Anchors in the waves?

fatbillybob

Reaction score
When fishing 2, how leader is rigged IMO makes a difference too. I know a guide who has loops in his leader and loops on his flys to do fast changes. The dropper fly is 90 degrees to the leader. He seems to think it works and I have taken fish off the 90 degree dropper with him. I have been doing that for the top fly but 80% of my fish are on the bottom fly. I have been doing that to see what flys work.

When I take the time and agony to rig top fly on the leader and make dropper off the top fly hook bend the fish tend to be on either fly. Have you noticed that? I don't think a 90 degree dropper looks right in the water and dooms it to failure.

LOC

Reaction score
I never fished a two fly rig in the salt off the hook shank, only for trout so I can’t help you there. Back in the day when I experimented with a two fly rig it was popular to fish a three way swivel to prevent the line from tangling. I caught doubles on this rig but the fish were eating the paint off the life guard tower. So most likely anything would have worked. Some theories why the bottom fly gets more love is the lead fly gets their attention and if they start a pursuit the second fly is right in their face. This is a old discussion and folks thought if you really wanted to do a honest test you would rig in a spread not point fly and trailer. HTH 😎