Alaska fires!

ptarmigan

Reaction score
I think we're at around 1.4 million acres burned up so far this year. 2004 was my first year up here and we had similar conditions that torched over 6 million acres. We're ahead of that year on this date so far. Hard for folks to comprehend how much land that is. We could use a bit of rain.

mikel

Reaction score
I think we're at around 1.4 million acres burned up so far this year. 2004 was my first year up here and we had similar conditions that torched over 6 million acres. We're ahead of that year on this date so far. Hard for folks to comprehend how much land that is. We could use a bit of rain.
I think the lake fire in s Cal is approx 20,000 acres...1.4 million is hard to comprehend. there doesn't appear to be anywhere safe from violent climate change.

Edit: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Alaska_fire_season

6.6 MILLION ACRES BURNED IN 2004. There's a number that doesn't compute for me.

ptarmigan

Reaction score
Just a quick update of our fire season so far. Here is a short writeup from the Alaska DNR-Division of Forestry today. We could use some rain.

This pie graph from the National Interagency Fire Center in Boise, Idaho illustrates what kind of fire season Alaska is having compared to the Lower 48. The estimated acreage burned in Alaska now stands at 2.95 million acres and will surpass the 3-million acre mark today.Things are starting to heat up in the Northwest, though, so it will be interesting to see how the rest of the season pans out.

Yes, you read that right. 3-million acre mark being surpassed today. That's alotta smoke.