AK Fishing Recomendations

only adipose

Reaction score
I will be up in Alaska for most of the summer but will have a week at the end of August to travel. I want to get away from the road system. I am looking for locations that I can fly to and fish. I am not looking to hire a pilot, rather fly to a town one of the smaller airlines and walk/get a ride to an area where I can camp and fish. I am at the very beginning stages of planning this but would love to hear ANY and ALL recommendations. Thanks!

Reaction score
I have fished the Aniak River which runs through the town of Aniak. We actually flew out of Aniak to another river that eventually entered the Aniak. There are outfitters in Aniak who may give you a jet boat ride up the river. Timing is everything. We were there the last week of July and the river was full of salmon and rainbows. Lots of bears too.

bushak

Reaction score
I have fished the Aniak River which runs through the town of Aniak. We actually flew out of Aniak to another river that eventually entered the Aniak. There are outfitters in Aniak who may give you a jet boat ride up the river. Timing is everything. We were there the last week of July and the river was full of salmon and rainbows. Lots of bears too.
I know the Aniak lodge burned down last summer. I'm not sure if there's anyone else running up there. It goes without saying but Covid has hit the region pretty hard as well. I live on the Kuskowkim River and I used to take my JV basketball team to Aniak every year. Most of the villages in the YK Delta have 14 day quarantine. Lodges on the coast shut down for the year and the Kwethluk was packed since that was the only real floatable river.
I will be up in Alaska for most of the summer but will have a week at the end of August to travel. I want to get away from the road system. I am looking for locations that I can fly to and fish. I am not looking to hire a pilot, rather fly to a town one of the smaller airlines and walk/get a ride to an area where I can camp and fish. I am at the very beginning stages of planning this but would love to hear ANY and ALL recommendations. Thanks!
I don't think you will find the kind of fishing experience you are looking for in Western Alaska. Most of the villages will be shut down unless you go directly to a lodge. It's probably not impossible but I don't know any outfit that will take you somewhere by jet boat and leave you for a few days. I live in Bethel, the airport you would fly into if you were flying Alaska Air out of Anchorage, and it's at least 4 hours by jet boat to get to gravel on any of the tributaries. The rivers aren't really set up for hiking around and you'd be limited to maybe a handful of gravel bars.

If it's me, and I'm looking for that kind of experience, I would think about going to Talkeetna and getting a charter to Clear Creek. I know Ard offers some fishing maybe on the Deshka (?) river. The Copper Valley, around Glenallen, might be worth exploring too. I know floating the Gulkana is popular. Somewhere in the Southeast might be worth a look too.

only adipose

Reaction score
Thank you soo much. That is some solid information. I have fished the Deshka a ton. I really want to catch dollies or Arctic charr. Are they planes nonworker can take to Deadhorse? I have a pack raft and was thinking maybe get dropped off on the Dalton hwy somewhere and work my way back to Deadhorse on the Sag. I know fishing isn't incredible there but I think it could be a really cool experience.

bushak

Reaction score
Thank you soo much. That is some solid information. I have fished the Deshka a ton. I really want to catch dollies or Arctic charr. Are they planes nonworker can take to Deadhorse? I have a pack raft and was thinking maybe get dropped off on the Dalton hwy somewhere and work my way back to Deadhorse on the Sag. I know fishing isn't incredible there but I think it could be a really cool experience.
I don't know much about the Dalton highway although I've had friends drive it north of Fairbanks to fish. In Anchorage your best shot for dollies would be mid to late August in Quartz Creek outside of Cooper Landing. You can catch as many as you want in beautiful spawning colors. For arctic char you'll need to find lakes. If you have your own raft you may want to look into the Wood-Tikchik state park. I've had some friends do some week long backpacking trips there with a kayak. It might also be a lot easier to find a bush pilot out of Dillingham.

Acheron

Reaction score
Kwethluk was packed since that was the only real floatable river
Low flows again this year?

Recommendations based on what you've listed...take the road towards Valdez and find lots of fishing, hiking, and camping away from people.

Your idea on the Dalton would be epic and you wouldn't be the first to pack in a raft and fish your way out but you mnight be the only one at that time. Not many crowds there and most people in Aug/Sept are hunting or prepping for hunting. Biggest issue will be water flow. Recent years the flows have been crazy big and filthy, makes for crappy fishing other than in the tribs.

bushak

Reaction score
Low flows again this year?

Recommendations based on what you've listed...take the road towards Valdez and find lots of fishing, hiking, and camping away from people.

Your idea on the Dalton would be epic and you wouldn't be the first to pack in a raft and fish your way out but you mnight be the only one at that time. Not many crowds there and most people in Aug/Sept are hunting or prepping for hunting. Biggest issue will be water flow. Recent years the flows have been crazy big and filthy, makes for crappy fishing other than in the tribs.
The Kwethluk was the only where outfits were doing float trips. The Aniak lodge burned down last year and everything on the coast was closed. I’m sure some people floated the Kiseralik as well.