Angler Category

What category of fly fishing best describes you?

• Never Tried It: I just browse NAFFF to see what all the excitement is about.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newbie: Recently decided to try fly fishing, but still more proficient in other forms of fishing.

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • Seasonal, type I: I fly fish spring & fall only (summer heat and/or harsh winters play a role here)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Seasonal, type II: I fly fish spring & summer (fall is for hunting, winter for other)

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Part Time, type I: I fly fish 25% or less regardless of season as I prefer other forms of fishing.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Part Time, type II: I fly fish most of the time, but still enjoy the occasional departure.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Full Time: I fly fish 100% of my fishing outings and the rest of my fishing gear collects dust.

Votes: 42 53.2%
  • Other Category: Explain Below…

Votes: 7 8.9%

• Total voters

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I stand chastened.
Don't feel chastened...your rods will last longer and your fishing will be better by changing your grip and rod angle up. You were just fortunate enough to have some real experts give you some great advice.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Deleted ... I didn't read the other comments/advice about breaking rods and did not mean to pile onto the chastening!

ezduzit

Reaction score
"You'll put your eye out!" :) It certainly looks like fly rod abuse, doesn't it?

Before I had fished that rod for 3 weeks it had impressed me enough that I offered to buy it from my friend. But he really didn't want to sell such a lucky rod :) and so priced it at $500, a price he was certain not to get. FYI it appeared to be an Orvis first generation graphite; a 2-piece, 5wt, nothing fancy. But a very strong rod, as I had the naivete to prove.

Though I've fished most of my nearly 72 years, I've never broken a rod, fishing. But even on this trip, I managed to break the tip on my Redington CPX, by (I believe) catching the leader knot on the tip guide while placing the fly on the keeper (in the dark). For $50 Redington replaced the broken tip plus supplied me with a new spare tip.

troutma99

Reaction score
Voted incorrectly. I said number 5 (fly fish 25% of the time because I prefer other types of fishing), but I din't read it right.

I fly fish 25% or less of my total fishing time, but that's because I do a lot of different types of fishing, and trout rivers just happen to be further away from me than the other places I fish. Fly fishing is my favorite type, but I do more, say, spin fishing for bass of carp than fly fishing.

karstopo

Reaction score
I'm a part time II. Too many other ways to fish that I enjoy. Never say never, but I can't see ever being 100% fly all the time. That would mean missing out on some great experiences where a fly rod doesn't make sense.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I checked part time type II, but the seasonal and part time/full time categories aren't mutually exclusive. To be more precise, I am part time type II (actually full time with a few exceptions now and them) in terms of how much of my fishing is done with fly tackle, but I am seasonal type I (again, with a few exceptions) in terms of when I do most of my fishing.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I went with 100% because that is how I have been fishing for the last 3 years.

I have only broke out my other tackle to show the Boy and Cub scouts all the different types of rods and reels and what they are used for.

However, if the Salmon fishing in the ocean ever gets consistent enough or if we get some tuna that come in close to shore my ocean trolling gear will get some use.

My wife has been lamenting the lack of fresh Salmon and Tuna on the table lately. But the Salmon fishing has been very spotty and the Tuna have stayed way off shore.

All my fly fishing is C&R bit ocean trolling I am looking for table fare.

Last edited:

ia_trouter

Reaction score
This was a pretty good poll and thread.

100% on the fly for all cold water species.

For warmwater, there are certain times of the year when fly fishing is really tough, mostly due to oxygen levels. But pure "gear trips" have become rare. I'll occasionally take along a bait caster and try to locate fish with some diving crank baits or whatever. If they happen to be 18ft deep in still water, I might as well avoid the futility of stripping a big streamer just under the surface on a 90 degree day.

don_p

Reaction score
I chose other. I'm retired with a VERY understanding significant other so I fish A LOT during spring, summer, and fall. No winter fishing for this guy. Hate the cold. I'll fish 4 or 5 days a week. I'd say my fishing is about 90% fly fishing for trout and 10% casting / spinning fishing for bass. I still have a bass boat but haven't been using it as much as I used to.

Nonno

Reaction score
I only fly fish when I fish, except with my granddaughter. I am grooming her to start throwing flies, so no more power baits, or Carolina rigs. I fish throughout the year, but less in Winter because I'd rather ski.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
Other : As in I used to be all those other category's but now I'm a beat up old man than can barley walk on a good day . I want to do all those other categories but old man age , a hard life and multiple surgeries have pretty much put me in the ground or crematory as it were . I will however jump in my truck in the morning and head out to some water for a few days if only to sit with my dog and reminisce .