Alternative tying material - dog fur?

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Ok, here goes... I have a Rough Collie which has a prodigious coat. Lovely and full, glossy-black, white and mahogany. This “overcoat” of fur protects a downy under-coat of fluffy insulation. Needless to say, she requires a good amount of grooming which results in a lot of “fur” that goes into the wastebasket.

So, I’m wondering... Has anyone used fur or hair from their pets as a tying material?

I hate to throw all this stuff in the garbage and go to the fly shop to buy dubbing material that looks very similar. Maybe, I’m just a spendthrift (or, possibly a little crazy) but, I thought I’d ask whether anyone has ever found this stuff to be useful in fly tying?

JoJer

Reaction score
Sure, lots of folks do this. I have hair at the tying bench from a couple of cats and my old dog. Most of it needs to be chopped a bit.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation!

I assume it depends on the animal's coat but, is the fur you use for multiple applications or, do you find it useful for dubbing only?

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Aw, what beautiful dogs!! Was Kate a flat-coated Retriever? You don’t see many, and they are such beauties!!

Thanks for the ideas / confirmation as to what to do with all this fur!!

E3AE3D49-C1FE-44AD-81E7-10CF785E41D1.jpeg

JoJer

Reaction score
I'd collected a bit Coco's fur before she passed, then got a big bonus pack when I finally pushed the clog out of my shop vacuum hose.
I tied a couple of Stimulators with the fur. My Granddaughter thought they were "Yucky".

I wish I'd gotten some of her fur when she looked like this.
She was a good old dog.

Last edited:

silver creek

Reaction score
Aw, what beautiful dogs!! Was Kate a flat-coated Retriever? You don’t see many, and they are such beauties!!
Kate does look like a flat coat retriever. But she is not a purebred. We think she had some Gordon Setter in her. She has some brown around her paws and her muzzle like the Gordon Setter.

DSC00270.jpg

Here's a Gordon Setter.

She was a rescue from the grandmother of a family that gave her up.

I just couldn't understand that since she was the smartest dog I have ever owned. When she would wind her tie out around the tree and I wanted her to come back in, I would tell her to "Go around the tree" and she would untangle herself and come in.

She loved humans. She would bark at people because she wanted them to come over and pet her.

Whenever she was outside and a neighbor walked by, she would bark until they came by to pet her. We had a young boy who caught the bus to school and whenever he walked by she would bark so he would come and give her a few pets.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Kate does look like a flat coat retriever. But she is not a purebred. We think she had some Gordon Setter in her. She has some brown around her paws and her muzzle like the Gordon Setter.

View attachment 26792

Here's a Gordon Setter.

She was a rescue from the grandmother of a family that gave her up.

I just couldn't understand that since she was the smartest dog I have ever owned. When she would wind her tie out around the tree and I wanted her to come back in, I would tell her to "Go around the tree" and she would untangle herself and come in.

She loved humans. She would bark at people because she wanted them to come over and pet her.

Whenever she was outside and a neighbor walked by, she would bark until they came by to pet her. We had a young boy who caught the bus to school and whenever he walked by she would bark so he would come and give her a few pets.

Very sweet. 👍🏻

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I've never had a dog with long hair, and always had plenty of other fur types on hand for dubbing, so didn't try using dog hair. I've read on various tying forums that others have used what was available to them and I see nothing wrong with doing it provided the dogs are never hurt in doing so. I hate seeing anything wasted too so fully understand using what you have. I've been around some other peoples dogs, where the thought crossed my mind that the hair would make some great streamers! :rolleyes:

I've even acquired a number of packages of women's hair extensions, although all have been synthetic hair. I draw the line at using human hair, although it is available and legal. In part, I would be uneasy about it, as I could envision trying to explain that to a game warden if it was discovered, and the hair is not usually inexpensive. 😜:LOL:

Upstate08

Reaction score
I’ve got an Aussie shepherd who provides an endless supply of both black and white dubbing. He’s a tricolor but the brown on him is too short to tie with. 01841316-6209-457E-BCEE-152DA45D552B.jpeg