirage looks pretty nice.

Sirgrumps

Reaction score
OK, yes, I see they've changed the drag knob, likely for the better. But the reel looks the same and I imagine they could swap out the old knob for the new one.

grump, Complain to them and they likely will just swap out your reel.

There have only been a few Orvis reels I've actually liked; CFO, SSS, Odyssey, US Vortex...and though I have not used one, their current US made Mirage looks pretty nice.
Actually, I prefer the older SL to the newer model.
The drag is rated to be 3 times as strong.
nice to help tire out all those stripers and mini-bones

burk48237

Reaction score
I like mine I rarely have to adjust drag, that's what the palming rims are for. They were great reels at the closeout rate of $139 for the 8 weight model. I bought two because I couldn't find extra spools. Perfect for a streamer trout reel or Carp and smallmouth on my Shortstick!.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
This is the one I have but bigger and in clear aluminum not colored:
1614864495679.png
Is this what you are talking about burk?